• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This is Urgent (1 Viewer)

lucassss

My mum says that she can get bread that is gonna expire tomorow and freeze it to make it last 1 week longer..we are gonna feed the ducks and i don't know if thats true or not please help me and tell me if it is true or not and if it's not please support me so i can show my mum this forum :eek!:q

My mum says that she can get bread that is gonna expire tomorow and freeze it to make it last 1 week longer..we are gonna feed the ducks and i don't know if thats true or not please help me and tell me if it is true or not and if it's not please support me so i can show my mum this forum :eek!:q

First: do not feed bread to ducks, it's actively bad for them!

Also, welcome ')

From everything I've read over the years, bread is a big no, no.

Welcome aboard lucassss :t:

Hi and welcome to the forum. Agree with the others no bread for ducks.

I see you weren't subscribed to your thread so I subscribed you and this way you will get an email every time someone else posts. There are already quite a few answers for you and your mom ;)

What about peas? My friend has ducks on her smallholding and they LOVE peas. She puts a few frozen peas in a dish of water (they soon thaw out) and then gives it to the birds.

A bag of frozen peas would last ages and if you take them out of the freezer about an hour before you go out they'll be ok to give to the wild birds AND won't pollute the water the way bread does o:)

From the link I posted above:
Good Foods for Ducks
Fortunately, you can offer many other healthy, safe, and nutritious foods to omnivorous birds like ducks, geese, and swans. The best foods have nutrients, minerals, and vitamins that the birds need for healthy growth and development. Many of these foods are similar to the insects, mollusks, seeds, grains, and plants the birds will forage for on their own. The best foods include:

Cracked corn
Wheat, barley, or similar grains
Oats (uncooked; rolled or quick)
Rice (plain white or brown, cooked or uncooked, whole or instant)
Milo seed
Birdseed (any type or mix)
Grapes (cut in half or quartered if very large)
Nut hearts or pieces (any type but without salt, coatings, or flavoring)
Frozen peas or corn (defrosted, no need to cook)
Earthworms (fishing bait or dug from the garden)
Mealworms (fresh or dried)
Chopped lettuce or other greens or salad mixes
Vegetable trimmings or peels (chopped into small pieces)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back