• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unable to find the ID!!! (1 Viewer)

1 - not a clue!
2 - dark legged Willow Warbler
3 - Water Pipit is the best I can do. coutellii perhaps?
4 - European Kestrel.

I'm sure someone will improve on this

Jason

Could 2 be a Siberian Chiffchaff? The head pattern looks good for that. Willow Warbler is out on account of the primary projection, all dark beak and dark feet. (Or so my books lead me to believe!)

Could 2 be a Siberian Chiffchaff? The head pattern looks good for that. Willow Warbler is out on account of the primary projection, all dark beak and dark feet. (Or so my books lead me to believe!)

Siberian Chiffchaff (subspecies tristis) can be separated from European Chiffchaffs based on the absence of yellow tones in the supercilium and on the breast, and the absence of green tones on the upper back and head (according to the old Svensson's guide). Bird nr 2 seems to have some yellowish wash in the supercilium, and the crown also looks a bit greenish, although the light is quite bad.

Siberian Chiffchaff (subspecies tristis) can be separated from European Chiffchaffs based on the absence of yellow tones in the supercilium and on the breast, and the absence of green tones on the upper back and head (according to the old Svensson's guide). Bird nr 2 seems to have some yellowish wash in the supercilium, and the crown also looks a bit greenish, although the light is quite bad.

I agree, the lighting is very bad to judge colours from the photo, as I see it the only yellow is at the bend of the wing, but what would it look like in a different photo? To me the bird looks quite washed out and with a strong supercilium, it doesn't strike me as being an ordinary collybita. Would like to know if it called. Fulvescens perhaps?

Number 2 isn't a willow warbler, it's one of the chiffchaffs due to the all dark legs and feet, all dark beak and short pimary projection.

Agree with Nick, the second photo is a Chiffchaff and not a Willow Warbler.

Not sure the last photo of a very wet pipit is a Water Pipit either, with pale bill and legs...

I agree, the lighting is very bad to judge colours from the photo, as I see it the only yellow is at the bend of the wing, but what would it look like in a different photo? To me the bird looks quite washed out and with a strong supercilium, it doesn't strike me as being an ordinary collybita. Would like to know if it called. Fulvescens perhaps?

The subspecies that breeds for example in Finland, abietinus, is already plainer coloured than the nominate subspecies (collybita) that occurs in Western Europe. Sometimes quite washed out individuals can be seen, which still call like typical western Chiffchaffs. During the autumns, Chiffchaffs that call "heep" arrive in small numbers, but it has turned out that probably only a minority of them satisfy the criteria for being pure tristis (when studied in the hand), at least according to the criteria mentioned by Svensson. Those intermediate birds could probably then be called 'fulvescens'. Based on Shah's pictures, I wouldn't call the second Chiffchaff even a fulvescens (due to the bad light and the lack of a heard call), but it is of course completely possible (actually I don't know if all intermediate birds even call like tristis)... Anyway, I think that I see some yellowish in the supercilium in front of the eye (maybe below the lores also), but of course it can just be a photographic artefact or due to my screen settings.

By the way, I haven't heard that the strong supercilium would be used as a criteria for tristis (but I really haven't been following what the literature and various articles say about the subspecies...).

Last edited:
The subspecies that breeds for example in Finland, abietinus, is already plainer coloured than the nominate subspecies (collybita) that occurs in Western Europe. Sometimes quite washed out individuals can be seen, which still call like typical western Chiffchaffs. During the autumns, Chiffchaffs that call "heep" arrive in small numbers, but it has turned out that probably only a minority of them satisfy the criteria for being pure tristis (when studied in the hand), at least according to the criteria mentioned by Svensson. Those intermediate birds could probably then be called 'fulvescens'. Based on Shah's pictures, I wouldn't call the second Chiffchaff even a fulvescens (due to the bad light and the lack of a heard call), but it is of course completely possible (actually I don't know if all intermediate birds even call like tristis)... Anyway, I think that I see some yellowish in the supercilium in front of the eye (maybe below the lores also), but of course it can just be a photographic artefact or due to my screen settings.

By the way, I haven't heard that the strong supercilium would be used as a criteria for tristis (but I really haven't been following what the literature and various articles say about the subspecies...).

Part of the literature I've been following (and I'm only just starting ti try and get to grips with these more complicated warblers) was this website (in French unfortunately) http://www.ornithomedia.com/pratique/identif/ident_art63_1.htm
it mentions that tristis has a relatively clear cut supercilium, which from looking at the photos of these birds looks quite strong to me, abietinus is more diffuse behind the eye. I certainly don't think this bird can be identified to race with any positivity, but I am certainly enjoying the discussion:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back