• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

URLs for moth and butterfly enthusiasts (1 Viewer)

Oi Ken

I take great exception to you calling this great work 'Ancient', it was one of the most modern complete works in this building here!! There are 4 books to this collection, 2 with written description, 1 with Imago drawings, and your Caterpillar one, and they are the ones I had to use most often, until I forked out for Mr Skinner, and Porter's works. 1910 is still less than a 100 years old, although granted it was along time ago!

Andrew Parker forwarded this Austrian site to me and I have just been using it. I am finding the Thumbnail overview function excellent, (it is called "Bildübersicht" in German). The No. is the Austrian Huemer & Tarmann numbers according to 1993 Edition, so there are maybe a couple 'misplacements' against the current English listing.

I have found more than a few answers over the last few days, might even be able to post a list of what we have had in 2005, within 2005 now.

Cheers

Jim

http://www.schmetterlinge.at/

PS this didn't quite work, klick on "Schmetterlinge" to find way to "Nachtfalter"(moths). Sorry.

Last edited:
that's a brilliant site, Jim. The thumbnail pages are a very good idea. and there are some really outstanding photos (micros as well as macros).
Ken

Surreybirder said:
I found this site while trying to learn a bit about moth anatomy. The anatomy section is excellent (including definitions of all the topographical terms--tornal line etc). But is the US terminology different from the UK?
http://www.ndsu.edu/ndsu/ndmoths/home.htm
Ken

Hello Ken,
Having had a quick look through the Glossaries A - G I can only find one word I wasn't familar with and that was Tarsometres (tarsal segments) Glossary H may take longer to work through, but the American terminology seems to be identical with that in use in Europe.

Now you know exactly what the terminology is, there is no excuse for asking what's that whachyamacallit in the thingymagig. lol.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Ken,
Having had a quick look through the Glossaries A - G I can only find one word I wasn't familar with and that was Tarsometres (tarsal segments) Glossary H may take longer to work through, but the American terminology seems to be identical with that in use in Europe.

Now you know exactly what the terminology is, there is no excuse for asking what's that whachyamacallit in the thingymagig. lol.

Harry
Hi, Wasisname, I'm constantly mixing up the thingamies and the whatsits, but my memory aint what it used to be.
K....??

Elephant Hawk Moth

[Good evening Harry,

I just came aboard due to my garden caterpillar find of a green elephant hawk moth. mY DAUGHTER and I wanted to put the 2 we found under a butterfly bush in a container of sorts but, am afraid due to not knowing enough information about these wonderful moths..can you please give MOther Nature and Nature's daughter some advise.

thank you :hippy:

mother nature said:
[Good evening Harry,

I just came aboard due to my garden caterpillar find of a green elephant hawk moth. mY DAUGHTER and I wanted to put the 2 we found under a butterfly bush in a container of sorts but, am afraid due to not knowing enough information about these wonderful moths..can you please give MOther Nature and Nature's daughter some advise.

Hi Mother Nature (and Mother Natures daughter),

First we need to know thev exact species(any chance of a photo?)

You also need to feed them with the right foodplant as soon as poss(Caterpillars rarely survive more than a day without food)It will more than likely be the plant you found them on.if you dont know this then put a few of the leaves from each of the plants in the area and see which get nibbled.

If your caterpillars were wandering about on the floor then they were probably ready to pupate(the next stage in their lifecycle)if this is the case then follow our advice in http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=39376&page=2&pp=25.

If you have anymore questions it is probably best to pop them on the above thread, as this one is reserved for usefull website addresses.

Please keep us informed of your progress!

Colin.

mother nature said:
[Good evening Harry,

Hello Hippy,

There is a thread on Elephant Hawkmoth here:-

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=39376

This should provide most of the information you may need. There are several Hawkmoth larva that are very similar to Elephant Hawk and it's easy to mistake some other species for them.

Is it possible to post a picture of them here, so your ID can be checked.
Note, they should be no larger than 600 x 600 pixels to upload.

It is important to know their correct identity if you have to feed them, as different species feed on different plants, also different species have different pupating reqirements.

If you have other queries, please come back and ask, we're a friendly bunch in here.

Harry

Thank you so much Harry......i've been out in the garden to check on the catterpillars and i can not tell if they are hybernating or dieing. I dont ever remember seeing such a beautiful catterpillar as these but i do want to learn more. I will try to get a picture of them in hopefully today

I posted this on the compelling soap opera that's Harrys Convolvulus Hawkmoth thread, but think it bears repeating here.

A great supplier of seeds of larval foodplants, including some fairly obscure and hard to get hold of (i.e, not a wildflower with pretty flowers) species:

Herbiseed seed suppliers

Hope that's useful.

Jon

I've pinched this message from the ukmoths yahoogroup. It may be of interest to moth'ers who find sawfly larvae.

ukmoths yahoogroup said:
> If you would like help with identifying sawfly larvae found while hunting
> for Lepidoptera larvae, you might like to join the newly launched Yahoo
> group 'sawfly'.
>
> Most members will be those wanting to learn, but we have some experts
> willing to help, including John Grearson, who is writing an illustrated
> book on sawfly larvae.
>
> Identification of reared adults can be arranged, if the larva has been
> clearly photographed and you will let the picture be used.
> There is great opportunity to add to knowledge of these little known
> larvae.
>
> The adults are included, but we shall try not to duplicate the ground
> covered by ukleafminers, which is working in close cooperation with
> 'sawfly'. Rob Edmunds, list owner of ukleafminers, is moderating sawfly
> with me, and I am most grateful for his help in the venture.
>
> If you know any one else interested in Symphyta, please let them know of
> our existence.
> We are very happy to accept members in Europe - The Nederlands, in
> particular, have a great heritage of study in this group.
>
> To join, send an email to [email protected]
>
> With Best Wishes
> Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back