• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lamprey spotting (1 Viewer)

prhodes

Does anyone know of a site where you could have a resonable chance of spotting a lamprey of any species in the UK? I realise despited half a life time of enjoyable wildlife veiwing I've never seen one. A bit of a long shot as there seems to be hardly anything on the internet about these interesting creatures. Thanks, and apologies if this is a daft question.

Phil

A long time ago I did see one in one of the streams in the New Forest.
Try googling "Lamprey New Forest". Apparently the Brook Lamprey are more easily seen in June ( Spawning time ).
HTH

Does anyone know of a site where you could have a resonable chance of spotting a lamprey of any species in the UK? I realise despited half a life time of enjoyable wildlife veiwing I've never seen one. A bit of a long shot as there seems to be hardly anything on the internet about these interesting creatures. Thanks, and apologies if this is a daft question.

Phil

i used to see these in fairly big numbers in a river in south kintyre, scotland but i am going back about 25 years. i dont think i have seen one since, but then havent really been looking......its got me curious though

I know it's a long way to go to find lampreys (brook lampreys) but the only place I know that offers a reasonable chance of seeing them is in one of the many streams and brooks that criss cross exmoor.
Probably many easier places to find 'em though, I don't know.
Find your chalk stream, find your trout, find your lampreys.
I bet the dorset stour holds a few too. Lampreys are also found in the Sussex Ouse, but I don't know if they are in any numbers or are easy to locate.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the infomation chaps. Spending time at the side of clean rivers in spring and summer is always enjoyable and you have provided several interesting leads. Off to Wales tommorrow where at least Dipper are present. Not sure about the weather though. Thanks again, Phil.

I used to do a lot of Trout and Grayling fising all over the Midlands and Mid Wales, I have seen them in the River Dee around the Corwen area. Also thought I saw some in the River Dove above Dovedale whist doing a working party on the river. Good luck in finding some. Neil.

I've been told that Brook Lamprey occur on the Itchen at Winnall Moors reserve in the centre of Winchester. I am also keen to see them so will try in June when the adults are about. Will post any news

Spend an hour or two fish spotting from bridges over the River Stour in Dorset, while working in the area. Plenty of fish species including trout, but no lampreys. Nice view of a Kingfisher however.

Hi, just noticed this thread.I had a rather bizarre experience concerning a Lamprey recently.My local nature reserve has a large Common Tern colony and whilst watching them recently, a Tern dropped its prey( normally Sandeels) which hit me on the head! I was astonished to discover it was a Lamprey, still alive.I took a couple of quick pics and returned it to the water at the reserve.Its the first record for this area apparently!View attachment 264057

Last edited:
As you say Snowcap a real bizarre experience. As Lampreys are in a different Class to other fish, a real interesting animal to see close up. I hesitate to say this but if you'd put it in a tank pending later release, a few of us might have turned up to see it.

Thanks for the post, Phil

Lamprey encounter

I got lucky this weekend following up a report last week of Brook Lamprey on the River Itchen at Ovington. After a half-hour search of the stony shallows this little beauty appeared from nowhere and began to remove pebbles from the stream using it's mouth-sucker as leverage. Excellent value!

Attachments

• Brook-Lamprey-310312-1a.jpg
    Brook-Lamprey-310312-1a.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 276
Havent seen one in years. So many powerplants plants and deforestation along the mississippi here, a rare sight. Can recall them being netted back in the 60's here. Have seen total of one fresh water eel this millenium, were plentiful in past.

Last edited:
A site for sea lamprey is at Llyswen in Powys: see http://www.aden.co/SeaLamprey.jsp

I haven't et been - and keen to know how visible they are from the bridge.

For brook lamprey, I understand that gilfach farm in radnorshire is good. Again - any first-hand reports would be interesting to hear.

James

Hi all

A bit late to this party but I just wanted to flag up a new project that you might be interested in and would hopefully be able to contribute to. It's called Lamprey Watch and it's UK-wide project to gather observations of lampreys from the public. You can enter retrospective records too (if you can remember the details).

https://envscot-csportal.org.uk/lampreywatch/

I saw a Pacific Lamprey once in the park in my town. Actually, it was in the stream. We get King Salmon and Steelhead coming up from the Sacramento River. I was quite startled to see. Last one was on a dissecting table in 77 - in New Jersey.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back