• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2015 List Going? (1 Viewer)

On the way home from work I stopped at a site along the Monongahela River to chase up a report of three Mute Swans, uncommon birds in this area. I quickly found my targets.

78. Mute Swan

Dave

42 Eurasian Sparrowhawk
43 Common Kestrel.

It started snowing today, hopefully there will be good vis on Saturday as I'm taking part in a gull roost observation at one of the local lakes, where we'll hopefully see Caspian, YLG, Herring and LBbG as it's not far from the rubbish dump where they all hang out in the winter.

A few more over the weekend:

90 Vermilion Flycatcher
91 Greater Yellowlegs
92 Red-breasted Merganser
93 Northern Shoveler
94 Lincoln's Sparrow
95 Swamp Sparrow
96 Green-winged Teal
97 Blue-headed Vireo
98 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
99 Roseate Spoonbill
100 Little Blue Heron
101 Downy Woodpecker
102 Scaly-breasted Munia
103 Tufted Titmouse
104 Long-billed Dowitcher

Jeff

Last edited:
Actually spent a little time birding today so now up to 61, last two being:

60) Tawny Owl
61) Snipe

Off to Spain tomorrow, so Spanish list will soon overtake this one....

One of those occasional yard birds this week:
117. Nuttall's Woodpecker

And some Friday birding:
118. Townsend's Warbler
119. Worm-eating Warbler (local rarity)
120. Fox Sparrow
121. Mew Gull
122. Brewer's Blackbird
123. Cooper's Hawk
124. Cattle Egret
125. Pelagic Cormorant
126. Acorn Woodpecker
127. Wood Duck
128. Oak Titmouse

I was doing a Gull roost count this evening, 860 in total, 3 Caspian, 53 Common, 18 Herring, rest BHG and added

44 Smew
45 Caspian Gull
46 Great Egret
47 Common Goldeneye
48 Common Gull

Late this afternoon I rushed out to chase a mega rarity that I looked for unsuccessfully yesterday and that had been refound by another birder today. I found my target, so I'm up to 82 for the year.

82. Snowy Owl

Dave

A two-owl day, with a Snowy Owl this afternoon, and an Eastern Screech Owl this evening. At about 11:00, as I was getting ready for bed, I turned on the floodlight in the backyard to see if it was snowing, and there was a screech owl on the deck railing six feet away.

83. Eastern Screech Owl

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back