• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

weird looking dove in north Afghanistan? (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hi everyone,
This is probably just some weird variant of the typical laughing dove here, but does anyone know why this dove would be this deep brown color?

I haven't changed the coloring of the photo at all, and it's pretty true to what I saw in person. I've never seen one this color before.

Thanks!

Attachments

• dove.jpg
    dove.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 124
There might be oil or smthng in the plumage. Breast feathers seem to be wet or in bad condition.
I think Laughing Dove is only possibility.

Hi everyone, This is probably just some weird variant of the typical laughing dove here, but does anyone know why this dove would be this deep brown color? I haven't changed the coloring of the photo at all, and it's pretty true to what I saw in person. I've never seen one this color before. Thanks!

If birds wash in mineral-rich puddles, their plumage can take on the hue characteristic of that mineral 'soup', and it can take a long time for the hue to disappear, sometimes only after a moult (molt in the US!). This is analagous to my experience of getting splashes of 'red earth' on T-shirts and shorts in the heart of Australia, 300km NW of Alice Springs. After dozens of washes, the clothes were still stained! Probably a chemical reaction is also involved.

The only other possible candidate for the bird pictured is Spotted Dove Spilopelia chinensis (a congener), but it's mainly confined to east Afghanistan, only one record being known from the north. To be a Spotted Dove, the staining would have to be strong enough to obscure some ID features
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back