• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Absolute top 10x (under $3000) (1 Viewer)

Sf

I'm getting confused.

Did she or did she not order Zeiss SF?

If yes, did she get them yet?

If yes, what was her impression of them?

We would like to hear/read her thoughts on the SFs.......no.........thats right, no the Tracts.....and what about those Swaro 8X50 Porros. I am confused too.

Andy w.

No she did not order the Zeiss, She bought instead my 8x50 Swaro's and a Tract 10x42 and a Nikon Monarch 8x30 instead.

We are going to view the Tract's tomorrow or Tuesday, She loves the Swaros and says they are the best thing she's ever used and that's about all she talks about since I sold them to her. She has two Western Screech Owls living in her backyard and she loves the 50mm for dawn and dusk viewing of the little guys. The Monarch she bought for running. We looked at it today and I was really impressed by it. It's a great optic for the money IMO. Sorry for the confusion guys but I wrote all about it above.B :)

BC;
then she should be set...8x30 compact...10x42 mid range..8x50 home base low lite specialty bin....

OK she actually bought the Zeiss this morning. So now we finally get to find about what all this fuss is about.

She got a great deal at $2110. I have to mention SportsOptics because I've had some issues with them myself. When she called them they told her she could only get the 10% and not the added %13 their promo code offers as that would mean they would lose money on these bins. I told her that was BS and that Zeiss was paying that 10% and to just do the order online. When she did that she got both discounts and the deal at $2110. I really have some reservations with either their training or their integrity. Maybe both.

Last edited:
OK she actually bought the Zeiss this morning. So now we finally get to find about what all this fuss is about.

She got a great deal at $2110. I have to mention SportsOptics because I've had some issues with them myself. When she called them they told her she could only get the 10% and not the added %13 their promo code offers as that would mean they would lose money on these bins. I told her that was BS and that Zeiss was paying that 10% and to just do the order online. When she did that she got both discounts and the deal at $2110. I really have some reservations with either their training or their integrity. Maybe both.

Great for her, BC. Hope they honor the websites pricing! :t:

Ted

They better. If they post it they should honor it even if they are in error. That's called integrity. I've detected two Fov errors on their products when I was looking to buy from them and sent 3 emails to inform them and they've ignored all three and left the specs as they are. This says something to me about how they do business.

They better. If they post it they should honor it even if they are in error. That's called integrity. I've detected two Fov errors on their products when I was looking to buy from them and sent 3 emails to inform them and they've ignored all three and left the specs as they are. This says something to me about how they do business.

Unfortunately, you find on-line misinformation on too many products these days (electronics, consumables, hardware, tools, Optics, etc.). Very few manufactures will respond, or take way too long to make needed corrections on stated specifications that consumers use to make purchasing decisions. :-C

Life in the fast lane...Wise to do Your homework. Buyer Beware!! :eek!:

Ted

Yeah I know, I tell myself everytime now that customer service is a minefield. If you get some of it without it blowing up in your face you've done exceptionally well. Several times folk here have saved me from some "customer service" when buying a binocular. And I've found to my dismay that shoping elsewhere is not at all a guaranteed solution. Amazon has been my only exception to this.

Hey BC, Thanks for head's up on how to get both discounts to apply. I just ordered an 8x42 SF from them. Been on my list for awhile, and that is the best price I've seen yet. I hope it doesn't get screwed up somehow. Now I've got that 'waiting for the bins' fever...

;-)

Hope your friend enjoys hers, and yes, you should take a peek through them too.

Bill

She's thinking of ordering a second pair, this time the 8x42.
I don't see why it matters to SO. The Zeiss optics co. is paying that first 10% not Sports Optics. SO is offering 13% off their end and when they don't you can't click on that discount code. That's how they set it up every time I've ordered from them. So I don't know why they told her what they told her but IMO they are major screw ups anyway. If you got the price on that order it should be good. My friends have already shipped out. I would think they would have a hard time breaking that online contract and billing her more than they stated.

She's thinking of ordering a second pair, this time the 8x42.
I don't see why it matters to SO. The Zeiss optics co. is paying that first 10% not Sports Optics. SO is offering 13% off their end and when they don't you can't click on that discount code. That's how they set it up every time I've ordered from them. So I don't know why they told her what they told her but IMO they are major screw ups anyway. If you got the price on that order it should be good. My friends have already shipped out. I would think they would have a hard time breaking that online contract and billing her more than they stated.

It puts a kink in personal service, if you can get a better price from the computer.... at the same place of business! Someone is not connecting the dots there, but the price was right.

-Bill

Is personal service anything like customer service? If it is I think it went extinct about the same time the hippies did.

I am the last surviving hippy btw.

Unfortunately, you find on-line misinformation on too many products these days (electronics, consumables, hardware, tools, Optics, etc.). Very few manufactures will respond, or take way too long to make needed corrections on stated specifications that consumers use to make purchasing decisions. :-C

Life in the fast lane...Wise to do Your homework. Buyer Beware!! :eek!:

Ted

Ted you are dead right.
Here is my guess at some of the reasons why it takes so long to get corrections done.

