• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best 7x35 porros? (1 Viewer)

Are you sure it needs to be 7x? A few 8x32s will give wide field. But I think the GLASSES issue is your priority, for those that want to add their suggestion.

Last edited:
yes, good ER is top priority. I guess the FOV can be 400 ft. or a little lower. im pretty sure i want 7x. either that or another light 8x30. those Customs looked just peachy.

Last edited:
Throw another vote in for the 7x35 Nikon E series. I managed to get one back in my hands a few months ago and use it quite regularly as my backyard feeder binocular. Field of view is a bit narrow for a 7x at 383 feet but for the application I primarily use them for it isn't a major concern. Apparent sharpness, brightness and depth of field are very good to excellent. Build quality is top notch as well.

A distant second would go to the 7x35 Action Extreme. I have that pair, temporarily loaned to a friend, and enjoy using them as well. Their wider field of view is immediately noticeable but then so is the higher level of image out of focus along the edges of the field of view. They are quite bright but not as sharp as the 7x35 E series. They are also a bit bulkier and noticeably heavier. For the price though they are a very good buy.

Hope this helps.

Orion sells an introductory star gazing kit (#24685) for $49.95 that includes, among other items, their 7 x 35 WA EXPLORER binocular with a 9.2 degree FOV! That's 483' more or less. It's fully coated, has Bak7 prisms and 15.4mm ER. You also get with it "Starry Night" CD astronomy soft ware, a year round rotating cardboard star map and a small red light LED flashlight. I got the package recently and I can tell you that the binocular I got with it is remarkably good. It is rubber armored and smooth operating and in perfect collimation. It has some CA, light falloff, and pincushion distortion but all in all it is a pretty good binocular. I just compared it quickly, on this gloomy, overcast, snow covered morning, with my Leica 7 x 42 BN Trinovids. The Leica's are, as expected, sharper and brighter with much better contrast, but the Orion is surprisingly good for it's price. It can certainly be used for birding! And if you damage it you still have the Astronomy CD!

Orion Catalog #071 Spring 2007. Page 84. www.OrionTelescopes.com.

Good Birding and Clear Skies!

Bob

PS: I forgot, they have a Tripod Mount at the end of the hinge also.

Last edited:
While the Orions may be OK, somehow I do not think they will better than 7x35 Actions. But for the price, it may be pretty good.

See thread #9 above regarding the Orion 7 x 35 porros.

There have a couple of oddities:
The prism housings are very large. Larger than the housings on the Nikon 8 x 30 EII, which are outsized.
The objective lens's are recessed about 1 inch into their barrels. The recesses are properly blackened. Perhaps they are meant to be dew guards?
The binocular is very solidly constructed, similar to the Leupold 6 x 32 Yosemite porros.

Bob

Hands down the best 7x35 binocular is the Tento ( made in USSR circa 1980's) by optical manufacturer Komz. Razor sharp wide fov approximately 8.1, if this old porro had a close focus of 2 metres and was waterproof it would be the perfect binocular! I picked a pair up on eBay for erm £23...

Hands down the best 7x35 binocular is the Tento ( made in USSR circa 1980's) by optical manufacturer Komz. Razor sharp wide fov approximately 8.1, if this old porro had a close focus of 2 metres and was waterproof it would be the perfect binocular! I picked a pair up on eBay for erm £23...

Mmmmm, and what about the yellowish tint?

Jan

I have got use to that slight yellow cast Jan, i never get any eye strain using the Tento's and they are built like a tank, solid as the kremlin itself..!

If the brandnew Trinovid 7x35 is as good as the historic one, but with better glass and modern coatings, this will be a very interesting instrument.

Canip

edit: I own the historic one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back