• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

goyt valley nr buxton (1 Viewer)

Well quite a differance from last time i was in the valley ,the tree pipets have returned as have the redstarts and the pied flycatchers Also saw 2 common sandpipers

Attachments

• sandpiper  12.JPG
    sandpiper 12.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 60
Early morning today with Goyter, very cold and windy.
Common sandpiper, cormorant and noisy canada geese, single male redstart, tree pipit, many willow warblers, 3 kestrel, red grouse and all the usual woodland species.

Phil

Went for a walk with my wife this morning ,from the main car park at errwood to the quarry car park and back on route we saw a cuckoo and heard another common sandpiper ,3 tree pipets 2 redstarts lots of siskins and willow warblers ,nuthatch ,tree creeper ,kestral ,buzzard ,2 pied flys ,curlew on the way into valley A good couple of hours ,later i went in the lower valley on my own and saw 2 female and 1 male pied flycatchers,and what looked like a young kingfisher and a dipper feeding its growing chick in the river ,fine all day bonus o:D

Spent a quiet day in the upper valley yesterday. A pair of Redstart along the riverside walk and a tree pipit singing by Erwood hall were the highlights and a pair of Peregrines flew over. Walked from Danebower to the Cat & Fiddle also and only saw a pair of Ravens and plenty of Grouse. Heard a couple of Golden Plovers but not much about. The wind was bitter at times.

Apologies for the late posting, it is the first chance I’ve had – there was a Red Kite in the valley yesterday (Sunday) morning. It flew south low over the moors from Wild Moor towards Berry Clough. Only saw if briefly but I didn’t notice any wing tags. Also seen between Erwood Resr & Derbyshire Bridge – 2 Common Sandpipers, 1 Cuckoo, 1 juvenile Tawny Owl, 1 Grey Wagtail, 3 Pied Flycatchers, 8+ Redstarts, 2 Spotted Flycatchers, pair of Stonechat food carrying & 6 Tree Pipits.

Apologies for the late posting, it is the first chance I’ve had – there was a Red Kite in the valley yesterday (Sunday) morning. It flew south low over the moors from Wild Moor towards Berry Clough. Only saw if briefly but I didn’t notice any wing tags. Also seen between Erwood Resr & Derbyshire Bridge – 2 Common Sandpipers, 1 Cuckoo, 1 juvenile Tawny Owl, 1 Grey Wagtail, 3 Pied Flycatchers, 8+ Redstarts, 2 Spotted Flycatchers, pair of Stonechat food carrying & 6 Tree Pipits.

Hopefully the Kite will hop over to the Cheshire side of the border.

CB

Last edited:
A short walk from the main car park to the quarry car park this morning before it got to hot , turned up 2 year ticks for me 1 a spotted flycatcher which we saw 2 and a hobby harrresing a buzzard also a few tree pipets a 2 redstarts, 2 sandpipers,2 ravens, 2 kestrals, 2 nuthatches a tree creeper and a greater spotted woodpecker There are plenty of birds about at the moment just listen for there calls Ps forgot to mention heard 2 cuckoos 1 on either side of the resevoir

Walked above Fernilee Reservoir this morning. 2 male and one female Cuckoo,several Tree Pipits and a flock of 30ish Crossbills which were good to see in decent light for a change.

A long hot walk in the valley today produced in the lower valley 1blackcap ,2greywagtails and a kingfisher and a couple of chiffchaffs ,met up with some birders from a manchester bird club and walked with them a while we saw 1 pied flycatcher, 1 nuthatch,1 spotted flycatcher ,heard 3 different cuckoos ,quite a few curlews another blackcap and a pair of stonechats

Attachments

• curlew  28.JPG
    curlew 28.JPG
    155.7 KB · Views: 41
  • stonechat in the sun.JPG
    stonechat in the sun.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 47
A short walk in valley this morning reveled 2 male pied flys 2 tree pipets 3 willow warblers 2 common sandpipers a goldcreast , mybe what you might expect what i didnt expect was this bird flying over my house in whaley bridge a record shot i know but from my back garden

Attachments

• red kite from home.JPG
    red kite from home.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 100
A short walk in valley this morning reveled 2 male pied flys 2 tree pipets 3 willow warblers 2 common sandpipers a goldcreast , mybe what you might expect what i didnt expect was this bird flying over my house in whaley bridge a record shot i know but from my back garden

Nice record. Which way was it heading?

CB

It was heading towards the goyt valley possably buxton this was at about 6oclock also heard of a possable sighting near errwood on saturday

After traveling to sheffield the last 2 sundays to try and see waxwings and beening sucssefull yesterday ,i managed to see 6 not 300yrds from home on reddish road whaley bridge thiss morning :-O

Not been out locally much lately ,but with the cold wheather though it might be time to catch up with some goosander on todbrook res had seen a few from macclesfield road ,looked about 6 or 7 males last week Today there was only 1 male and 2 females so turned my attention to the local park <whaley bridge> some thurshes were feeding on the ground that was not frozen ,spent an enjoyable 30minutes photographing redwings ,they just would not come close enough The park proved good for siskins as well feeding on the alders by the river goyt also saw another goosander on the goyt

Attachments

• redwing   jan.JPG
    redwing jan.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 42
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker

Always believed there should be Lesser Spots in the Goyt Valley but never found one until this morning. Actually seen from the house at the bottom of our drive. Unfortunately by the time I had got the camera and slid down the drive it had gone. Will keep looking.

Cheers Phil. Hope I can get another sighting!. Any news of them At Poynton this year? Still havn't got a decent photo

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back