• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket what binocular should I buy? (1 Viewer)

I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket. What binocular should I buy?

Although I really don't want to take them away from my daughter, for 2000 $ I may consider:
https://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=653129&d=1517825790

So please let me know in case you're interested.

Here some excerpts of the review:

(...) very compact, with straight tubes. (...) the low power and the huge exit pupil make it extremly easy to use (...) the optics are superb: cristall clear view and tack sharp all the way to the edges, 3D pop and all. (...) highly recommended!

I`m rather confused by your asking as you usually join in recommending to others asking a similar question.

Seems to me the only two you haven`t owned is an SF or NV, so the question seems redundant to me.

I`d go with an 8x42 SF, black body of course.

I have tried a lot of different 7x binoculars in the past and I always found 7x too weak for me despite it's advantages like DOF and easy eye placement. I like 8x the best and I like 10x IF it has IS like the Canon 10x42 IS-L. I have trouble holding 10x steady.

Makes the choice even easier, get an UVHD 8x42?:smoke:
Or try a pair of 8x42 Noctivids, they might knock you out completely...3:)

Last edited:
A Swaro 15x56 SLC to put on a tripod at your camp site in the Rockies, or to take to interesting vantage points?

That sure gives a different type of view :)

A Swaro 15x56 SLC to put on a tripod at your camp site in the Rockies, or to take to interesting vantage points?

That sure gives a different type of view :)
You know that would be an interesting idea. That would be a great setup over Trail Ridge Road which climbs to over 14,000 feet.

Last edited:
I`m rather confused by your asking as you usually join in recommending to others asking a similar question.

Seems to me the only two you haven`t owned is an SF or NV, so the question seems redundant to me.

I`d go with an 8x42 SF, black body of course.
Those are probably good choices but they are pushing my budget. Thanks, for the suggestion.

Last edited:
I have $2K burning a hole in my pocket. What binocular should I buy? I have a Canon 10x42 IS-L, New Swarovski 8x30 CL, Swarovski 8x25 CL-P and a Nikon 8x30 EII. I have posted on Bird Forum enough so you know what wet's my whistle. I like Swarovski's the best and Zeiss second but you might talk me into a Leica or Nikon if you are very persuasive. I don't want anything too big because I am getting tired of carrying a lot of weight. So forget the Zeiss 8x56 FL. I don't want any Habicht's because I can't stand the veiling glare and hard focus. I want something that is available and is preferably not made in China and that includes Vortex and Zen Ray. Give me some ideas. What binocular have you found that you REALLY like that you think I might like. Remember I am VERY picky. Thanks for your help in my search for the perfect binocular. I know it doesn't exist.

Everyone knows the binoculars I like! Figuring out what YOU'LL like is the problem! ;)

I'd probably try to get a SV 8X32 for around that price. I know you've had one one but it's still probably the way to go. If not THAT, an SLC. For that price I don't think you can beat it. The focus MIGHT be an issue for you as you know but everything else is about perfect! Might me a little heavy. But for $1700-$1800 can you beat it? I don't think so...

Next up is the Leica UVHD+. I have the say if the ER were right for me I'd have the 8x32 UVHD+. Would be a great comparison to the new CL too!

So:
SV 8X32.....if you don't want to repeat yourself SLC. If you want something completely different UVHD+

Problem solved! :smoke:

So:
SV 8X32.....

You've forgotten that the 8x32 EL SV is no good for looking at goats on cliffs against the sun. Yes, I know that was the porro, but same problem here.

Seriously, it's got to be 8.5x42 EL SV or maybe Zeiss 8x42 SF. They are simple, useful tools that work awesomely well. And Dennis has no full-sized 8x bin. He's probably forgotten how functionally enjoyable ( = good tools) they are. Functional is sexy to me.

--AP

Last edited:
Everyone knows the binoculars I like! Figuring out what YOU'LL like is the problem! ;)

I'd probably try to get a SV 8X32 for around that price. I know you've had one one but it's still probably the way to go. If not THAT, an SLC. For that price I don't think you can beat it. The focus MIGHT be an issue for you as you know but everything else is about perfect! Might me a little heavy. But for $1700-$1800 can you beat it? I don't think so...

Next up is the Leica UVHD+. I have the say if the ER were right for me I'd have the 8x32 UVHD+. Would be a great comparison to the new CL too!

So:
SV 8X32.....if you don't want to repeat yourself SLC. If you want something completely different UVHD+

The SLC sounds interesting. Thanks!

You've forgotten that the 8x32 EL SV is no good for looking at goats on cliffs against the sun. Yes, I know that was the porro, but same problem here.

Seriously, it's got to be 8.5x42 EL SV or maybe Zeiss 8x42 SF. They are simple, useful tools that work awesomely well. And Dennis has no full-sized 8x bin. He's probably forgotten how functionally enjoyable ( = good tools) they are. Functional is sexy to me.

--AP
They are so boring though and a little over my $2K budget. I want something new and exciting. You know really they do not introduce many new binoculars and when they do like Leica's retro Trinovid they get delayed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back