• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor ID - Kruger NP, South Africa (1 Viewer)

adamt123

Hi all,

I saw this raptor on 4th Jan in the northern Kruger park (H1-8).

At first glance I thought I may be juv. African hawk eagle, but the legs are unfeathered, so possibly juv. black sparrowhawk?

Thanks for looking

Webp.net-resizeimage-2.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

no tail visible, no nostril visible, still get strong Honey Buzzard vibes here
Tom, I got the same impression, especially because I believe I can see the elongated nostril (Honey Buzzard) on the 1st pic, but as I couldn't confirm what I thought I was seeing I preferred not to comment. On a second look I think the nostril is indeed visible.

thanks for your suggestions guys.

My bird guide for SA doesn't mention that an elongated nostril is a diagnostic feature of European honey buzzards - thanks for the new info.

I have attached another cropped picture of the same bird - it probably is an EHB as you have suggested.

I have also attached an image of another bird which I took in Kruger park two days earlier with the same slit nostril - is this a European honey buzzard?

DSC_3526.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage-3.jpg

Last edited:
Based on the additional photo, I now agree with Andy that the first raptor is an immature Buteo (which species?); I was probably misinterpreting some feature on the bill cere as the nostril. The second (2nd photo on post #5) is a definite European Honey Buzzard (and here, yes, the elongated nostril is truly visible).

OP is a strange bird, I do not see any nostril on the added pic but dark cere with some yellow freckles (as in 2nd winter HB), some elongated neck feathers, iris rather light and feet covered with mud as if used to excavate stuff, not straightforward anyway

thanks all for looking anyway

Regardless of the OP, I am well pleased with the other one being a honey buzzard - as Andy mentions, rarely seen in SA/Kruger.

OP is a strange bird, I do not see any nostril on the added pic but dark cere with some yellow freckles (as in 2nd winter HB), some elongated neck feathers, iris rather light and feet covered with mud as if used to excavate stuff, not straightforward anyway

What led me to change my mind was more the shape of the head, especially the loral area (not enlarged, as in HB) and shorter head, more triangular, not so elongated as in HB, also with a more robust bill.
The muddy feet could result from drinking at a muddy waterhole, perhaps.

Looks like a Buzzard to me, Steppe / Common?

The Sasol guide to southern África points "tear-shaped flank streaks" for the Forest Buzzard, so this can be a juvenile of this sp., as its jizz doesn't remind an Accipiter or Honey Buzzard to me.
No idea about the dark cere (dirt?)

The Sasol guide to southern África points "tear-shaped flank streaks" for the Forest Buzzard, so this can be a juvenile of this sp., as its jizz doesn't remind an Accipiter or Honey Buzzard to me.
No idea about the dark cere (dirt?)

Don't think there are records from Kruger, not sure habitat is right?

That was my guess for Adamt123 inquiry.
I know nothing about Kruger lists but distribution maps seem to reach the area.
Maybe the key is taxonomy and have been seen under Mountain buzzard or Common or whatever, I don't know.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back