• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

House Sparrow?? Enfield CT Update (1 Viewer)

Lagopuss

Truth Seeker
Howdy! Its not the same bird from my last post. Still pretty young but Im thinking its an invasive house sparrow.

Attachments

• 011B71D2-BC63-4687-932E-5BAB3107310C.jpg
    011B71D2-BC63-4687-932E-5BAB3107310C.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 59
Howdy! Its not the same bird from my last post. Still pretty young but Im thinking its an invasive house sparrow.

In any case, wouldn't worry about the "invasive" part. House Sparrows have been part of the North American avifauna for over a hundred years. They're attractive little birds superbly adapted to human habitations and are here to stay.

Last edited:
In any case, wouldn't worry about the "invasive" part. House Sparrows have been part of the North American avifauna for over a hundred years. They're attractive little birds superbly adapted to human habitations and are here to stay.

I read that they invade native birds nests, kill all the chicks even if theyre unborn in the egg. They do that regardless if they need to use the nests themselves. Is that accurate?

I read that they invade native birds nests, kill all the chicks even if theyre unborn in the egg. They do that regardless if they need to use the nests themselves. Is that accurate?

No, it isn’t. The main complaint about them is that they take over bluebird birdhouses for their own use, destroying eggs and nestlings (if present) in the process. In other words, they’re not vandals sowing destruction for its own sake but simply fierce competitors for nest sites around human habitations. Away from human habitations (and city parks and other such places) they’re seldom found so pose no threat to native species.

House Wrens are notorious for similar behavior but because they’re natives much less fuss is made about them.

Looks like a Brown-headed Cowbird.

Interesting thank you! I havent heard of those guys before but Ive definitely seen the adults in the area. And funny enough, after a little google search theyre native. But actually operate in a similar way that house sparrows do. They even invade house sparrow nests lol.

Is this something lots of birds do??

Is it only more harmful because of the increse in human development?Structures, Garbage, encroaching on the natural land etc??

We’re just making the natural bad habits in some species, impact more “docile” birds im feeling like we’re to blame.

Thank You So Much!!

No, it isn’t. The main complaint about them is that they take over bluebird birdhouses for their own use, destroying eggs and nestlings (if present) in the process. In other words, they’re not vandals sowing destruction for its own sake but simply fierce competitors for nest sites around human habitations. Away from human habitations (and city parks and other such places) they’re seldom found so pose no threat to native species.

House Wrens are notorious for similar behavior but because they’re natives much less fuss is made about them.

You kinda psychically answered my orher questions before I even asked it!! <3

Interesting thank you! I havent heard of those guys before but Ive definitely seen the adults in the area. And funny enough, after a little google search theyre native. But actually operate in a similar way that house sparrows do. They even invade house sparrow nests lol.

Is this something lots of birds do??

Is it only more harmful because of the increse in human development?Structures, Garbage, encroaching on the natural land etc??

We’re just making the natural bad habits in some species, impact more “docile” birds im feeling like we’re to blame.

Lots of birds compete for nests, evicting any other birds they find (if they can).

Brown-headed cowbirds are different. They don't kick out nesting birds, they (actually just the female, you'll see why) sneak into the nest and lay one of their eggs right on top of the eggs that are already there. When it hatches, the cowbird chick will be fed by its unwitting foster parents. (It will also evict their eggs or chicks, to eliminate competition.)
You'll often see a tiny adult finch or sparrow feeding a much larger baby cowbird. (The cowbird will keep following the adult around, begging for food, for several days after it leaves the nest.)

Example: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Image:Brown-headedCowbirdDSCN9172.jpg

Lots of birds compete for nests, evicting any other birds they find (if they can).

Brown-headed cowbirds are different. They don't kick out nesting birds, they (actually just the female, you'll see why) sneak into the nest and lay one of their eggs right on top of the eggs that are already there. When it hatches, the cowbird chick will be fed by its unwitting foster parents. (It will also evict their eggs or chicks, to eliminate competition.)
You'll often see a tiny adult finch or sparrow feeding a much larger baby cowbird. (The cowbird will keep following the adult around, begging for food, for several days after it leaves the nest.)

Example: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Image:Brown-headedCowbirdDSCN9172.jpg

Thank you!!

That is so interesting and useful to know!! I am basically a complete novice. Peregrine falcons are my favorite animal. But other than a few other raptors and extinct birds like the Haast Eagle o:) my knowledge is minimal at best. Which is why I’m here. <3

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back