• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jaeger/Skua from Indonesia (1 Viewer)

orientaldkf

Hi all, was taking a boat within West Sumatra and spotted this juvenile. Wondering if this is a juvenile pomarine skua? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_2457.jpg
    DSC_2457.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_2469.jpg
    DSC_2469.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_2471.jpg
    DSC_2471.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 120
I think it might be Long-tailed?

Obvious contrast in the blackish trailing edge of secondaries and maybe doesn't have the bulk of a Pom?

I am by no means a seabird expert or enthusiast so I could be talking rubbish!

Last edited:
To my eye the bill looks far too dainty for Pom. Agree with Andy the underwing seems a better fit for LTS.

Cheers

Skuas aren’t a really a specialty of mine but I doubt that’s a Long-tailed with that slim, longish bill. Also I think that a LTS this age would normally shows a more distinctly white belly.
I would call this an Arctic Skua.

Immature skuas are notoriously difficult; FWIW, I would go with Arctic on this one too. As has already been said, the proportions of head & bill are more suggestive of this species than Pom or Long-tailed.

RB

It's no Pom anyway I think we've established but Arctic must be a huge rarity in Indonesia, not even shown as a passage migrant on Birdlife?

The Lynx guide describes Arctic as an uncommon migrant and a bit less common than Pomarine and Long-tailed. On Ebird Long-tailed and Arctic seem to have a similar number of records (both less common than Pom).

Some Long-tailed Skuas have slightly thinner and longer bill than others. The overall colour of this bird, its plumage features, head shape and shape of rear body all fit Long-tailed Skua perfectly.

An ID feature on, certainly on adult Long-tailed Skuas, on distant seawatching is the presence of only 2 of the outer feathers showing pale stems. This feature is clearly visible on this bird and if the feature holds true for imm birds it would make it a LTS.

I came across this info in a British Birds article in the early 80’s from a group of Swedish or Danish birders. As it was the latest issue i took it to read whilst on the Scillies during my annual 2-week jaunt which i made each year of that Golden decade. Our group of 5 were on Peninnis Head during our first afternoon when one of us (Dave Burns) spotted the wing of a moribund bird over a mile away on adjacent Deep Point. This wing was being lifted up periodically by a light breeze. Dave said he thought it might be a dead Skua, the 3 others said ‘just a dead Gull. Armed with my recently acquired knowledge i quickly set up my ‘scope and not only confirmed it as a Skua but proclaimed it specifically as an adult Long-tailed on the basis of the described feature!:eek!:

We hot-footed it around and picked up a perfect specimen of adult LTSkua. Later that evening during the daily evening log at the Porthcressa the only record of LTS ‘1 at Deep Point’ to which Mike Rogers said ‘are you sure? The bird was duly held high for all and sundry to see much to everybodys amusement and delight.
During the following 2 weeks we received a steady trickle of observers to our rented flat in Hugh Town to look at and photograph the beautiful specimen.

It was stuffed and mounted in a cabinet at Dave’s house. Sorry if i have banged on but it’s a good story:t:

Laurie -

I initially thought LTS, then changed my mind and deleted my thoughts. However, I keep coming back to this bird. Why isn't it a 2CY Long-tailed Skua?

Pro-features include;

Upperwing pattern (white restricted to two outer primaries) and dark trailing edge to wing.
Underwing pattern (including lack of warm or gingery tones)
Upper and undertail pattern (bold, with lots of white and grey tones)
Structure and apparent light-weight feel look okay for LTS.

The long bill did initially worry me, but see this bird for another example.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8287/29059532741_d4cab7ae69_b.jpg

Last edited:
Tail is also wrong for juvenile Long-tailed Skua (has blunt tip to central feathers), but that would only apply if this was a juvenile, which I'd presume it isn't (juveniles won't have fledged yet, let alone reached the tropics!) - I don't know what tail shape first-summer and 2nd summer LTS have. Anyone know?

White-barred rump and the two white primary shafts are nicely shown in pic 1, looks perfect for LTS

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back