• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk ID - Nebraska. (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
I took these pics about a month ago in Central Nebraska, we just weren't for certain what it was.

Any help would be great... thanks.

Attachments

• 100_6083.jpg
    100_6083.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_6084.jpg
    100_6084.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 194
I think your bird might be a dark phase Rough-legged Hawk. Notice the uniform dark coloring of the under side of the primaries, characteristic of Rough-legged, but not of Red-tailed Hawk (which show barring on the under side of these feathers).

See a similar photo by Schmoker here., of a dark phase Rough-legged Hawk.

Agree with Harlan's Hawk, a dark morph of a Red Tail Hawk. There is one near our farm that I watch regularly.

I don't see the feathers going far enough down the legs for a rough legged. I first thought the harlan's I saw was a rough legged also but at closer observation of photo seen that it was not.

Below is the one I see all the time. It does have the tail barring. In the photo that was posted for identification I can not make out the tail area that clear to see if barring or not but I do think it is very close to being a Harlan's Hawk.

Attachments

• birdforummurphey.jpg
    birdforummurphey.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 110
  • murpheyflightA.jpg
    murpheyflightA.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I think your bird might be a dark phase Rough-legged Hawk. Notice the uniform dark coloring of the under side of the primaries, characteristic of Rough-legged, but not of Red-tailed Hawk (which show barring on the under side of these feathers).

See a similar photo by Schmoker here., of a dark phase Rough-legged Hawk.

Howdy,
Rough-legs and Ferruginous will have feathered tarsi. If you look at the picture of the bird flying, it shows up pretty yellow.
CHEERS, JOE

I believe I will have to concede that it is a RTHA. I guess I was putting too much emphasis on the under side of the primaries and missed looking at the legs (sans feathers)!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back