• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriole, Toronto (1 Viewer)

mordovarot

Toronto, May 2018.
Baltimore or Orchard?

Attachments

• IMG_6915.jpg
    IMG_6915.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6809-2.jpg
    IMG_6809-2.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6518.jpg
    IMG_6518.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 42
The third bird I suspected Orchard because of its black throat along with the wide white wing bar. Are these features still ok for the Baltimore?

The third bird I suspected Orchard because of its black throat along with the wide white wing bar. Are these features still ok for the Baltimore?

Yes. Females/young birds are variable. Orchard Oriole never shows the light orange color shown in the photo.

Except that sometimes they do in photos. I wouldn’t make a habit of going by color on orioles especially in shadows from one picture that isn’t even all that orange. That being said it does look perhaps more likely a Baltimore.

1. Baltimore
2 orchard
3 not sure but would tentatively go with Baltimore.

I wouldn’t make a habit of going by color on orioles especially in shadows from one picture that isn’t even all that orange.

Each to his own. I've found it to be 100% reliable for distinguishing the two eastern orioles. Orchard will always be yellow-green without a hint of orange (except the dark maroon of the adult male of course).

In any event, the brown speckled "cap" and brown speckled throat also rule out Orchard.

I'm also in the Baltimore, Orchard, Baltimore camp.

And I agree with Jim M. that color is a very reliable indicator.

FWIW, the plumage seen in picture #3 is a commonly seen plumage for young Baltimore Orioles, but rarely seen in the northeast of N.A. for orchard orioles. Clearly they must transition through something like that, but I can't recall ever seeing it. I suspect it happens on the wintering grounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back