• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AGW and rising sea levels (1 Viewer)

First you said that you are absolutely certain you don't understand the same thing as Chosun with regard to quantum mechanics, — which is a claim assumed to be true without evidence.

Then you said that "[my] understanding of the phrase "begs the question" differs most profoundly from [yours]," — which is another claim assumed to be true without evidence.

Who knows what your "understanding" is unless you answer the question: What do you understand?

These endless word games are boring, Fugl. Based on the evidence my understanding is that they are intended to aggravate.

Yes, very very boring and on your part increasingly incoherent. All that goofy logic-chopping, sheesh! C'mon, so you misused "begging the question"; nothing to be ashamed of, many people do so nowadays in everyday speech, so why not just forget it and move on? You really need to lighten up, you know,and stop trying to "win" every trifling little exchange. Well, whatever, I've definitely had it with this one, so farewell. The last word is yours if you care to take it.

Last edited:
Wow guys a lot to respond to - let me mull this over and get back to you!
Shame about the spats by the way, can we continue without the little digs and barbs please?

J

Yes, very very boring and on your part increasingly incoherent. All that goofy logic-chopping, sheesh! C'mon, so you misused "begging the question"; nothing to be ashamed of, many people do so nowadays in everyday speech, so why not just forget it and move on? You really need to lighten up, you know,and stop trying to "win" every trifling little exchange. Well, whatever, I've definitely had it with this one, so farewell. The last word is yours if you care to take it.

I try to avoid being wrong, but do appreciate being corrected. In this case I may well have slipped into "everyday speech" as you put it, and will take note, but if it is everyday speech you should also have known what I was saying. Pedantry aside, in a discussion it's the thoughts that matter.

Yeah, delete 'begging the question' and insert 'raises the question.' I'm cool with that.

Anyway, I had deleted the last sentence of my post, but once again not quickly enough.

Ed

Last edited:
I try to avoid being wrong, but do appreciate being corrected. In this case I may well have slipped into "everyday speech" as you put it, and will take note, but if it is everyday speech you should also have known what I was saying. Pedantry aside, in a discussion it's the thoughts that matter.

Yeah, delete 'begging the question' and insert 'raises the question.' I'm cool with that.

Anyway, I had deleted the last sentence of my post, but once again not quickly enough.

Fair enough, faults on both sides. Peace.

I'm not sure if that's directed to me or to Chosun but I'll answer it anyway. My understanding of "quantum mechanics" is the common one: the scientific study of how things work in the physical universe at the subatomic level. My guess is that Chosun is using the term very differently, in a vague new agey sense comparable to that in which she's just admitted she uses "metaphysics". Nothing wrong with this, of course (though not my cup of tea), and I'm sure she'll correct me if I've misrepresented her views.

But I'm certain of one thing and that's that your understanding of the phrase "begs the question" differs most profoundly from mine. . .. ;)
I assure you that I am referring to Metaphysics, and Quantum Mechanics in the strictly defined sense, and indeed that we are talking about the same topics, though perhaps our understanding is at different levels (by definition with these topics being broad, open ended, and with infinite possibilities)

There is nothing "vague", or "new agey" (not that in pure essence there is anything wrong with that) about it. We are on the cusp of discovering a nexus between spiritual metaphysics and quantum mechanics within the parameters of the scientific method. Even though that will be a subset of the true nature of reality, it will be enough to silence the naysayers and usher in a more enlightened evolutionary phase .... :cat:

Until such time seekers and questers of the grail will have to forge a path in the time honoured way of the wisdom traditions .... not for the faint hearted for sure - but possible. o:D

Unless one is part of a Tibetan Buddhism lineage, then probably the initiate best start along the lines of the Eastern Mystic traditions of Taoism, Buddhist Metaphysics, Zen Buddhism, or try and track down a Sufi (if the Islamic Fundamentalists haven't despatched them all). Allow at least as long a timeframe ranging from the snap of the fingers to a lifetime (or several), depending on the propensity of the student. Plenty of traps for young players on the way, and unless overly fond of chaos I'd steer clear of 'Gurus', occult and the like. Similarly Kundalini Yoga and the Entheogenics may be too much of a disruptive hurry up, and/or addictive .... The lure of the Claridad is strong .....

