• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are red squirrels insane? (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg said:
It's funny you should say this - in today's Guardian there is a recipe for a grey squirrel dish - and suggestions for cooking other species whose numbers are over-large!!

It's quite graphic - not for the squeamish - it suggests leaving the squirrel heads on - "the eyes will cloud over like opals in the heat of the fire"!!! (Under the grill, actually). :eek!:

Actually the critter should be skinned, the paws, tail and head should be removed, the body should be cut up into pieces as you would a chicken, and then it should be cooked in one of two ways:

(1) Floured, seasoned and fried in a cast iron skillet, or

(2) Seasoned and cooked in your favorite stew recipe.

At least that's the way we'all do it in the South here. And the recipe is the same for grey, red, black or fox...

:eat:

GR

black squirril

Black squirrils are found in small colonys throughout northern Ohio and behave the same as their red cousins
Sam

Attachments

• BF black squirril.jpg
    BF black squirril.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 139
I was watching two (a pair?) of Red Squirrels in the park over the road with my daughter (2.5) yesterday afternoon. They were certainly enjoying themselves, chasing each other round and round the trunk of a pine tree - playing hide-and-seek, it seemed, for one would suddenly belt away higher up the tree leaving the other going round and round alone, until the higher one came running down and chased the other. Very entertaining. They were also foraging amongst the litter left (unfortunately!) by the homeless sleepers (unfortunates) who populate the park.
Also saw a single one minus ear-tufts, and am wondering if that's a juvenile?
David

black52bird said:
I was watching two (a pair?) of Red Squirrels in the park over the road with my daughter (2.5) yesterday afternoon. They were certainly enjoying themselves, chasing each other round and round the trunk of a pine tree - playing hide-and-seek, it seemed, for one would suddenly belt away higher up the tree leaving the other going round and round alone, until the higher one came running down and chased the other. Very entertaining. They were also foraging amongst the litter left (unfortunately!) by the homeless sleepers (unfortunates) who populate the park.
Also saw a single one minus ear-tufts, and am wondering if that's a juvenile?
David

Hello David,
I have seen similar chases, but only on three occasions in the last 40 or so years, in the pine forests in Northumberland. They are very funny to watch, and can go on for several minutes or until they realise they are being watched. Strangely, all have been in May and not this late in the year. I can't help with the ear tufts but I seem to remember reading somewhere that they got longer, the older the squirrel. A bit like mens eyebrows.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello David,
I have seen similar chases, but only on three occasions in the last 40 or so years, in the pine forests in Northumberland. They are very funny to watch, and can go on for several minutes or until they realise they are being watched. Strangely, all have been in May and not this late in the year. I can't help with the ear tufts but I seem to remember reading somewhere that they got longer, the older the squirrel. A bit like mens eyebrows.

Harry

Have we, as yet, come to a consensus as to whether red squirrels are, in fact, insane?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back