• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

I will be visiting Ardara/Narin area in mid April. I will be close by Sheskinmore. My first spring-time visit to Donegal! What is good there at this time of year? Is it too early for corncrake? I have read that Narin has hosted one in recent years. Where has it been heard? I am not sure that I will be able to travel too far afield, but what might be good within 25 miles of Ardara, just in case? Thanks for any info!!

Hi, i'm looking forward to revisiting this fantastic part of Ireland from 16th to 20th April, and i've got a question that i hope someone can answer. What is the seawatching like off Knockfola Head, and also Tory Island?
Many thanks in advance,
Mike.

Hi, i'm looking forward to revisiting this fantastic part of Ireland from 16th to 20th April, and i've got a question that i hope someone can answer. What is the seawatching like off Knockfola Head, and also Tory Island?
Many thanks in advance,
Mike.

Hi Mike.
I am not sure if you are the mike who just emailed me but I deleted your address by mistake...

Seawatching is good at Bloody Foreland in the Autumn especially in a strrong west or northwest wind (and I suppose Tory might be good in similar weather but would imagine BF would be better...). I am not sure about this time of year but I suppose an early Long tailed|Skua might be possible? The garden at Bloody Foreland are also worth checking for migrants its had Arctic Warbler amoung others in the past.
I dont know about Knockfola Head...
If its good weather for seawatching ie a westerly wind..the boat to tory will be cancelled so if you make it for a day trip it will be reasonably calm and probably not worth seawatching but birding from the boat can be good...see some of my previous posts from last autumn on this thread. Any records of birds are welcomed for the Tory Bird Report, particularly migrants..there might be Corncrake calling by the time you arrive..

The early ferry leaves from bunbeg at 845am. Dont worry if you leave from here and get the ferry back to mageroaroarty, they will drive you back to bunbeg...
Regarding accomodation I believe the hostel is fine and there are several Bed and Breakfasts on the Island

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hi, yes that was me - thanks for posting. I received some top tips from Joseph at Irishbirding too. Looking forward to being "in the field" - with the forecast i'll prob go to Tory on Mon while the high pressure holds, though it may be better on Tue after some overnight rain... chances are the boats might not be going then though so i'll do Foreland then. (I think Knockfola is what Foreland is called on Google maps, but i could well be wrong).
I'll send you all Tory records.
Thanks again,
Mike.

Hi Mike.
I am not sure if you are the mike who just emailed me but I deleted your address by mistake...

Seawatching is good at Bloody Foreland in the Autumn especially in a strrong west or northwest wind (and I suppose Tory might be good in similar weather but would imagine BF would be better...). I am not sure about this time of year but I suppose an early Long tailed|Skua might be possible? The garden at Bloody Foreland are also worth checking for migrants its had Arctic Warbler amoung others in the past.
I dont know about Knockfola Head...
If its good weather for seawatching ie a westerly wind..the boat to tory will be cancelled so if you make it for a day trip it will be reasonably calm and probably not worth seawatching but birding from the boat can be good...see some of my previous posts from last autumn on this thread. Any records of birds are welcomed for the Tory Bird Report, particularly migrants..there might be Corncrake calling by the time you arrive..

The early ferry leaves from bunbeg at 845am. Dont worry if you leave from here and get the ferry back to mageroaroarty, they will drive you back to bunbeg...
Regarding accomodation I believe the hostel is fine and there are several Bed and Breakfasts on the Island

Good Luck.

Well a very enjoyable few days making my way round the coast, just birding and nowt else! "Pure Birding" i call it. I can't wait to come back, roll on August.
Nothing outrageous to report but a few bits n bobs may be of local interest. Plenty of GNDs around the coast, prob 150 - 200 in the 4 days i was birding.
3 different Icelands in Sligo town, a FW and 2 SWs, one still with a dark eye though it had moulted into grey mantle feathers - odd looking thing.
Fem Peregrine at Lissadell (13.4).
Max. count of 61 GNDs at Raghly (15.4), when 7 Velvet Scoter also here and a dead Pine Marten in the middle of the N4.

Tory 16.4: v quiet. Cold strong N wind. Only had 2.5 hrs due to rather wayward scheduling of the ferries, and the strengthening wind.
White Wag - 2
Many Wheatear on territories.
Teal - pr
Tuftie - 1m 2f.
Purple Sand - 2.
Rock Dove - 12.
Dead swan - couldn't get closr but looked like Mute. Was within 30m of overhead phone lines by the largest pool.
Wren - 1.
Manx Shear - 2
Puffin - 2
Snipe 1.
Greenland Whitefront - 1. Last bird before yomping back to boat.

