• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Potential WP seabird splits (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Callahan 2010. Taxonomy: Seabird splits. Birdwatch 217: 25-27.

In a third article on Western Palearctic splits, David Callahan outlines recent and potential splits of seabird species:

• Pterodroma [mollis] madeira
    [*]Pterodroma [mollis] (feae) feae
    [*]Pterodroma [mollis] (feae) deserta
    [*]Calonectris [diomedea] borealis
    [*]Calonectris [diomedea] edwardsii
    [*]Puffinus [assimilis] baroli
    [*]Puffinus [assimilis] boydi
    [*]Hydrobates (pelagicus) melitensis
    [*]Oceanodroma (castro)
    ssp ('Grant's')
  • Oceanodroma (castro) jabejabe
    [*]Oceanodroma (castro) monteiroi
    [*]Phalacrocorax (carbo) lucidus
    [*]Phalacrocorax (aristotelis) desmarestii
    [*]Larus (michahellis) atlantis
Richard

IOC already recognizes a good chunk of these, doesn't it?

I rather like the taxonomy in flux treatment of Storm Petrels...normally I am a splitter but I really don't want to see every season and island have it's own species of Storm Petrel.

Wait for it Mysticete. Sooner or later storm-petrel splitters will also resplit all of the great albatrosses (already carved up once) to acknowledge that only half the population on a given island breeds during the course of one year. When I was at school that was known as resource-partitioning. Broadly the same principle applied to storm-petrels is now called speciation.

My tongue might be somewhere near my cheek, but not entirely in.

The splitters will tell us that these storm-petrels vocalise differently, but as the existence of dialects is well known in several tubenoses (e.g. Manx Shearwater), where does that leave us?

I rather like the taxonomy in flux treatment of Storm Petrels...normally I am a splitter but I really don't want to see every season and island have it's own species of Storm Petrel.
Morgan, maybe you'll soon be able to give us an opinion on Oceanodroma (castro) 'kumagae'. [Just don't spend too much of your time in Japan on mammals and herps (or fossils...).]

Richard ;)

Last edited:
Don't worry, I am already planning trips to Miyakijima, Ogasawara, Okinawa, Amami and Hokkaido over the course of the summer :p

Although I had enough problems with the nominate Band-rumped last month that I would put too much hope on me sucessfully getting on the Pacific form :p

But, does the paper by Callahan necessarily depend on PSC? If it did, then I overlooked something.

Niels

But, does the paper by Callahan necessarily depend on PSC? If it did, then I overlooked something.

Niels

I didn't say it did. I was responding to birdboys comment re perceived field identification problems from the increasing splits of seabirds with a reference to a general paper about the potential problems of splits (that includes reference to seabirds!)

Last edited:
Most of the Storm petrel splits are actually BSC. In fact, I think the genetic data doesn't really support PSC splits of many gulls petrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back