• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (1 Viewer)

Had anticipated a really good night last night but it was fairly devoid of anything exciting or exceptional numbers.

Two more Coronet and a year tick in the form of a Clay, were most notable.

Last edited:
183 moths of 48 species checked so far, a moderate number still in fridge as I had a Coleopterist join me last night to look through the beetles so I got behind with IDs. New for garden (with odd life tick too) - V-Pug, Miller, Small Emerald, Bright-line Brown-eye, Archips crataegana, Dun-bar and Lilac Beauty. The Lilac Beauty I found skulking on a low bit of wall behind a plant pot, but so please I looked - what a stunner, fav of the night. 2nd Pine Hawk of year, 7 Elephants, 2 Small Elephants (looking worn now). 47 Water Veneers. Again some nice moths in the mix.
A night off tonight I suspect so I can do some day time insects tomorrow.
Good luck out there.

Bit of a bumper night last night, 57 moths, 32 species, 10 new for garden (pending ID requests). Two each of Swallow-tailed (stunning), Double Square-spot (not so much) and Yellow-tail, a nice obvious Pug (Foxglove), a fairly under-played Carpet (Sandy), Knot Grass (almost had it down as a Poplar Grey but something didn't quite look right), Single-dotted Wave, Small Angle Shades, Beautiful Hook-tip and Light Emerald. Since starting trapping on 28th May this has increased the garden moth list from 5 to 99 (although at some point I shall revisit some Pug photos, pretty sure there's Common in there somewhere). Other highlights included Peach Blossom, Phoenix, Elephant Hawk, Beautiful Golden Y & Swallow Prominent. Like I said, bit of a bumper night.

Swallow-tailed Moth
Double Square-spot
Yellow-tail
Foxglove Pug
Sandy Carpet

Attachments

• IMG_8740.JPG
    IMG_8740.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8692.JPG
    IMG_8692.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8736.JPG
    IMG_8736.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8712.JPG
    IMG_8712.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8726.JPG
    IMG_8726.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 18
Knot Grass
Single-dotted Wave
Small Angle Shades & Peach Blossom
Beautiful Hook-tip
Light Emerald

Attachments

• IMG_8575.JPG
    IMG_8575.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8718.JPG
    IMG_8718.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8706.JPG
    IMG_8706.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8606.JPG
    IMG_8606.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8584.JPG
    IMG_8584.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 16
Agree with bumper night.
Having emptied the fridge, bar a few going for gen det, I got to 211 of 64 species. Additional new for garden included Large Ivy Tortrix, Haworth's Pug, Ypsolopha sequella (the one with the rabbit on its back; neat), Ancylis achatana, Treble Brown Spot and Mottles Rustic.

Agree with bumper night.
Having emptied the fridge, bar a few going for gen det, I got to 211 of 64 species. Additional new for garden included Large Ivy Tortrix, Haworth's Pug, Ypsolopha sequella (the one with the rabbit on its back; neat), Ancylis achatana, Treble Brown Spot and Mottles Rustic.

Fabulous bunny logo - thanks for the tip! :t:

I also had a bumper crop overnight, finding 91 moths of 27 species this morning.

Four NFY: Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing (I'll be sick of the sight of them in a few weeks but they are very smart moths); Double Square-spot; Vapourer, and September Thorn, which is my first Thorn of the year rather counterintuitively but actually the expected one.

Heart and Darts screamed off into the distance with 32 but Heart and Clubs put up a decent performance with 16. 7 Flames, 6 Uncertains and 4 Riband Waves of which one was a banded individual helped with numbers.

A Leopard Moth added to the quality as did a True Lover's Knot.

Skipping tonight due to forecast heavy rain in the early hours through the morning. Lie-in! :t:

John

And odd night here, low numbers but some decent stuff including Poplar Grey, my second ever Phoenix, three days after my first, three more Coronets, oh and yes a Scarlet Tiger!!!!!!!!

Is there an influx or status change, it's on the Notts list I think but certainly not a moth I ever expected to catch here, best moth I've seen in Notts.

Edit: 'Waring' has it as 'Local SW, S, SE, possible immigrant' but I see that it's now resident in Warks so maybe not as unexpected as I thought?