You spot what you think is an error on a bino brand's website lets say the fov is wrong because the figure in metres and feet don't agree.
You tell someone in the sales dept.
They pass it on, after a couple of weeks, to marketing who discuss it eventually with the product manager because they don't know if it is an error. The product manager is traveling around the world to optics shows and the conversation doesn't take place until two months later. Yes its an error and he gives the marketing folks the correct number. Two or three weeks later marketing passes this to the website creation company which acts as webmaster for them and it gets assigned to the regular person who handles that brand. But this person also handles a gazillion other websites and brands and says I can't do this right now and in any case we have a big website change coming up in 3 months anyway, why don't we discuss all of this at the next meeting and then I can do all the work in one session and the website will only need to be closed down once. Doing all these corrections one at a time means the website is down regularly and it irritates visitors to the site so lets just do it once........

Before you know it 6 months or more have passed........

Lee

Or worse. These things might backfire on them at times however. This may be a case in point. They could lose thousands of dollars or just make a lot of people mad. I worked in sales in a couple of places for over 20 of my later years in the workforce. I don't know how big that operation is but I found the problems get worse the closer you find yourself to "management". They "manage" to screw things up and are,in my experience, more often than not, the worst workers with the least integrity.

Now after 50% of my as of late interactions have gone haywire I just assume that a screw up is very likely each time I buy something. When I go to make a purchase or get information it's like a little war game. I have to figure a way to get what I think they have promised or claimed and get out as fast as I can with product or service in hand. I'm trying to see it as a game and not take anything personally. Just play hard and to win and try on my end to always play fair and assume they may not.

I'm dealing right now with an online insurance policy I canceled as per what the policy states. I did everything correctly on my end. I canceled and they refuse to respond and refund my money. When I went online to see about their customer service record it turns out this is one of their standard practices. ( I played the game poorly but not checking this before buying) They try to ignore you and hope you will give up and go away leaving them with your money. Same issues when you have an actual claim. Amazon seems to be ok with this kind of behavior by a seller on their website. I bought this on Amazon to cover a bino that I thought only had a one year warranty. (the EII) . I've now had to file a claim with Amazon to get a lousy $21 bucks back. This is not someone making an error. This is stealing IMO and it sure looks like it's standard operating procedure.

How I got fooled is that people who never have a claim to settle assume that they got something for their money and give a five star rating. They base that rating on no real evidence and so skew the rating so that the company manages four stars when they should actually be getting about 2 or three at best. I was a dummy for not seeing that right off. I played this hand poorly.

I encouraged her to buy a second pair in 8x. We'll see if that order goes through.

Last edited:
Ted you are dead right.
Here is my guess at some of the reasons why it takes so long to get corrections done.

You spot what you think is an error on a bino brand's website lets say the fov is wrong because the figure in metres and feet don't agree.
You tell someone in the sales dept.
They pass it on, after a couple of weeks, to marketing who discuss it eventually with the product manager because they don't know if it is an error. The product manager is traveling around the world to optics shows and the conversation doesn't take place until two months later. Yes its an error and he gives the marketing folks the correct number. Two or three weeks later marketing passes this to the website creation company which acts as webmaster for them and it gets assigned to the regular person who handles that brand. But this person also handles a gazillion other websites and brands and says I can't do this right now and in any case we have a big website change coming up in 3 months anyway, why don't we discuss all of this at the next meeting and then I can do all the work in one session and the website will only need to be closed down once. Doing all these corrections one at a time means the website is down regularly and it irritates visitors to the site so lets just do it once........

Before you know it 6 months or more have passed........

Lee

From the house of Lee, Words of wisdom...and I venture, much Real World Experience?! :eek!: :t:

Ted

First pair of Zeiss Victory arrived which are the 8x42. I won't try to do an evaluation proper and you've seen plenty and you already know how good they are. I've certainly never looked through a better binocular. I was very impressed by how sharp they were out to the edge. That is amazing. That and a very smooth focuser and tack sharp at center. Very bright and very good contrast. I put my EII up against them because it's the best we had. The Zeiss were easily brighter and the contrast was better, they were better out at the edge and easier to handle and easier on the eye. What made me smile is that dead center sharpness was very similar. Overall for 1/5 of the cost the EII can do some of the things that Zeiss can do or come very very close. I'm even more satisfied now. But there is no doubt about which is the best. That is one amazing binocular. My friend was completely satisfied with something finally. The down side is she fractured her wrist last night when she dropped the Zeiss and tried to grab them and fell. Can you believe that. She had Xrays this morning and came home in a sling. Fortunately she can hold them with one hand which is her right hand. The 10x arrives next week.

I asked her why she hadn't put the Bino neck strap on them before taking them out and she just looked at me.:gh: So I dropped it. er I mean she dropped it.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back