• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

please help with a newborn bird of unknown species!! (1 Viewer)

alyona

Dear all,

My daughter has just brought in a little newborn birdie and we are at a loss, what to do with it. She put it under her desk lamp to keep it warm and tried to feed it with a bit of milk (probably a mistake!:) and crushed worms..The creature seemed to have swallowed some worms and a bit of milk and water, too...Frankly, i don´t think the little one will survive for long, it´s soo tiny and featherless! and besides, neither of us can tell which bird it is, to have an idea what to feed it with. It´s a Saturday night, so a vet is unlikely to be found until Monday. What to do???

We would appreciate any help on the matter but please don´t be too technical, I have looked thru some of the similar threads and the names of the products seem very unfamiliar (we are in Germany!:)

Thanks a lot!!!!

Al and Lisa

Gutenabend,

ich habe keine ahnung was kann hilfen.
Hast du ein nest gefunden bei dem platz wo der fugel gefunden ist?

Hmm lets continue in english to avoid double answers...

I think when it's a nestfaller, there's not much you can do. Those birds need a lot of care especially on feeding. i think it's just the way of nature. But that's just my opininon! I hope some other people have any ideas...

Tschuß, Erik

You could get your Daughter to put it back where she found it , some times the youngster will react to calls of the parent species and even though its not in the nest it may still get fed, how young is it??? If you are going to try feeding it try some food like complan (the kind if high protein food they give to pensioners) use the end of a matchstick , dont worry about giving it a big drink at that age (assuming its a couple of days old) it should get its liquid requirements from its food. My first option would be to try and put it back , if its raining then go for feeding it as the cold out in the rain will probaly kill it. Good luck you will need it I have tried many times in the past and they usually just die , you cant do for them what their parents can. GOOD LUCK , Swift

Definitely NOT milk!! - that is a mammal product, and baby birds cannot digest it. Also nothing with milk or milk products in it. Also NO salt.

Chopped worms are very suitable for almost all nestlings.

Oh, and remember the first feed of the morning, 04.00h . . and every 10 minutes thereafter!

Best of all if you can find the nest it fell out of and put it back, but this can be very difficult of course.

Michael

Hi, all

I´m the daughter.
Thanks for the amswers! That´ll help me.
I´m not stupid - I know that if there was a nest or a tree nearby, I should have left it lying there. Problem is - there was no tree or a bush . It was lying in the middle of the road . I just couldn´t leave it.
It´s now still alive, sleeping under my lamp. It´s very newborn...
Thanks
Write again...
Lisa

Hi Alyona, strange that today the very same thing happend with me! I was at work and found a featherless House Sparrow nestling on the path. I know this as there is a dense evergreen hedge next to the path with several H. Sparrow nests in it. I could not find the nest though to put it back so I unfortunately had to leave it under the hedge. I don't hold out much hope for it, but that is nature. Sorry nothing more positive.

Hi all

I´m the daughter again
I´m very sorry for being rude yesterday- Mom was too negativ about the bird´s surviving- I just couldn´t cheer her up.
Had a very sleepless night - the bird´s alive!!! On Monday I´ll bring him to the vet, so it´s only 24 hours to go.

Love,
Lisa

Well done! - the first night is always the most difficult.

Keep up the bits of fresh chopped worm every 10 minutes! And remove its droppings as soon as it does them (usually just after a feed) to keep its 'nest' clean

Another idea - put a thermometer beside it, and keep the heat lamp ajusted so the thermometer reads about 30 to 35°C.

Michael

That is awful, I feel sad now. I was following this thread hoping it would make it. Credit to you for trying!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back