Below, Tiger, Coronet, Coronets and Poplar Grey.

Attachments

• rsz_20200627_115900_edited_1.jpg
    rsz_20200627_115900_edited_1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200627_114925.jpg
    20200627_114925.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 14
  • rsz_p6270726.jpg
    rsz_p6270726.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Not a great night NE.London- 2 H&D, Treble-Brown Spot, Riband Wave, Blotched Emerald, Cypress Carpet and a lifer with Small-Blood Vein! Are they normally this warm in tonal value?

Cheers

Attachments

• P2250656.jpeg    Small Blood-Vein.jpeg
    P2250656.jpeg Small Blood-Vein.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 25
Not a great night NE.London- 2 H&D, Treble-Brown Spot, Riband Wave, Blotched Emerald, Cypress Carpet and a lifer with Small-Blood Vein! Are they normally this warm in tonal value?

Cheers

This looks pretty norml compared to what I catch but I had a very dark one a few days ago.

I've been told, that in relation to butterflies anyway, the darkness of some individuals can be influenced by temperature fluctuatrions, colder = darker.

Last edited:
This looks pretty norml compared to what I catch but I had a very dark one a few days ago.

I've been told, that in relation to butterflies anyway, the darkness of some individuals can be influenced by temperature fluctuatrions, colder = darker.

Interesting Andy, that temperature might play a part in “the cosmetics”. I enquired because in Lewingtons, it was illustrated and suggested that the base colour was of a sandy persuasion, the subject was somewhat “warmer“ than the image shown.

Cheers

oh and yes a Scarlet Tiger!!!!!!!!

Is there an influx or status change, it's on the Notts list I think but certainly not a moth I ever expected to catch here, best moth I've seen in Notts.

Edit: 'Waring' has it as 'Local SW, S, SE, possible immigrant' but I see that it's now resident in Warks so maybe not as unexpected as I thought?

The recent Atlas has just a couple of post-2000 dots for Notts so must still be a very good local record Andy.

Just got my catch processed before the rain started this morning. Scalloped oak, Grey Dagger agg, fan-foot and three common micros all NFY take me up to 126 for the garden year list. And interesting to get two very different Coronets to compare, a green one and a B+W one: surely should be two species!

Steve

The recent Atlas has just a couple of post-2000 dots for Notts so must still be a very good local record Andy.

Just got my catch processed before the rain started this morning. Scalloped oak, Grey Dagger agg, fan-foot and three common micros all NFY take me up to 126 for the garden year list. And interesting to get two very different Coronets to compare, a green one and a B+W one: surely should be two species!

Steve

Two records this week Steve including mine, another one on the 23rd and one in Lincs the same night.

The Notts total now stands at six I'm told but seems to be a movement right now.

And interesting to get two very different Coronets to compare, a green one and a B+W one: surely should be two species!

Steve

Re the Coronet, there are three forms and I've had them all this week, a very good year for the species here along with Beautiful Hook-tip and Common Footman.

Makes you wonder if the Covid levels of pollution, have aided some species?

Last edited:
Windy here last night but from a direction where the house shelters the back garden. Nothing exciting but 38 moths of 13 species, so still worth doing. 20 Heart and Darts left 6 Heart and Clubs trailing badly. A Dwarf Cream Wave and 2 Peppered Moths best of the rest.

John

55 Macros recorded this month including three 'ticks' but several common species that I would usually have expected to see, still missing e.g Large and Lesser Yelow Underwing, Shuttle-shaped Dart, Peppered Moth and Poplar Hawkmoth.

55 Macros recorded this month including three 'ticks' but several common species that I would usually have expected to see, still missing e.g Large and Lesser Yelow Underwing, Shuttle-shaped Dart, Peppered Moth and Poplar Hawkmoth.

Down the road in Lufbra I have had all of those but only in very small numbers, like one or two. Several locals have commented how scarce Poplar Hawk is this year.
I am missing both Eyed and Lime hawk-moths, and both Flame and Flame Shoulder of the usual commoner species, otherwise I think I have caught most things that I normally do by now.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back