• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seasalter / Whitstable - Kent - reserves nearby ? (1 Viewer)

Going to north Kent for a couple of days in early October and have noticed reserve signs on the coast just west of Seasalter. Could someone kindly give info on this area and give some idea on which species are likely to be around at this time - anything out of the ordinary ?

Going to north Kent for a couple of days in early October and have noticed reserve signs on the coast just west of Seasalter. Could someone kindly give info on this area and give some idea on which species are likely to be around at this time - anything out of the ordinary ?

Hi,

You'll find yourself in a great area! Details of all the local sites along with recent sitings and blogs of local birders can be find on the KOS website here - http://www.kentos.org.uk/. This is a really useful guide to the area and should be all you need.

Happy birding

Perry

Perrie - very many thanks. The KOS web site is indeed an excellent one and extremely informative. It would seem I am likely to encounter snow bunting which is a species I have yet to see, and that is just a start. Once again, many thanks.

Oare marshes in particular will be good at that time of year... actually, it's great at all times of the year! the walk along the sea wall at Reculver from the towers is your best bet for snow buntings; maybe a tad early but I've had one lonely male early September. Shorelarks can make an appearance here too if you're lucky. Seasalter itself can be great for bearded tits early in the morn on a still day.. Wherever you wander along this stretch of coast you'll encounter great birds, enjoy!

Thank you Kev - have just researched said area and it does look like a brilliant spot where anything may just turn up - will definitely give it a go before dining at The Sportsman on the Friday night - good man.

It may be over an hours drive but if you can get down to Dungeness, it is definitely worth it. I had an amazing day down there today.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back