• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paphos Sewage Works Cyprus Trip October 2018 (1 Viewer)

DamianP

The Paphos Sewage Works is a well known birding destination in Cyprus particularly for spur-winged plover. I almost didn't do the trip as I could not find any definite information about the site's location on the internet, and surprisingly, our holiday rep had no idea where it was! Hopefully this guide will help anyone else planning to pay it a visit.

The sewage Works was walkable from our hotel (Louis Phaethon) and the local buses which were excellent would get you fairly close if you were staying further away along the coast.

The Paphos Sewage Works is located here:

https://goo.gl/maps/xa8asAXqHY32

and I got to it from the hotel by walking along the coast and then cutting inland as shown on the attached route. (I've numbered where I saw all the interesting stuff but you might have to zoom in!)

There were some good birds along the way including a flock of around 12 stone curlew in a field just off the beach (1) which also contained a few crested larks. There were a few fan tailed warblers as I crossed the dry Ezousa riverbed (2) and a black redstart fly catching from some farm machinery (3).

I flushed a jack snipe from a small puddle along the side of the road (4) and saw a few red-throated pipit around the same puddle on the way back.

At the sewage works (5) the spur-winged plover were around the works themselves and also kept flying to and from the grass fields opposite the works. There were around 30 birds there. A sardininan warbler also put in an appearance and I thought it was a black-cap until I got back and looked through my photos! A few hummingbird hawk moths were feeding from the flowers too.

It's probably worth noting that you are not allowed access to the sewage works and have to stay on the road. Most of the pools are visible from the road though.

I believe that the Acheleia reedbed is close by this site but I could not find exactly where it is on the internet. If anyone knows where it is, please let me know as I may well be going back to this place again in the future.

Attachments

• route.jpg
    route.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 130
  • black redstart.jpg
    black redstart.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 90
  • cl.jpg
    cl.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • rtp.jpg
    rtp.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 106
  • stone curlew.jpg
    stone curlew.jpg
    941.3 KB · Views: 93
More photos

Attachments

• sw.jpg
    sw.jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 64
  • swp1.jpg
    swp1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 46
  • swp2.jpg
    swp2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 45
  • swp3.jpg
    swp3.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 46
  • zitting cisticola.jpg
    zitting cisticola.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 70
The Paphos Sewage Works is a well known birding destination in Cyprus particularly for spur-winged plover. I almost didn't do the trip as I could not find any definite information about the site's location on the internet, and surprisingly, our holiday rep had no idea where it was! Hopefully this guide will help anyone else planning to pay it a visit.

………...

Thank you Damian, the info might come in handy if I really make it to Cyprus next year.

The Achelia teedbed and river is just a few hundred metres along the coast towards Paphos. From memory it runs alongside the approach road you probably took to get to the sewage works.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back