• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E-PL2, Canon Powershot S95 or iPhone for digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

Super Dave

Hi,

I'm a novice in photography...but just just received a Kowa 883 with the 1.6x extender and want to try out digiscoping.

I have the older Olympus E-PL2 and was already looking to purchase a prime lens. Is the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 is still a good choice for digiscoping?

The other options I have are an iPhone or Canon Powershot S95. Would I be better off starting with one of those?

Thanks,
Dave

Digiscoping

Hi,

I'm a novice in photography...but just just received a Kowa 883 with the 1.6x extender and want to try out digiscoping.

I have the older Olympus E-PL2 and was already looking to purchase a prime lens. Is the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 is still a good choice for digiscoping?

The other options I have are an iPhone or Canon Powershot S95. Would I be better off starting with one of those?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave I've just started with the Kowa same as you. Instead of buying another lens at great expense have a look a t SRB photographic website. They do an adaptor which replaces the lens and fits over the eyepiece. You then use ISO to achieve a good shutter speed to avoid shake. I think I paid about £35 for my Nikon adaptor.
I found the 1.6x extender too powerful for most things. Plus the ISO you would need to get a fast shutter speed to avoid blurring would lead to noise. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back