• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2017 (1 Viewer)

Yeah, but I haven't heard any follow up reports. Could be a one-day wonder (which seems to be the usual case with California wagtails for some reason).

I haven't seen any updates either. Good thing I didn't head out there today. At least I would not have flown through Atlanta.

At least a two-day wonder, as a couple birders got it the next day.
The Deans got the White-cheeked Pintail today.
I got the Illinois Barnacle Goose today (my first ever), but we in the Land of Lincoln need to wait as our state committee has not yet accepted any record for the species. Hey, but it's in the bank!

Joe

As John Weigel has posted, the Recording Standards Committee of the American Birding Association has reached a final decision, and, as it turns out, the Hawaii clock started last November, when the ABA officially added Hawaii to the ABA Area. John, Olaf and Laura are officially in the New ABA game. I'll continue to keep my two sets of sheets: the New ABA, with 750 being the minimum number, and the Continental ABA, where 700 will continue to be the standard. Current Big Years will be included until the year is complete. I'll bet there are people chomping at the bit waiting for January 1, 2018, so that their Big Year can commence!
Updated sheets, with Yve's White-cheeked Pintail, attached.
Joe

Attachments

• NewABABigYears2017.xlsx
    88.2 KB · Views: 43
  • NewABABigYears2017ByCode.xlsx
    570.6 KB · Views: 27
  • ContinentalBigYears2017.xlsx
    107.7 KB · Views: 30
  • ContinentalBigYears2017ByCode.xlsx
    597.3 KB · Views: 17
The Stolls sent their updates. They've added three species in the New ABA:
Garganey
Barnacle Goose
Nazca Booby

So Ruben & Victor are at 811+3.
Yve is at 810+4.
Unofficially (with provisionals), Laura, Ruben, Victor and Yve all have 814!

The Stolls also added Red-footed Booby for the Continental ABA (they had it previously in Hawaii), so here's the Continental scoreboard:
Laura-762
Ruben & Victor-757+3
Yve-754+4

Setting up for a photo finish, I think!

Joe

There is now an official statement about the 2016 Big Year birders on the ABA blog:

http://blog.aba.org/2017/12/2016-big-year-competition.html

Joe

Joe

OK. It is late and Joe Root's dismissal has right royally p#ssed me off but all a bit confusing.

First round voting - 5-1 against Hawaii because communications clear and Hawaii only an issue because of an attempt by Big Year birders to 'game' the Rule Book.

Second round voting - 6-0 for Hawaii because confusion remained and negative feedback so tie goes to the birder.

I can't recall any confusion at the time on whether Hawaii could be included. Indeed the opposite:-

http://blog.aba.org/2016/11/the-aba-adds-hawaii-now-what.html

Edit - Alastair Cook's double century cheered me up!

All the best

Last edited:
Greg Neise asked me to post this for him:

From Greg Neise, Staff Liaison, ABA Recording Standards & Ethics Committee:

At the time of the original vote, the committee felt that it was clear—from our point of view—that big year birders in 2016 would not include Hawaii. Our main reason for this was with the 2016 big year birders in mind. We thought that the last thing they would want is for Hawaii to be "thrown in" midstream. This decision was made by us in September, after they were already ¾ of the way through their efforts.

After the first round of voting, however, we heard from the birders, and they explained how it was from their point of view at the time … which, needless to say, was quite different from ours.

With this new information, the committee held another round of voting--and in following RSEC’s general philosophy: decisions that involve the well-being of the bird, tie goes to the bird; decisions that involve a listing rule, tie goes to the birder—which reached a unanimous decision to allow Hawaii additions to be counted as provisionals for 2016.

Ruben & Victor got the Skua, too. They're also headed to Florida. All three already have Pink-footed Goose.

New ABA:
Laura - 814
Yve - 812+4
Ruben & Victor - 812+3

Continental ABA:
Laura - 762
Ruben & Victor - 758+3
Yve - 756+4

Victor, Ruben , and Yve all got the Loggerhead Kingbird. Nothing left to chase in the next 35 hours?

Edit: Blue Bunting In Texas!

Last edited:
Victor Stoll found it and got everyone else (including Yve, the Deans and John Vanderpoel) on the bird!
Blue Bunting won't help the Stolls, who already have it.

As of today:

New ABA
Laura - 814
Yve - 813+4
Ruben & Victor - 813+3
Gaylee - 745+2
Richard - 743+2

Continental ABA
Laura - 762
Ruben & Victor - 759+3
Yve - 757+4
Gaylee - 745+2
Richard - 743+2

Joe

Last edited:
It will be interesting to learn whether the Blue Bunting can even be searched for today, as Quinta Mazatlan is normally closed on Sundays and Mondays.

EDIT: I think the year has come to an end. Yves writes, "It’s only fitting that Ruben Stoll, Victor and I got our last 2 birds together," referring to the Great Skua and Loggerhead Kingbird.

Last edited:
She certainly gave it a shot! No luck, though. The numbers above should be final until the provisionals are accepted (or not). Yve Morrell is the winner of the 2017 ABA Big Year competition, and Ruben & Victor Stoll take home the trophy for the 2017 Continental ABA category (there's a trophy?). Gaylee and Richard Dean made it an unprecedented year, with five birders topping 700 for the first time (Continental version), not to mention the fact that they all topped 740!

Somewhere, this very morning, there are birders taking aim at both records. Whether continental ABA Big Years remain relevant remains to be seen, but one thing's for certain: we'll be watching!

Joe Lill
Chicago, IL

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back