All of this is just a start, the student will find themselves down the road less travelled, off on a gravel track, then forging a path up a mountain ... When they get to the top, then the journey really starts - look for an Eagle soaring way up beyond the limits of ordinary sight. If the student has learnt well from Shamanism, and is ready, they can become the Eagle .... pay attention to it's gaze skyward, for there, is an esoteric realm, beyond the confines of accredited education, beyond books, beyond peer review, beyond teachers, and where a Doctoral Degree is viewed no more impressively than a toddler shaking a rattle. Therein, is the answer, the grail, excalibur ..... though don't expect to be able to prove it ;)

Chosun :gh:

I assure you that I am referring to Metaphysics, and Quantum Mechanics in the strictly defined sense, and indeed that we are talking about the same topics, though perhaps our understanding is at different levels (by definition with these topics being broad, open ended, and with infinite possibilities)

There is nothing "vague", or "new agey" (not that in pure essence there is anything wrong with that) about it. We are on the cusp of discovering a nexus between spiritual metaphysics and quantum mechanics within the parameters of the scientific method. Even though that will be a subset of the true nature of reality, it will be enough to silence the naysayers and usher in a more enlightened evolutionary phase .... :cat:

Until such time seekers and questers of the grail will have to forge a path in the time honoured way of the wisdom traditions .... not for the faint hearted for sure - but possible. o:D

Unless one is part of a Tibetan Buddhism lineage, then probably the initiate best start along the lines of the Eastern Mystic traditions of Taoism, Buddhist Metaphysics, Zen Buddhism, or try and track down a Sufi (if the Islamic Fundamentalists haven't despatched them all). Allow at least as long a timeframe ranging from the snap of the fingers to a lifetime (or several), depending on the propensity of the student. Plenty of traps for young players on the way, and unless overly fond of chaos I'd steer clear of 'Gurus', occult and the like. Similarly Kundalini Yoga and the Entheogenics may be too much of a disruptive hurry up, and/or addictive .... The lure of the Claridad is strong .....

All of this is just a start, the student will find themselves down the road less travelled, off on a gravel track, then forging a path up a mountain ... When they get to the top, then the journey really starts - look for an Eagle soaring way up beyond the limits of ordinary sight. If the student has learnt well from Shamanism, and is ready, they can become the Eagle .... pay attention to it's gaze skyward, for there, is an esoteric realm, beyond the confines of accredited education, beyond books, beyond peer review, beyond teachers, and where a Doctoral Degree is viewed no more impressively than a toddler shaking a rattle. Therein, is the answer, the grail, excalibur ..... though don't expect to be able to prove it ;)

Wow, the whole New Age shebang, from soup to nuts, impressive in its eclecticism if in nothing else. Have you actually studied any of the various esoteric traditions you mention, by the way, or is what you've written just gleanings from the internet or from some pop book on "metaphysics"?

Last edited:
California's tighter emissions regulations (for decades now) are the only thing that has kept America's Automotive industry (albeit dragged kicking and screaming) even vaguely in the same ballpark as the Europeans, and a catalyst for such visionaries as Elon Musk's Tesla. I am finding DJT's lack of business vision to be most disappointing ... he'd be a great guy for anyone looking to revive a horse and buggy concern ....

California's tighter emissions regulations (for decades now) are the only thing that has kept America's Automotive industry (albeit dragged kicking and screaming) even vaguely in the same ballpark as the Europeans. . ..

In the "same ballpark" as Volkswagen, that giant of the European automotive industry? A modest achievement indeed!

Last edited:
California's tighter emissions regulations (for decades now) are the only thing that has kept America's Automotive industry (albeit dragged kicking and screaming) even vaguely in the same ballpark as the Europeans, and a catalyst for such visionaries as Elon Musk's Tesla. I am finding DJT's lack of business vision to be most disappointing ... he'd be a great guy for anyone looking to revive a horse and buggy concern ....

You don't need much business sense when you inherit your wealth and make most of your money from selling rights to your name...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back