• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats this a Pencil (1 Viewer)

Having very little time or motivation due one thing or enother for any art practice, I hadnt visited BFs Art thread and looks like Id missed some crackers. I finaly threw some paint around.

Hi Bigshent

What a gorgeous array of pencil sketches, and paintings your have produced on this thread

Well done for your thoughts with pen and paper, and yes you are very artistic anyday! :-O

Regards
Kathy
x

Threw some paint around in a very nice way. Not seen a spotfly for a couple of years now!

Mike

Very nicely done. And I know this will sound like a backhanded compliment but it's not meant to be: the bird house is nicely done. I only say this because I think it's far more difficult than you would think to put so much geometry in a painting and have it not look exceedingly stiff. I say this from personal experience. This looks quite natural and fits perfectly with bird.

I have been using cheapo paper, on the the advice of a beginners art forum I splashed out and bought some better quality 10£ for 10 sheets :eek!: i was surprised how well better paper takes the paint.

Attachments

• hummmer 001 (600 x 399).jpg
    hummmer 001 (600 x 399).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 66
  • kezzzzzzzz 004 (450 x 600).jpg
    kezzzzzzzz 004 (450 x 600).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 73
  • waggy 002 (600 x 447).jpg
    waggy 002 (600 x 447).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 71
Very much like these last three watercolours.

Have to agree. I think you have a real affinity for watercolor. Keep at it! Though I love watercolor myself it took me forever to get somewhat comfortable with it. So I'm always envious when I see people to whom it seems to be so natural right from the start.;)

Its been tricky of late to get the paints out with one thing or another and things didnt go to plan when they did but could of been worse Ilearnt a few things in the process;)

Attachments

• ooooops 009 (600 x 450).jpg
    ooooops 009 (600 x 450).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 75
  • watch out mouse 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    watch out mouse 001 (600 x 450).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 59
  • mallard & lapwing 033 (600 x 450).jpg
    mallard & lapwing 033 (600 x 450).jpg
    52 KB · Views: 64
Very nice indeed - there's some beautiful subtle watercolour work on the scapulars of the heron - very classy! Love the overall style and comp of the barn owl pic - really good. Smart work.

Very impressive watercolours...you obviously put lots of thought into the surroundings as well as the birds (which is something I need to work on!) and it all adds up to great images...keep them coming!

Very nice indeed - there's some beautiful subtle watercolour work on the scapulars of the heron - very classy! Love the overall style and comp of the barn owl pic - really good. Smart work.

Yeah, that Heron is really very good! Cracking Kestrel and Grey Wag, too. If I could go at it knowing my efforts would be this good in such a short time, then I would - no probs!

Russ

I had lost any motivation recently for paint practice although I have had a couple of unsuccessful attempts at field sketches since my last post. Anyway I bit the bullet and persevered this eve with the wet stuff.

Attachments

• pied 024 (450 x 600).jpg
    pied 024 (450 x 600).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 71
quite right to persevere too, very nice. I see quite a few pieds in the autumn here, but a nice spring male is sorely missed.

Very handsome flycatcher, this! Motivation sure comes and goes - lets hope you find yours, it's always nice to see your work.

Have to agree with Oivind. I do think you're a natural with watercolor. Keep at it. And of course look for inspiration in the great examples that can be found in the threads around here!

Yep - it's a lovely piece. And I know what it's like getting motivated - in your case it's just a shame, 'cos if you worked at these solidly for a few weeks, you'd have a terrific portfolio. Keep on keeping on - this is a smasher.

Many thanks your a good bunch. Blady van off the road ment battle could comence with the paints :-O The young swan posed a problem as they were just balls of fluff and no feather detail so I wasnt sure how to tackle it. In the decided tackle it very fast :-O

Attachments

• babies 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    babies 003 (600 x 450).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 48
  • catcher of flies.jpg
    catcher of flies.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I had another go at a Bluethroat & tried be a Little looser than my first attempt and Meadow Pip in Pencil as it something I hadnt tried since the beginning of this thread.

Attachments

• scan0002 (433 x 600).jpg
    scan0002 (433 x 600).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 52
  • scan0003 (436 x 600).jpg
    scan0003 (436 x 600).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back