• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A BETTER upgrade than the new oly 300mm f4? (2 Viewers)

Looking good Carlos! Keep working at it. My favorite photos of ducks and water birds are usually from a very low angle perspective. That's why someday I see myself following in your footsteps with the Mr. Jan or something similar.

My few experiences in photography blinds on land have sometimes been very cold... I learned the hard way to bring chemically activated hand warmers like "Hot Hands," or now I also also have the "Energy Flux Rechargable Hand Warmer." I can imagine it might also be a problem in freezing cold water. I wonder if I could put some warmers inside the dry suit next to my feet?

Dave

Here's a photo of a Greater Prairie Chicken from perhaps my coldest photography session ever. This was 2 years ago late March, in a photography blind in central Nebraska. I had been sitting still in there for over an hour fighting the cold. This was just moments after the sun came up so the light is quite warm, but note the frosty ground. I don't know how cold it was, but I remember even with help from the chemical hand-warmers, my fingers were so numb that I struggled to operate the camera buttons.

Dave

Attachments

• Greater_Prairie_Chicken-1024by768.jpg
    Greater_Prairie_Chicken-1024by768.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 270
Nice photos guys. You should come to Quebec for cold weather bird photography. I don't remember the exact temperature for those 2 photos, but I remember it was extremely cold for both outings. For me, extremely cold is at least MINUS 25 C.

The first one is a Great Grey Owl and the second one is a Snowy Old. I never use live baits. For the GGO, I waited patiently behind a bush for about 1 hour. I approached the Snowy Owl on snowshoes: 3 slow steps, take a photo, wait 1 minute without moving, repeat until the bird decides it is enough... Both taken with a Canon 100-400mm.

Attachments

• 001-050203ae116k4f.jpg
    001-050203ae116k4f.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 224
  • 001-060122ae013kf.jpg
    001-060122ae013kf.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I think you will win the prize for the coldest bird photography, Jules! Nice owl photos. Great Grey Owls are very uncommon and local in a few parts of the Sierra Nevada but I have still never seen one. I have seen Snowy Owls a few times during the wintertime when they roam south, but my only chances to photograph them have not been wonderful. Your Snowy Owl photo benefits from the side-lighting. I think that would help when photographing a white bird on a white background! :) Good job.
Dave

I think you will win the prize for the coldest bird photography, Jules! Nice owl photos. Great Grey Owls are very uncommon and local in a few parts of the Sierra Nevada but I have still never seen one. I have seen Snowy Owls a few times during the wintertime when they roam south, but my only chances to photograph them have not been wonderful. Your Snowy Owl photo benefits from the side-lighting. I think that would help when photographing a white bird on a white background! :) Good job.
Dave

Thanks for your comments Dave. GGOs are quite rare in Quebec and we don't see them every winter. The Snowy Owls are a bit more common and quite plentiful some winters. The GGOs are quite easy to photograph because they don't seem to be afraid of humans while the SOs like to keep their distances.

Attachments

• 001-130210aa029kf.jpg
    001-130210aa029kf.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 238
Had the opportunity to train some more on a calmer lake.

all taken with the TS 480 apo and the e-m5 mk1

air temp in the morning was -1... water temp at least warmer.
Nice, the Common Sandpiper is my favorite. Wish we had Slavonian Grebes here...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back