• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (2 Viewers)

After what seems like an eternity with a couple of “was it..or wasn’t it’s”. A grdn.1st in 35 years on “the furniture” this am, could scarcely believe my eyes! On my relatively smooth skinned Small Sycamore trunk in direct sunlight, before I could aim the camera...a Treecreeper disappearing round the side of the house, no.52.

Congratulations Steve, Mark and Ken - to join in the fun I too had a 'garden lifer' for here today:

45 Grey Wagtail

They breed by the Nant Bruyant (noisy stream in French!) less than 1km away, I think this one had been exploring the other stream closer to our place and was flying back to base. A very mild day today before the 'Mini beast from the East' arrives tomorrow, persuaded Wren, Marsh Tit, Fieldfare and Goldfinch to start their breeding song/calls. My very first visual migration here today too, two flocks of Woodpigeon high East. Last year the first Black Redstart came back on the 17th, it'll need its thermals if it does the same this year :eek!:

Yes...cheers Richard! Over the last few days have had both Blackbird and Long-tailed Tit carrying nesting material, the latter with a big, white breast feather! Coz of the impending “beast” I’d let the feeders empty before disinfecting and refilling for the cold snap, also today a pair of Blackcap arrived, as did the Sprawk putting the Siskins to flight, it all ended well for the Siskins at least....o:)

Grounded

Not just me grounded by the horrible sleet and snow, several Song Thrushes and at least a dozen of these frosty beauties, only one female amongst them, all feeding frantically behind the house at 8.30:

46 Ring Ousel

Attachments

• M a P 17.3.18.jpg
    M a P 17.3.18.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 27
Not just me grounded by the horrible sleet and snow, several Song Thrushes and at least a dozen of these frosty beauties, only one female amongst them, all feeding frantically behind the house at 8.30:

46 Ring Ousel

A tremendous grdn.tick! If I had one of those I'd come out in a "hot frush" ;)

They're extremely skittish too, flew off in all of a panic when a Roe Deer buck trotted through the field, the Blackbirds gave them (in my imagination of course) a pitying look and carried on digging up the worms, I suppose they don't see Roe deer in the Atlas Mts!
It's all kicking off now, a flock of 21 Starling has turned up to feed in the field, exactly the same date as last year's first one

47 Starling

Last edited:
Not seen anything new but have seen a few species that I found I had missed off my list.

33. Great Tit
34. Wren
35. Greenfinch
36. Goldfinch

Minus 12, but a few warmish days last week saw a retreat in the snow ...and with it, the arrival of the first spring migrants - Rooks and Jackdaws back a week ago, and one of my favourite signs of early spring, trumpeting Cranes in my meadow on Thursday.

Lost count of my tally, need to count up again ...shouldn't take long, still basically just the winter stuff at present.

The heaviest snow fall (so far?) of the winter here overnight, with about 10cm this morning, meant no way was I venturing out to do my wildfowl counts. Three hours in the garden instead, with an obvious cold weather movement to the south including

60 Meadow Pipit

Ten of them, along with 320 Redwings and 250 Fieldfares. The pipits are only just arriving back from the south.

Steve

Five down on same time last year, until a male Bullfinch (just one sighting last year), morphed onto my neighbour's flowering Cherry, no.53.

Am currently on a roll! certainly not had one for many a year, came almost vertically out of the river opposite and almost creased my roof....no.54 Common Snipe. o:)

Last edited:
Seems I am on a roll too, after Kestrel on Saturday and Meadow Pipit yesterday.....

61 Yellowhammer

One flew over, clearly pushed into town by the surrounding snow.

Steve

Speaking of Yellowhammers, every evening a group assemble around the house and trees in the vicinity before going to roost, around a dozen throughout the winter on average. I joked with a friend that the Pine Buntings wintering in Italy weren't that far away so maybe one day one would 'hop' over the Alps to join my yellow ones. My heart missed a beat this evening when I glimpsed something odd arrive with a couple of Yellowhammers........... No, not a Pine Bunting, but only the second-ever 48 Rock Bunting for the garden. Just like the first one last year, it flew off before I could get the camera ready, a lesson learned (again ;) ), but still a perfect end to my day, I had gone down to the lake shore east of Geneva and a wetland near the city and managed to find a Caspian Gull, my first Crag Martins of the year, a Cattle Egret and two White Storks, plus 'boxing' Hares. All in a pleasant sunshine and 9°C, the forecast was for 3° max with snow - Result :t:

Speaking of Yellowhammers, every evening a group assemble around the house and trees in the vicinity before going to roost, around a dozen throughout the winter on average. I joked with a friend that the Pine Buntings wintering in Italy weren't that far away so maybe one day one would 'hop' over the Alps to join my yellow ones. My heart missed a beat this evening when I glimpsed something odd arrive with a couple of Yellowhammers........... No, not a Pine Bunting, but only the second-ever 48 Rock Bunting for the garden. Just like the first one last year, it flew off before I could get the camera ready, a lesson learned (again ;) ), but still a perfect end to my day, I had gone down to the lake shore east of Geneva and a wetland near the city and managed to find a Caspian Gull, my first Crag Martins of the year, a Cattle Egret and two White Storks, plus 'boxing' Hares. All in a pleasant sunshine and 9°C, the forecast was for 3° max with snow - Result :t:

It's been a few years since I last visited Lake Geneva Richard, brings back memories though, one early Sep.(forget the year), several Arc/Pom.Skuas and a Sabine's Gull! one afternoon seen from the Southern end (causeway/swimming area), also (same time, different year) a Whiskered Tern and 2 migrating Honey Buzzards....as Gen.D.MacArthur once said, "I shall return".

Last edited:
Still rolling!.....only the 2nd time in 35 years, a high, fast winging Shoveler going South against a Western sky. no.56.

Still rolling!.....only the 2nd time in 35 years, a high, fast winging Shoveler going South against a Western sky. no.56.

I wish you'd all slow down a bit - still stuck in a wintry period here, by this date last year I'd added returning Black Kite, Chiffchaff, Black Kite, Blackcap, Black Redstart and Crag Martin, all have been present a few miles away at lower altitudes for a while now.
Still, nice to se an early morning:

49 Grey Heron

so the half century is nearly here!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back