• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds id help - Tamilnadu, South India - 1 (1 Viewer)

ajayr

Hi

Spotted these in Tamilnadu, South India last week. Would really appreciate any help in iding these birds. Sorry about the poor quality of some of the pics.Some of these birds were really afar.

1) Is the one on the left a broad-billed sandpiper. As the bill looks too long for a little stint.

2) Are the birds in the front curlew sandpipers?

3), and the one in the middle in 4) - Immature brown-headed gulls?

5) Is the redshank a spotted redshank? Asking as I have not spotted this prominent an eye-stripe in the common redshanks I've seen.

Thanks very much
Ajay

Attachments

• BB.JPG
    BB.JPG
    621 KB · Views: 70
  • CS.JPG
    CS.JPG
    412.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Gull1.JPG
    Gull1.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Gull2.JPG
    Gull2.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Redshank1.JPG
    Redshank1.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 65
1/ Not Broad-billed. I'd say a Sanderling (second option is Little Stint indeed)
2/ Yeah, they look like indeed
3.4/ yes
5/ Difficult on this small photo

Thanks very much, everyone. It is true that their legs are longer here. One of the reasons for my confusion. Appreciate your help very much.

I'd say the Redshank is Common - the legs and bill don't seem long enough for Spotted, and the rather plain, brown plumage also fits better for Common.

I think the bird in No 1 is a Little Stint. I'd expect Sanderling to be more uniform and paler grey, and also to have a slightly thicker bill. Definitely not Broad-billed.

Can someone explain why the gull in 3 and 4 is brown-headed and not black-headed. Don the retained juvenile wing feathers not favour black-headed?

Can someone explain why the gull in 3 and 4 is brown-headed and not black-headed. Don the retained juvenile wing feathers not favour black-headed?
I was wondering the same - these birds do somehow look 'oddly bulky' for Black-h, but I'd certainly not want to base an ID on that!

I don't think Ajayr was asking about the birds to the left and right in no. 4, which do look like Brown-headed to me.

That's right. I think those in the left and right in 4 are brown headed. I specifically was looking for help for the one in 3 and the middle one in 4. I asked as I had the same doubt about the bulk and the dark plumage. Also, the head shape in 3 looked like a black headed to me while the one in 4 like a brown headed. Hence, wanted to check.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back