• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A strange move by Canon (2 Viewers)

thing is big memory cards are now not uncommon - and unless you get them from Jessopes they are affordable as well.
I think this is really showing what many felt at the time of the 50D release - that it was more of a stopgap camera released to keep face and competition with Nikon more than anything else.
For the 60D I just hope that they cap the MP at 15 (maybe go a little higher but nothing as drastic as 21) and work on giving us better ISO performance without a loss in clarity - that is what is stealing the market from canon at the moment - so many people have shifted to nikon to get that improved ISO performance and its not the entry people its those who are (and have) invested serious money into the company - your sports and wildlife people as well as wedding photographers - basically anyone who finds themselves in lower light conditions and needing to turn to ISO

Low-end and midrange (1.5-1.6 crop) DSLRs make excellent birding cameras due to high pixel density and reasonable high-ISO performance. However, I would guess that the number of people using these cameras for serious birding is less than 100K worldwide, whereas the total sales volume of DSLRs was close to 16M in 2008. Consequently, the typical buyer of a DSLR more likely uses it to take snapshots of family and friends. Eliminating the need to have both a camcorder and a DSLR at your kids birthday party may be a very strong sales driver for digicams. However, dealing with DoF issues will be certainly more challenging when using a DSLR as a camcorder...

Last edited:
As a keen birdwatcher, still photographer and videographer (as well as digiscoper and videoscoper) I welcome the idea of a reasonably priced DSLR that is capable of capturing video. My compact digicam and camcorder both shoot acceptable video through my scope. My DSLR and lenses I use for serious bird photography. To be able to use one camera capable of capturing good quality stills and video would save some weight in my backpack, not to mention the extra battery chargers when travelling.

I've got 16GB in my 50D. That's 500 times larger than my first hard disk and 2000 times bigger than the first CF card I ever owned!
First PC I got was supposed to be with a 10mb hard drive but they had run out of 10 mb so fitted a 20mb for the same price, I could not believe my luck :-O

Definately looks a great spec camera for the price,still using a 350d,which is a great little camera,never been tempted to upgrade until now,anybody know if accessories eg Battery grip are compatible with the 500d

How is someone giving a personal opinion regarded as complaining ? You obviously have far too much time on your hands to sit and nit pick instead of being constructive. Anyway, i have to go, im on TV in an hour, i wonder if they will be using a DSLR to film it........................................or perhaps not.

Some people just love complaining, I bet they send their meals back when they eat out !!

Right...

So we can't have an opinion on the cameras aimed at us now? If we didn't have so many people voicing opinion, there would be very little positive development in DSLR's.

Like PostcardCv says, camera companies know the score, but I think with more people getting into photography and onto forums such as POTN, they are under more pressure to deliver good cams.

As for the ###D series, they're great little cameras - the image quality in many ways is very similar to the ##D series, but have less advanced features and are not as well built.
I've got a 400D now, but I will not be buying into the 500D; I can't see it as anything more than a marginal upgrade, that, for a significant lump of cash, will make very little real world difference to my images.

From what I was able to read today, it appears that 50D and 500D have the same sensor. However, the 50D has still much better ergonomics:

1. Viewfinder:
EOS 50D:
  • 95% frame coverage
  • 0.95x magnification
  • 22mm eyepoint
EOS500D:
  • 95% frame coverage
  • 0.87x magnification
  • 19mm eyepoint

2. Controls
EOS 50D:
  • Quick control wheel
  • Multi control selector
EOS500D:
  • Four way controller
Being able to change the exposure compensation using the quick control wheel and change the AF point using the multi control selector without taking ones eye off the viewfinder may be a crucial ergonomic feature for many birders.

3. AF Sensor
EOS 50D: All 9 AF points are cross type at f/5.6
EOS500D: Only the center AF point is cross type at f/5.6

4. Frame rate
EOS 50D: 6.3 fps up to 90 JPEG / 16 RAW frames
EOS500D: 3.4 fps up to 170 JPEG / 9 RAW frames

5. Shutter
EOS 50D:
  • Max shutter speed 1/8000 sec
  • 100,000 exposure durability
  • Flash X-Sync: 1/250 sec
EOS500D:
  • Max shutter speed 1/4000 sec
  • Durability not specified
  • Flash X-Sync: 1/200 sec

Here Here
True true. Jeff Poklen, a great Canon shooter from California has used the 10D right through the 50D and has even a few great shots with his Rebel XTI and perhaps one other.

Honestly, I've been wanting a second camera for a while, just to have two (my girlfriend likes to borrow one at times and I hate to be without). I've been waiting to see what Nikon will release soon but this new Rebel is tempting for sure. For the price a D400 will probably cost, I could get this camera and a Canon lens. Perhaps only costing a tad bit more but close enough.

The D400 had better have some significant advantages over this camera or I may very well buy my first Canon SLR. Just makes more sense to get a body and lens for the price of a body alone.

Come on! Canon cant even get it right without the video! look how many 40D's had to be returned with faulty shutters, mine included.
Adding a video to a DSLR would just be asking for more to go wrong IMOI.

Anyway I shall stick to my 30D for now & when they flood the market with gimmicky SLR's I will buy a pro body to avoid all this.

And thats my 2 pence worth!!!

Come on! Canon cant even get it right without the video! look how many 40D's had to be returned with faulty shutters, mine included.
Adding a video to a DSLR would just be asking for more to go wrong IMOI.

Isn't it the mirror mechanism that's the cause of the 40D problems rather than the shutter itself?

As I see it, the 500D is just another (small) step towards the day when they do without the mirror all together (similar to Panasonic G1). The main problem is getting an EVF to match the quality/experience of the reflex viewfinder and once they've got that sorted 'live view' will be the norm together with video again being the norm as it is on compact cameras.

Definately looks a great spec camera for the price,still using a 350d,which is a great little camera,never been tempted to upgrade until now,anybody know if accessories eg Battery grip are compatible with the 500d

As has been said the grip won't be the same as the 350D one - the batteries are even smaller (the same as the 450D and 1000D ones).

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back