• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kings Norton Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

1 Male plus 2 female Goosander on Meercroft now.
60 -70 B.H.Gulls...1 Larger juv Gull and usual Mallard. .Tufted and Coot.
Heron lurking by Dam side.
2 Swans
3.25 p.m....One "pair" Goosander keeping together then other female does lap of pool and off to south.

Last edited:
1....HERON
2...LEAVING GOOSANDER
3...THE 3 TOGETHER
4...B.H.GULLS
5...LITTLE AND LARGE.....Lesser B.B..??

Attachments

• KN 1_filtered.jpg
    KN 1_filtered.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 54
  • KN 2_filtered.jpg
    KN 2_filtered.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 51
  • KN 3_filtered.jpg
    KN 3_filtered.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 48
  • KN 4_filtered.jpg
    KN 4_filtered.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 50
  • KN 5_filtered.jpg
    KN 5_filtered.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 50
No Goosanders at my visit to Meercroft on Monday.

A few Male/female Teal on Wychall resa and a Heron enjoying the sun in a tree on opposite bank.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 OCT 12 126 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 OCT 12 126 A.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Canon 2016 OCT 12 133 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 OCT 12 133 A.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 45
Male King in tree by dam at Merecroft 2pm today.....no Goosanders Monday or today.
Cropped and as was.....

Attachments

• Canon 2016 NOV 1 109 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 NOV 1 109 A.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Canon 2016 NOV 1 109.JPG
    Canon 2016 NOV 1 109.JPG
    525.7 KB · Views: 47
A Little Egret was a nice surprise on Merecroft Pool this morning. Initially flushed from the path up from Wychall Lane, it was later perched in the tree on the island. Also pair Pochard at the north end. No Goosanders though sadly.

A Little Egret was a nice surprise on Merecroft Pool this morning. Initially flushed from the path up from Wychall Lane, it was later perched in the tree on the island. Also pair Pochard at the north end. No Goosanders though sadly.

Just saw your report...brilliant Little Egret and Pochard. ....at lunchtime today the Pochard still present and a little Grebe....the 4 Heron were keeping an eye on me.

1 and 2 Pochard
3 Little Grebe
4 BH Gull
5 grebe photobombed by the Gulls.

Attachments

• IMA 1_filtered.jpg
    IMA 1_filtered.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Canon 2017 FEB 13 008 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 FEB 13 008 A_filtered.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Canon 2017 FEB 13 022 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 FEB 13 022 A_filtered.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Canon 2017 FEB 13 034 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 FEB 13 034 A_filtered.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Canon 2017 FEB 13 032 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 FEB 13 032 A_filtered.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 66
A fantastic Great Crested Grebe (trying to sleep)

Little Grebe being harassed by a Coot

Female Pochard....couldnt find last weeks Male.

The Herons are sitting (on) close to nest on island

2 other Heron keeping their distance ( must be last years young)

Couple of Canada Geese....who havent upset the Male Mute Swan...YET.

Only One Gull - a Black Headed...and that didnt stay long.

Last edited:
Female Gadwall on Merecroft Pool this morning. Only the second time I've seen one here. Also Little Grebe still, 4 Herons and Kestrel, Buzzard & Sparrowhawk over (in that order).

Plenty of Blackcap and Chiffchaff around this morning.

The heron nest on the Merecroft Pool island was empty - does anyone know if it's been used this year? I'm guessing not.

Coot chicks on Merecroft Pool, being predated by a solitary Grey Heron. Plenty of other Coots on nests, let's hope some of the chicks survive.

On Feb 20th One Heron was standing on the nest and the other very close by and I thought they would be using it again but never saw them again since....thought I had a snap but cant find it.

Shoveler on Meercroft on Friday and a GSW next to Wychall resa.

Attachments

• Z 8.jpg
    Z 8.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Z 9.jpg
    Z 9.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Z 10_filtered - Copy.jpg
    Z 10_filtered - Copy.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Couldn't find the shoveler today but there was a water rail calling from the opposite side of the pool and a few redwing around.
There were at least two more water rails calling at Wychall Reservoir plus 7 Teal & 2 grey wagtails.
I did hear a Kingfisher zooming along the Rea just beyond popes lane, where there was also a decent flock of at least 10 Bullfinches.

Couldn't find the shoveler today but there was a water rail calling from the opposite side of the pool and a few redwing around.
There were at least two more water rails calling at Wychall Reservoir plus 7 Teal & 2 grey wagtails.
I did hear a Kingfisher zooming along the Rea just beyond popes lane, where there was also a decent flock of at least 10 Bullfinches.

Great day.......unfortunately I cannot hear most birdcalls.......have to rely on sight...and thats on its way out as well.....LOL

Nice to know the Teal are still there!
I had given up on Popes Lane for Kingfisher so good to hear one passed through. Last year they nested nearby and I saw them regularly there. In 2014 I got a photo of a juvenile there. It was really close at first, then flew off and then came back but not as close;
https://flic.kr/p/odPtbf

Quite an exciting morning started with 3 Goosander on Merecroft Pool, the Water Rail was heard again on the far side and a Raven went over.

When I was by the horse paddock, I heard a weak sounding 'swee' call and saw a large finch species flying over, large head & bill and broad white bars on the underwing - only a Hawfinch!
There have been a lot in the Midlands recently so it wasn't a complete surprise but very happy to find one here. Apparently 5 have been reported in someone's garden in Kings Norton this morning so probably one of those.

It's worth getting familiar with the call as this influx is giving everyone a good chance of catching up with this usually elusive species. Try http://www.xeno-canto.org/389135

Quite an exciting morning started with 3 Goosander on Merecroft Pool, the Water Rail was heard again on the far side and a Raven went over.

When I was by the horse paddock, I heard a weak sounding 'swee' call and saw a large finch species flying over, large head & bill and broad white bars on the underwing - only a Hawfinch!
There have been a lot in the Midlands recently so it wasn't a complete surprise but very happy to find one here. Apparently 5 have been reported in someone's garden in Kings Norton this morning so probably one of those.

It's worth getting familiar with the call as this influx is giving everyone a good chance of catching up with this usually elusive species. Try http://www.xeno-canto.org/389135

thanks for the call tape....but could only barely make out something on the peaks.....damn ears....lol

Quick visit to Merecroft...Popes Lane...Wychall Road and up towards Northfield.

Merecroft....Little Grebe...Large Gull (Herring ??)

Nothing but a Grey wagtail around Popes Lane.

Kingfisher in trees over River upstream from Road bridge....flew a few times upstream so I followed hoping for a clear view.
A Heron scared the life out of me as I looked over bank into water - it flew up and around into a tree.
As I carried on upstream a Little Egret flew out of the water and towards Northfield....I followed and put another Heron up.
Walked up to next bridge but blanked on everything...walked back through the parkland on opposite bank and the Egret came out of the river and flew high back down stream.
Waited around Wychall bridge but no more sightings.

Attachments

• Canon 2017  NOV 06 042 a_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 06 042 a_filtered.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Canon 2017  NOV 06 051 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 06 051 A_filtered.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Canon 2017  NOV 06 068 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 06 068 A.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 86
  • Canon 2017  NOV 06 085 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 06 085 A.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 81
A pair of Goosander on Meercroft at the moment....and a mysterious Duck !!....probably a hybrid.

Attachments

• Canon 2017  NOV 12 062 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 12 062 A.jpg
    509.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Canon 2017  NOV 12 087 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 NOV 12 087 A.jpg
    581.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back