• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Triplet of northern birdings reports: Finland, Sweden and Scotland (1 Viewer)

stephenB

Triplet of northern birding reports: Finland, Sweden and Scotland

I had a busy May and June earlier this year, with short birding trips to three different places. There are now illustrated trip reports on my website for the following:

1. Oulu area of Finland, May 2010 for northern owls (on a Finnature excursion). Highlights included Hawk Owl, Great Grey Owl, Pygmy Owl and Tengmalm's Owl. There was a good supporting cast as well with Black Grouse, Capercaillie, Red-footed Falcon, White-tailed Eagle and Common Rosefinch.

2. Lake Annsjon area of central Sweden, June 2010, which produced a chance sighting of Gyr Falcon, plus Siberian Jays and other northern species including some confiding divers.

3. Speyside and Aberdeenshire coast, Scotland, June 2010 for King Eider, breeding seabirds and a few of the Speyside specialities.

All these reports feature a good selection of DLSR pics, and will I hope be useful for any others contemplating visits to these areas

Stephen

I've visited Finland and 'done' the owl's and enjoyed reading your report. Some great photos too. Your pic of Little Stint does look suspiciously like a Temminck's though ;).

I've visited Finland and 'done' the owl's and enjoyed reading your report. Some great photos too. Your pic of Little Stint does look suspiciously like a Temminck's though ;).

I stand corrected! For some reason I just assumed they were Little's and never looked at things like the leg colour closely enough. I've changed the page and thanks for pointing out the error!

Stephen

Always enjoy reading your reports Steve, great detail and great photos too. Your Gyr is very impressive ! Your efforts merited that stroke of luck.

Quality shots of the divers and phalaropes!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back