• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Empid (NW Nevada): Identification (1 Viewer)

fugl

We encountered 3 species of Empid today near Lovelock (NW Nevada)--"Western" Flycatcher, Gray Flycatcher and a third species (see the photos) which has us stumped. Our initial thought, based on binocular views in the field--was Willow Flycatcher--longish bill, pale below; narrow not very distinct eyering, upward tail jerks--but now that I've seen the photos, I wonder if Dusky Flycatcher in worn summer plumage isn't a possibility? Anyone have any ideas about this?

Attachments

• Flycatcher NOS 1.jpg
    Flycatcher NOS 1.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Flycatcher NOS 2.jpg
    Flycatcher NOS 2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Flycatcher NOS.jpg
    Flycatcher NOS.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 80
What was the habitat? that would really help in identification. Gray flycatcher is also a possibility, but ill go with Willow Flycatcher for now

What was the habitat? that would really help in identification. Gray flycatcher is also a possibility, but ill go with Willow Flycatcher for now

Thanks for the comments (also for yours, Microtus)

The bird was at a desert oasis with other migrants (including Gray and "Western" flycatchers), not on its breeding grounds, so habitat isn't of much use for ID purposes. We ruled out Gray Flycatcher on the basis of the tail action--upward jerks rather than the slow-motion "dips" characteristic of that species.

I live in the east and see my share of Willow Flycatchers. While I know Willow Flys in the west could look a little different than those in the east, this bird is not saying Willow to me. The bill strikes me as too long and too dark for Willow. But, again, I'm bad at Empidonax so I could be wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back