• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Sandwich Tern Sterna sandvicensis

Sandwich Tern is a scarce and erratic passage visitor to the reserve as it journeys between its wintering grounds on the west African coast and the Mediterranean to its north European coastal breeding colonies including number of traditional sites around Britain’s coast supporting 11,000 pairs (as at 2000). It was regarded as a rarity at Upton Warren up until the early 1980s but is now seen virtually every year.

In total there are 28 records involving 64 birds (plus a number of other non-submitted reports) but most records are fly-throughs and the species still remains very difficult to twiitch at the reserve; the Moors Pool is slightly favoured over the Flashes. The first record was two birds found on the 12th August 1969 by Arthur Jacobs but the reserve had to wait a further 14 years until its next occurence . All but one of the records since comprise of either one or two birds. The notable exception was a flock of 28 birds seen at the Moors Pool and then briefly at the Flashes before continuing south on the 25th September 1988; this remains the largest flock ever seen in Worcestershire. Interestingly a flock of at least 40 birds was seen earlier the same day 33 miles to the east at Draycote Water; 13 birds remained at this site whilst the remainder flew off and the two records could potentially be linked.

The first tern species to arrive in this country in the spring, there seems to be a drawn out spring passage between mid April and late May with no obvious peak, an unseasonal movement in late June (failed breeders?) while the autumn return is very much focussed on September. The earliest ever arrival was the 10th April this year when one passed north through the Flashes and then the Moors Pool; the latest record one through the Moors Pool on the 3rd October 2010. The half monthly breakdown of records is as follows:

April - first half: 3 record of 3 birds
April - second half: 5 record of 6 birds
May- first half: 3 records of 5 birds
May - second half: 1 record of 1 bird
June - first half: no records
June - second half: 4 records of 4 birds
July - first half: 1 record of 1 bird
July - second half: no records
August - first half: 1 record of 2 birds
August - second half: 2 records of 4 birds
September - first half: 4 records of 6 birds
September - second half: 3 records of 31 birds
October - first half: 1 record of 1 bird

The reserve is currently going through a purple patch in relation to Sandwich Tern with 13 records, totalling 18 birds, in the last 9 years.

With reference to the above post from Phil Andrews from 2015 the Sandwich Tern that was present across the reserve for about half-an-hour last Tuesday morning (4th June) would appear to be the only observation of the species in the first half of June in the history of Upton Warren. As stated above only 4 records of 4 birds have been noted during the whole of the month since the Sandwich Tern was first recorded here in 1969. The last of these records was of a bird seen flying south over the Sailing Pool by Dave Walker (Woodchat) on 19th June 2003.

Last edited:
From the Moors Pool yesterday Carl J reported:

1 Shoveler duckling on the North Moors, 1 Oystercatcher chick (getting close to fledging), 1 young Little Grebe, Treecreeper

Warbler ID assistance please

I took these today on the bend of the causeway by the path to the North Moors new hide. There were two adults tending a single fledgling.

I am thinking Garden Warbler but would appreciate a confirmation from a more knowledgeable member.

Attachments

• 08June-9892.jpg
    08June-9892.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 08June-9895.jpg
    08June-9895.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 08June-9868.jpg
    08June-9868.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 60
pic.twitter.com/hpHYu8yBG6

Above is a link to a couple of pics of the Med Gull at the Flashes this morning. It appears to be a different individual to the one seen at both the Flashes and Moors Pool recently (see Where Bird's post from Thursday 23rd May). The bill seemed noticeably brighter and there were more speckled black markings on the head.

Also seen at the Flashes today:

c45 Avocet with 11 broods totalling 33 chicks (3x4, 5x3, 3x2)
Oystercatcher 4 + 1 chick
Lapwing 7, LRP 5

Shoveler 2 females plus 1 brood of 8 and 1 brood of 5 ducklings
Shelduck 8 plus 1 brood of 4 ducklings
Tufted Duck 16, Gadwall 2

Peregrine and the hybrid Med/BH Gull were also seen.

The Flashes log book contained a couple of notable entries over the weekend: a Dunlin on Saturday and a Black-tailed Godwit yesterday.

Last edited:
Metal Crane

There last week at least but only noted by me yesterday.
How long has the crane been around the Shaw Lane area and is it anything to do with the sewage works. Just curious.
Haven't been along there for a few weeks.

Phil E

Attachments

• DSCN2724 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN2724 - Copy.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 75
From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

2 Peregrine hunting - one took a juvenile BH Gull, first summer Mediterranean Gull, 11 broods of Avocet with 33 chicks, 4 Oystercatcher + 1 young, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 8 Shelduck + 4 ducklings, 1 Shoveler + 1 brood with 5 young so far, 2 Gadwall.

