• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron MM4 60ED or Kowa -602? (1 Viewer)

pw74

hi there

I have an old swaro tirol drawscope…

I prefer straight body but fancy either
opticron mm4 60ed

or I see kowa 602

which is better for my money ?

or other recommendations in that bracket with straight body

thank you

Paul

I have the Opticon MM4/60. I mostly use it with the out-of-production 32x wide eyepiece. I also the the SDLv2 for more reach or if I want the zoom. It is very light and compact, which were two of my big check boxes, along with a reasonable price. I'm happy with it. I mostly do photography, so the scope is secondary for me.

I use the angled MM4. It can rotate around the tripod mount, so in a car I can turn it sideways and it mostly works fine, though I do not use it this way much.

I have not used the Kowa 602. I think the MM4 is a tiny bit more compact based on the specs. They are about the same weight.

Based on someone else who recently went through the purchase and comparison process, he much preferred the TSN-660 to the MM4 in terms of the view and other features. He ended up getting the TSN-663. Again, I've not used that.

Marc

The MM4 ED got excellent reviews .The 602 uses standard glass ,so I dont think is going to be in competition with a good unit of the ED MM4.The MM4 should be better controlling Chromatic aberration and probably even brighter.You can fit the Baader hyperion MkIV zoom to the MM4 for a little bit more of reach and a wide wide for that matter.That should be a quite excellent combo for a reasonable price.

Hello Paul, you can read alot in my describing in the german forum Jülich, Bonn. There are also links to the decision of the tripod and other issues. My Diascope 85 is my azimut.

Hallo mayoayo - the Baader Mk IV can be used in the MM4 with pure disconnecting the black 1,25"-barrel? I think of changing this way because the apparent field of the v2 in the lower mags is very tall, but the sharpness is therefore excellent from 15-45x. Is the Hyperion (near) homofocal in all focal lengths?

Greeitngs from the Opticron-fanboy
Manfred

Hello...The Baader zoom has to be disconnected of the barrel ,yes,and then a small step down ring needs to be fitted,Baader provides those rings if needed,not sure of the price.The eyepiece is not parfocal at high and low magnifications,but in between settings will come to focus really close...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back