• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bottoms Up, Swiss Alps (1 Viewer)

SimonG4ELI

United Kingdom
Hah!

Lovely weather today, failed in my attempt to find some ptarmigan and wallcreepers, but found my first tree creeper of the year.

[1] This is a bird which is living close to me, this is the first time I've caught it on camera. It usually clears off to the forest behind my house as soon as the first person is about in the morning. I'm very interested to know what it is. Doesn't make any sound. I've not seen it properly, only thought so far is a thrush - but that's just a thought.

[2] Very common mountain bird, quiz question :)

[3] Tree creeper, was close to home after 7 hours' walking with the hound and without warning was in the middle of a squadron of treecreepers!

[4] There's always a marmot.

Attachments

• 09092006001.JPG
    09092006001.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 09092006003.JPG
    09092006003.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 09092006002.JPG
    09092006002.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 09092006004.JPG
    09092006004.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 153
Sean F said:
Great Pics Simon :t:

I'm not sure about the first bird.

The second is a Wheatear, isn't it?
I'll post the pre-takeoff photo as soon as I find out what bird [1] is - I'm very curious.

i'm totally stumped with no.1! the only thing that comes close with thrush-size and somehow with the image is nutcracker but - wings and tail look too long, white hindbelly seems too extended and tailpa´ttern's wrong too. so, what could it be???

lou salomon said:
i'm totally stumped with no.1! the only thing that comes close with thrush-size and somehow with the image is nutcracker but - wings and tail look too long, white hindbelly seems too extended and tailpa´ttern's wrong too. so, what could it be???
There is a nutcracker about but the flight pattern wasn't correct. It was a very lazy flight, not the more frenetic nutcracker. It's about thrush-sized but ...

You never know, I may get a decent shot tomorrow.

lou salomon said:
should i say then "the only subject that comes close..." ?
Sorry, was referring to bird [2] :)

Would settle for anything regarding bird [1].

FWIW at 1,035 masl, surrounded by pine forest.

lou salomon said:
nutcracker has a lazy flight! just show us the pre-take-off-pic please!
OK - maybe those I have seen have been a bit 'disturbed' by tourists.

As requested:

Attachments

• 09092006005.JPG
    09092006005.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 143
Sean F said:
I think 1 is definitely a Jay.

If you look closely you can just see a hint of pink on the flanks and belly.
There are a few jays just 100m away - that could be !

I actually grabbed a decent shot of one close by some weeks ago. I see then often flying back into the forest.

Attachments

• 10092006001.JPG
    10092006001.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back