• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Service. Outstanding. (1 Viewer)

Veracocha

Once again the after-sales service at Hawke is outstanding. I lost both front eye covers and the strap for my frontiers and Hawke kindly sent be both within 24-hours. A truly exceptional company to deal with.

I just bought another Hawke bin (10x25 Endurance) so maybe I'll put up a comment about them after I get them but from what I could find out online mentioning them they could be quite good. Hope so.

Once again the after-sales service at Hawke is outstanding. I lost both front eye covers and the strap for my frontiers and Hawke kindly sent be both within 24-hours. A truly exceptional company to deal with.

I agree its exceptional customer service, but I think there might be a reason.

I have 2 pairs of Hawke ED binoculars and both have had the front eye covers come off in use when I've been out birding and not noticed. I also have a friend who owns a pair and the same thing has happened. I too would say Hawke were quick to replace them in both instances. To me this is clearly a design fault and Hawke need more than good customer service to put it right.

More seriously, one eye ring on my 8 by 42s has sheared off completely so I cannot attach the strap. This has never happened with any bin I have ever owned at any price and suggests a defect in the metal casting. Let you know how they deal with that one!
By the way, the guarantee is not in the box and I can't remember if I posted it off or something? Any pointers on how the guarantee works??
Paul

My current frontiers are my 10th pair and purchased pre-owned without the covers. My reliance upon Hawke's goodwill been down to my own carelessness whenever I used them. All of my MK1's all had the objective rings that were the ring type but they remained in place and all of my MKII's have been perfect in every way. I picked up some Pro-Stalks without a strap or case and after a short email to them they sent me both gratis.

I run a target shooting club in the Midlands and one of my members old scope failed on him. I put a quick email to Deben who asked me to send it to them for inspection. A few days later they replaced it f-o-c for an upgraded model. This is top league customer service which ensures my future purchases with Deben/Hawke.

Hawke service is the best I've ever experienced.

They replaced my Sapphire 8x43 recently with one that seems bullet proof so how could I think otherwise not to mention all the other times they have been of help over the years.

The eyecup of my Hawke Frontier PC 8x25 broke off recently. It had become stiff to twist in an out quite a while ago and I think I forced it once to often and so it finally failed otherwise worked perfectly for years.

I would bet that if I had contacted Hawke (as it was still under warranty) they might have been able to fix it simply enough or they might have replaced it possibly with an Endurance as the Frontier 8x25 is no longer made.

Anyhow I'm glad I bought the Endurance instead although it was used on auction so I'm taking a chance that it works but I'm more confident about Hawke bins now and if I get a year or two use from it then that's fine and I still bet if I need Hawke's help I will be able to rely on that but I don't like to abuse it.

I would also say that it was a fun bidding competition -ok it cost me more- but I think it show's also that folk's are realising that going Hawke (even used) is quite a good option and I'm sure that realisation will continue to grow. Bad side is they will increase in price, perhaps, so maybe get in there now but they do seem to be continually developing and investing and improving and good luck to them.

Last edited:
Ok looking at my last comment maybe I should have left the Frontier in for repair.

I ended up having to leave the Endurance 10x25 in for focus repair and it's there now and likely to cost me as much as I paid for the binocular but I do like it and hope they will be able to fix it well.

There was to much slack in the focus and it started to grate on me so I attempted a self diagnosis and possible repair and broke a small plastic part of the focuser and had to decide whether to send it for repair or bin it and so I'm seeing if it can be repaired (not under warranty as bought used but in new condition) but I'm kind of feeling at the moment that just buying a new one (with warranty) would have been the better move originally or possibly even now.

I think the repair costs are very good for a larger more expensive bin but for this lower price one they are expensive relative to the new bin price but if I get it back focusing nicely then I will be happy and hopefully it will last a while but there is a 9 month warranty on the repair. I'm sure they will be able to fix it but just how well is the question. If it actually comes back focussing accurately then that will be amazing and I will be very happy as not even with buying a new one is there any guarantee of this.

I do wonder about the seller if they realised that the bin had a bad focus (still useable just about but pretty bad) and why they didn't get it repaired under the warranty. Everything else about it is perfect. Maybe they just didn't realise it wasn't supposed to be like that? I could of course have returned it but it took so much hassle to get over Xmas post I decided to give it a go as it was and I liked it very much otherwise.

I would now be more careful about buying used Hawke in future but I have yet to see the outcome of this situation. It's definitely a great little binocular or I wouldn't have bothered and just binned it.

Last edited:
Well funny how things turn out. You always seem to get what you wish for with Hawke. Well I would have been happy with a repair but...

Seems my Endurance had taken a knock and one of the prisms was loose causing the problem all along and not economical to repair fully. Might have happened that the seller knew about this knock or that it was damaged in posting to me? There was no sign of any damage to it but may have been dropped or such and knocked the prism out internally?

Anyhow Hawke offered me 50% off a brand new one with full warranty so of course I grabbed that and it's on it's way.

So I ended up with what I thought I should have done in the first place i.e. buy a new one and hopefully this replacement will be good and of course there is some peace of mind with the full warranty.

Hawke does it again. Very fair and decent of them I think and I'm certainly very happy with them yet again.

Wasn't expecting the new Endurance 10x25 so quickly but it just arrived and after a quick inspection it's definitely safe to say that the distance focus on this is 100%

I think the near focus is a little out though but only a little and anyhow it's the distance that I really want this for.

Interesting is that it has the new Hawke logo badge on it. Like a -H (dash H) but seems to be a cross made into an H, that's if I'm looking at the it right way up?

Oh I see that I must be as it's on the focus wheel also like -Hawke.

Superb little bin for the price. They should sell truck loads of these in the 8x as well I would imagine. Can definitely see it being one of my most used bins so glad I got the faulty one replaced and very nice to have my first Hawke rebadge.

I notice they have upgraded the strap and case slightly also. The strap is slightly wider and the case has some soft covering to the inside but the old model and case etc are fine. The optics and all else appear to be the same and that means good or very good for a compact. It also comes in quite a flash box which is a nice touch although I don't think I will have these in that again.

Thanks again -Hawke. Just very pleased with a simple great product :))

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back