• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Ultravid 8x20 BL vs Nikon Travelite Ex 8x25 (1 Viewer)

I just got back from a local walk with the Ultravids.

Just about an hour, so it was the type of walk where I'd be happy to carry any size/weight of binocular. But I'm glad I had the Ultravids :)

They also survived the "sauna test": they were around my neck, under my jacket as I walked up a steep hill and got quite sweaty. No sign of internal fogging.

If there is one other niggle I noticed, compared with the Travelites, it's the eyepiece covers / rain covers. There are two separate ones, and they are quite tight. On the Travelites, there is one combined rain cover and they are very loose. I remember some people complaining they were too loose when I was looking at reviews all those years ago. But I like that you can easily and quickly flip them off. It's a small thing, but it does add up on a walking trip where you are constantly taking them off and putting them on again. I guess a loose, combined rain cover is the kind of thing I'll be able to make/find elsewhere.

Monty,

While the specs i found did indicate the SW 8x20 has + 5 -5 diopter correction vs 3.5 for the UV, the eye relief on the SW is 13 mm vs 15 for the UV. I own both models and for me the UV delivers full FOV with close fitting sunglasses whereas the SW loses noticeable FOV with glasses.

The Opticron compact rainguard will work on the UV and can be flipped off more quickly. You can carefully cut off the all the attachment lugs on the Opticron except the one you actually use for a more compact package.

Mike

Monty,

While the specs i found did indicate the SW 8x20 has + 5 -5 diopter correction vs 3.5 for the UV, the eye relief on the SW is 13 mm vs 15 for the UV. I own both models and for me the UV delivers full FOV with close fitting sunglasses whereas the SW loses noticeable FOV with glasses.

The Opticron compact rainguard will work on the UV and can be flipped off more quickly. You can carefully cut off the all the attachment lugs on the Opticron except the one you actually use for a more compact package.

Mike

Great info, thanks.

I've been using the Ultravids quite a bit today, including in the evening in less light, and am loving them more the more I get used to them.

So I'm going to stop thinking about other possibilities, and "invest" in them by getting the compact rain guard. One just came up on eBay second hand but unused for a fiver, postage included. Thanks for the top tip.

Monty,

I've been following this thread with interest. FWIW I've owned some 10x25 Trinovid BCA's since the 90's and until a few years ago they were my only binocular. They were bought to use at concerts when the stage was a long way away (I could only afford the cheap seats then!). Personally I feel that these compact bins (8x20 10X25) sometimes don't have the standing that they deserve. Yes, an exit pupil of 2.5mm can make getting the IPD tricky to get right, and yes, of course they are dimmer in poor light than a x32 or x42, but the optical quality from these little gems from Leica is stunning (the Ultravid that you have being even better), and one quickly gets used to the handling. I've had many many hours of enjoyable viewing from my 10x25's.

These days I have some 'alpha' full size bins, including the 10x42 Noctivid, but I can still come back to the 10x25 BCA's and thoroughly enjoy them for what they are. I'd suggest that it's easy to be happy with what you've got when it's something as good as an Ultravid 8x20! Enjoy that lovely Leica view! B :)

Michael.

Monty,

Mike

The Opticron compact rainguards have arrived. I think they are as good as I could hope for, considering they are "universal". The bridge is bendy enough for them to stay on even when the binoculars are folded almost completely closed. They stay on well when the bins are hung around my neck, and are so loose that I can just tip the bins upside-down with one hand to remove them. Thanks again for the tip.

But...

Now I have a bit of a dilemma over the case. I want something very small and very light. I've already found a cheap and cheerful case lying around from a cheapo set of binoculars which fits the Ultravids perfectly sideways, but only if I stick to the individual rain covers:

In the case

Case closed

The packed size is a great improvement over the Travelite's:

Front comparison

Side comparison

The re-purposed case weights just 27g / 1oz. But I think I can do better - maybe a lighter, harder case, so I'll be keeping my eye out for other things on my travels. I've already ordered another case from eBay, it's semi-hard, and it may just fit the Ultravids in, with the Opticron rain guards on.

As I mentioned earlier, I really don't care what it looks like. I also don't particularly want to advertise that there's an expensive bit of Leica equipment inside the case, in case I leave it lying around in a public setting.

Last edited:
Monty,

I've been following this thread with interest. FWIW I've owned some 10x25 Trinovid BCA's since the 90's and until a few years ago they were my only binocular. They were bought to use at concerts when the stage was a long way away (I could only afford the cheap seats then!). Personally I feel that these compact bins (8x20 10X25) sometimes don't have the standing that they deserve. Yes, an exit pupil of 2.5mm can make getting the IPD tricky to get right, and yes, of course they are dimmer in poor light than a x32 or x42, but the optical quality from these little gems from Leica is stunning (the Ultravid that you have being even better), and one quickly gets used to the handling. I've had many many hours of enjoyable viewing from my 10x25's.

These days I have some 'alpha' full size bins, including the 10x42 Noctivid, but I can still come back to the 10x25 BCA's and thoroughly enjoy them for what they are. I'd suggest that it's easy to be happy with what you've got when it's something as good as an Ultravid 8x20! Enjoy that lovely Leica view! B :)

Michael.

Thanks Michael.

This thread, plus a bit of extra looking around and comparisons, has convinced me that I've got an excellent pair of binoculars here. They are quite probably the best I could find for my purposes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back