• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
I'm coming to Mallorca this Saturday with my family. Staying at Cala San Vicent for a week. Are the Shearwaters (mainly Balearic) easy to see close by? And where will be the best spot for Bonelli's Eagle?

Thanks
ChristianSG

Hi Christian. Mortitx is the best place for seeing Bonelli’s eagles. They are seen on nearly every visit.
Balearic shearwaters are just arriving back in the waters around Mallorca. The east coast is by far the best but Formentor will probably deliver.
There is nowhere on the island to see Shearwaters close except by boat. They will be fairly distant. I go to my local lighthouse most days and there are occasions when the birds come in really close. I thought it was because of favorable winds but I have established it isn’t. They come in to feed and when there is a shoal of fish close in, the birds will venture close by. This only happens a couple of times a year so distant views will be more likely.
The only other shearwater regularly in the waters is Scopoli’s which at the moment will outnumber Balearics.
Good luck, do let us know what you see.
Mike

@Mike. Thank you very much for info. I'll be sure to post my sightings here.
And I'll probably ask for help with other species in the week to come ;-) It would be great to end the holiday with a couple of lifers...
Christian

Hello!
Yesterday one male Lesser Kestrel was seen by Juanjo Bazán in Pla de Lanzell, Vilafranca.
And 2-3 Bluethroat have been seen in the surroundings of the Platform of Sa Barcassa, in s'Albufereta, by Graham Moffat and one Mike (I don't know which Mike, sorry )

Regards,
Cristina.

Thanks to Lalo I got the totals for today at the Cap de Ses Salines.
Eleonora’s Falcon: 13
Common Kestrel: 20
Honey Buzzard: 1
Booted Eagle: 34
Marsh Harrier: 4
Hobby: 1
Mike

Went out for a shortish walk on the hillside of Cala San Vicente upon arriving yesterday aftenoon.
The first part through the woods produced a fair amount of Robin and Firecrest. Out in the open Sardinian Warblers were everywhere. Two Ravens were displaying over the hillside. Over the cliffs by the sea a single Eleonora’s Falcon showed off for 10 min. A splendid sighting.

In order to escape the rain yesterday we ended up at Cala Mondragó. The drive down from Cala Sant Vicenç gave some good raptors. 5 Lesser Kestrel, 3 Red Kite, 2 Booted Eagle and 1 Black Vulture. While the family were on the beach I walked the backcountry of Cala Mondragó. A couple of hours gave 1 Peregrine and 1 Red-footed Falcon, 2 Red Kite, 1 Booted Eagle, 3 Raven. Small birds included many Sardinian Warblers, Robins, 3 Crossbill and 1 Zitting Cisticola seen very well.

Thanks to all for updates. Shocking news from the island yesterday. Hope all safe and well and wildlife recovers quickly. M

I second that. I've actually experienced similar heavy rain with flash floods and fatalitiesand it's quite shocking. I've also heard that some friends who live on Mallorca are safe, so that was a relief.

Martin

I seen the floods on TV this morning.Sad to hear that It has resulted in fatalities.
My thoughts are with everyone on the Island.

46 Booted eagles seen by Javi leaving Mallorca for Africa today, an excellent number.
They circle around the Cap de Ses Salines gaining height all the time before heading off south at tremendous altitude, a wonderful sight. I always wish them luck, they have a long and perilous journey ahead. Mike.

Hi all devastating news from the island.
We are flying out later today, for 10 days birding, any up dates on travel would be much appreciated.
Were there any subsequent sightings of the White headed Duck near the airport?

The Island is slowly recovering. Many people are out sweeping mud and debris including none other than Rafa Nadal. He was photographed complete with wellies and shovel getting stuck in. What a wonderful role model this guy is, he loves Mallorca and will always pose for photos and have a chat. Amazing man.
Not sure about the White-headed Duck, if anyone knows, could they please update us.
Bassa de Can Guidet is always worth a visit anyway. Mike

Mike...

This place seldom fails to please

RSPB Fairburn Ings, Newton Ln, Castleford WF10 2BH, UK

I'm out on the Island later next week for 7 days...looking like good Northerlies to help migration :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back