Killybegs:
3 FW Iceland, 1 FW Glauc.

Slieve Leag Viewpoint:
Manxie 1
Red Grouse droppings in the lower car park. Rather unexpected, wonder if one comes down for grit early morning. Plenty of habbo around.

Maghery:
Mink 1 close.

Melmore:
LTD 12
Twite 5

Fanad:
Buzzard 2
Chough 5
Juv gull which looked v v much like a YLG, bit too distant to be certain though.

Malin:
White Wag - 7. Think i may have finally got my ear in on one of their calls after years of trying! Not the "chiddick" one which i think is identical, but the "srew" call.
Stonechat - 1. First of the trip. Where have they gone?
Raven - pr Glengad. Surprised at how non-numerous these are.
Carnatra: Stonechat - 1m.
Palan Bay: Buzzard 1.
The stretch of coast from Malin to Glengad looks amazing for W B Diver but is inaccessible...
Dunaff Head: Merlin 1, Raven 1pr.

Some fantastic countryside, remote and wild - the Inishowen area is my favourite in the whole country.

Mike.

Last edited:
Corncrakes

Hi Tully,

Yes the Corncrakes should definately be there. Now is a good time to see them before the nettles grow too long. Happy hunting.

Richard

A wet bank holiday Monday on Tory

Took the early morning ferry to Tory. A breezy voyage which was enlivened by the sight of 10 Great Northern Divers together. Manx Shearwater, Fulmar, Guillemot, Razorbill, Gannets, Bonxie spotted along with reasonable numbers of gulls.

The harbour on Tory was good with Whimbrel, Turnstone, Sanderling, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Golden Plover & Mallard. As we walked inland towards Derek Hill's hut we spotted Lapwing & Snipe together with the nesting gulls. At this stage the rain started and persisted for about three hours.

A brief look at the Western cliffs produced Puffin, Razorbill, Fulmar & Guillemot. The wind & driving rain forced us to abandon these exposed delights. Later it dried up and we were treated to spectacular views of a Corncrake appearing from the nettles.

The return boat trip was quiet but produced excellent views of Great Northern Divers.

Richard.

Attachments

• Crex-Crex.jpg
    Crex-Crex.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Crex-Crex-2.jpg
    Crex-Crex-2.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Gt-Northern-Diver.jpg
    Gt-Northern-Diver.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 48
Male Bluethroat ~ Tory Island

An enjoyable trip to Tory Island today (20th) turned into a special day with excellent views of a male Bluethroat & one of the resident Corncrakes.

Richard

Attachments

• Bluethroat5.jpg
    Bluethroat5.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Bluethroat2.jpg
    Bluethroat2.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Bluethroat4.jpg
    Bluethroat4.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 91
Well done Richard! I saw it with Davey Hunter today about 200m east of the original site we had great views for 15 minutes and the bird sang briefly with 2 corncrake calling in the next field. Another 3-4 Corncrakes at the east end as well as Lesser Whitethroat and Black Redstart and 2 late Redwing and 25 Little Terns

An enjoyable trip to Tory Island today (20th) turned into a special day with excellent views of a male Bluethroat & one of the resident Corncrakes.

Richard

Thanks Peter,
Where did you get the Little Terns? We looked down near the lighthouse and saw none. We never seem to be in luck in recent years. PM me if you wish.
Richard

Thanks Peter,
Where did you get the Little Terns? We looked down near the lighthouse and saw none. We never seem to be in luck in recent years. PM me if you wish.
Richard

The Little Terns were on the lake shore and flying around on the way to the lighthouse on the left hand side of the road. I had about 12 birds with 8 Common Tern. Davey Hunter had 25 together later in the afternoon.

There is a photo of two Little Terns by the lake on the blog. http://toryislandbirdblog.blogspot.com/

More Flycatchers on Tory!

3rd June, I returned to Tory with Theo Campbell and we saw 2 Spotted Flycatchers. Full trip list to follow.

Richard

Attachments

• Spotted-Fly1.jpg
    Spotted-Fly1.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Spotted-Fly2.jpg
    Spotted-Fly2.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 51
  • Spotted-Fly3.jpg
    Spotted-Fly3.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back