• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Southern Spain- Andalucia (1 Viewer)

Ian Robinson

My wife and I have just returned from a great short stay just south of Antequerra in Andalucia. What a great place- we saw a number of first time birds- Rock Bunting, Purple Heron, Crested Lark, Black Redstart, Griffon Vulture, Gull billed tern and remade an acquaintance with Flamingos at Fuente del Piedra, although sadly the water levels were low and consequently only about 200 birds were present, accompanied by a black winged stilt.
Of note was a mystery bird that only sang as it was getting dusk with a full bodied in your face song. Difficult to describe but a bit like a Cetti's warbler in character but it wasn't. We caught sight of the bird once and it was thrush sized. It was always in the same place in some scrubland close to houses. Any suggestions gratefully received.
many thanks

Ian Robinson said:
My wife and I have just returned from a great short stay just south of Antequerra in Andalucia. What a great place- we saw a number of first time birds- Rock Bunting, Purple Heron, Crested Lark, Black Redstart, Griffon Vulture, Gull billed tern and remade an acquaintance with Flamingos at Fuente del Piedra, although sadly the water levels were low and consequently only about 200 birds were present, accompanied by a black winged stilt.
Of note was a mystery bird that only sang as it was getting dusk with a full bodied in your face song. Difficult to describe but a bit like a Cetti's warbler in character but it wasn't. We caught sight of the bird once and it was thrush sized. It was always in the same place in some scrubland close to houses. Any suggestions gratefully received.
many thanks

Hi Ian
It was probably a Nightingale, they are quite common at this time of year in Spain. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

I'll go with Jules on this one. Nightingale for me. Strange that you only heard it in the evenings though, they usually sing throughout most of the day at this time of year.
At one site I was at today there were at least six different birds calling at the same time, all within about 150 metres of each other. Only managed to get good views of one of them, though.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

Ian Robinson said:
Hi -thanks for the suggestion. We've heared Nightingales at Minsmere in the UK on many occasions and it was not the same song.

Ah! but have you ever heard one singing in Spanish before?

Seriously though, Ian. The only other suggestions I would like to make would be an actual Song Thrush or possibly a Rufous-tailed Scrub Robin, which does have a loud song, but is smaller than you have described.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

Hola John
Keep the suggestions coming. I will listen to the birds you suggest. I was bought the excellent DVD set of Birds of Britain & Europe by Paul Doherty and check them out. One further point that my wife remembered was that one evening as we listened to the mystery caller the man who lived next door to the waste area said it sang most evenings but would be gone in August. Presumably its holiday comes to an end then and it returns home. :h?:

Last edited:
Hi John and Jules- well time to eat humble Paella!
Having listened to the Birds dvd you were both right first time- it was definitely a Nightingale. Thank you everyone for your observations- what a great site this is.
many regards
Ian

Ian Robinson said:
Having listened to the Birds dvd you were both right first time- it was definitely a Nightingale. Thank you everyone for your observations- what a great site this is.
many regards
Ian

Not at all,
but as John said earlier they usually sing all the time and can be visible. On the local patch we have an incredibly showy one that sits on the top of a dead tree in broad daylight. Took a visiting birding friend out there yesterday morning and he couldn't believe his eyes.

Attachments

• Nightingale.jpg
    Nightingale.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 143
Ian Robinson said:
many regards
Ian

Hi again Ian.

Nightingales can be very varied as far as their songs go. Once again today we had at least three calling close-by and they all seemed to be reading from a different song-sheet.

Regards from Doñana.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back