I wonder if this is one of the brood of two I saw on the Moors pool last week.

Des.

Since your initial sighting last Wednesday all reports of Shoveler young ar the Moors have come from the North Moors rather than the main pool - let's see what you find today!

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

2 Peregrine hunting - one took a juvenile BH Gull, first summer Mediterranean Gull, 11 broods of Avocet with 33 chicks, 4 Oystercatcher + 1 young, 4 Little Ringed Plover, 8 Shelduck + 4 ducklings, 1 Shoveler + 1 brood with 5 young so far, 2 Gadwall.

Second brood of Shoveler, still with 8 young, now emerged at the Flashes as per Andy P.

Tuesday 11th June

Yesterday spent 12 hours at the FLASHES.
It was raining for 9 hours or more being very heavy at times.
The water level rose a little but sill hadn't quite reached the 0.4 level set by the Trust.
This shows how low the water had dropped and how hard the mud had baked. Hopefully tnis deluge will see the Flashes through to July in good condition.
The only migrants were a handful of swallows and the 1st summer .Med gull

Today was just about keeping tabs on the breeding species.
The avocets were still with 11 broods of 33 chicks. An adult discarded an egg shell and returned to a nest not viewable from the avocet hide , so I am hoping a bew brood will appear by Wednesday/ Thursday.
The Oystercatcher chick is as big as its parents but its primaries are still short.
Duck broods were doing well and a family of Ravens flew over from the Sagebury farm area.

Species count:
GCG on 1st Flash
Shelduck 8+4ch. Shoveler 4+5:8ch. Mallard c50 +7 broods min.
Gadwall 4. Tufted 35.
Avocet 47 +11 broods 33 chicks plus 12 sitting.
Lapwing 6 +1 sitting. LRP 5. Oystercatcher 2+1ch
Med Gull 1st summer. Herring Gull. LBBG 5. BHG hundreds of juvs now flying.
Peregrine. Buzzard caught BHG juv.
Coot c12 3 broods.
Kingfisher. Raven 6(4juvs).
Stock dove c10. Swift 30.
Swallow 5. House Martin 20.
Cetti's w singing. Lesser whitethroat. Blackcap 3. Reed warbler 5 in 3rd Flash. Chiffchaff.
Linnet 5. Goldfinch 8. Greenfinch.
Reed bunting several.

Upton Warren What? or At The Moors

Sitting there happy as Larry.

Thanks to Dave A who was good enough to tell me about this and then said it might have gone. Just in case he let me take a back of camera view so I could post it for him.

In the end as I got to the clearing it was back again or sitting up - which ever and we had a good view of it.
Awesome.

1 Can you see me?
2 That better?

Phil E

Attachments

• Watching Me Watching You Watching me.jpg
    Watching Me Watching You Watching me.jpg
    868.6 KB · Views: 80
  • That Better.jpg
    That Better.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 76
Today's highlights:

MOORS/N MOORS*:
LRP (1)------------------Oystercacher (2) + 1 young.
Common Tern (2)-------Gadwall (2)
G C Grebe (3 ad)--------Little Grebe (1ad)
Cormorant (1)-----------Tufted Duck (c25)
Shoveler (f)*

FLASHES:
Avocet (45) + 11 broods------Oystercatcher (2)+1 young.
Shoveler (2f)+5:8 broods-----Shelduck (5)+ 4 chicks.
LRP (2)-------------------------Gadwall (2)
Lapwing (1)--------------------Cetti's Warbler

Des.

Don't Even Think About It!

The Oyc frightens me!
The avocets challenged the peacefully feeding ducks - mallard and shoveler - and were seen off.

The LBBGs just shove each other about. Some look bemused and others squawk. They are obviously auditioning for "Strictly" - the spray booths are working overtime on those legs.

The last pic was at The Moors, the rest were at The Flashes.

Phil E

Attachments

• DSCN31081 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN31081 - Copy.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN32401 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN32401 - Copy.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Capture11 - Copy.jpg
    Capture11 - Copy.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN33581 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN33581 - Copy.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 29
The best I could do for little brown birds.
Whilst looking for them I found this sad character in the grass nearby. In a state of shock. Don't know what "got" it or whether it will survive.

On a lighter note at The Moors - those LBBG's again. Well actually - the walnut. Yes that appears to be a walnut and despite all the comings and goings there it stayed!!

Phil E

Attachments

• DSCN31661 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN31661 - Copy.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN31741 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN31741 - Copy.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN33461 - Copy.jpg
    DSCN33461 - Copy.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread