• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

have a look at this heron Uk plz (1 Viewer)

I only got flight views of this bird yesterday and I assume that the picture must have been taken ten minutes after I left. I hope people aren't giving up on this one. I, for one, would love to see some more pictures.

Would love to see more photos of this bird (and wouldn't feel my time wasted going to see it at all, Karpman)

I'm not convinced the bill is significantly larger than in Grey Heron - I think it is at least in large part an illusion caused by it being uniformly bright in colour. Compare side by side with normal Grey Heron pictures to see what I mean.

Graham

Yeah,
Think the wetness around the head do'es nothing for the bird provoked a lot of interest for sure.

I made the picture available A.s.a.p the bird looked remarkably good in flight and was very very elusive the photo was from the one and only time it came out into the open it perched on a post of all things lol.

Karpman

The bill looks bigger because of missing feathers around the base, and the feathers on the forehead are flattened or stuck down, maybe wet. I've messed around with one of the images in ms paint, it's a poor job, but I think it makes the point.

Yes. I have waay too much time on my hands.

Twite.

Attachments

• odd heron 1.jpg
    odd heron 1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 264
Little miffed as to why there has been little feedback from the people who seen the bird at the site.

Have also heard on the grapevine since there was a very dark heron at the site last year but this is not thought to be the bird, I also don't by into soiled it was to uniform and the bill to clean and a bright orange which this picture do'es not display, I would be interested to see any other shots out there.

My conclusions are this is a very strange "grey" Heron indeed and hope it turns up some were else, But this bird was very elusive at all times.

Karpman

Little miffed as to why there has been little feedback from the people who seen the bird at the site.

Karpman

Two possible reasons - maybe not many of them look at BF, and maybe they, like me, got such poor views that they can't offer much.
There has been a bit of email discussion and I have forwarded you some messages and photos.

Steve

Two possible reasons - maybe not many of them look at BF, and maybe they, like me, got such poor views that they can't offer much.
There has been a bit of email discussion and I have forwarded you some messages and photos.

Steve

Thanks Steve, Very much appreciated being a fairly new birder this bird has been a real pain.

Freed up some space revived email with thanks.
Have a good holiday:t:
Kindest of regards

Karpman

The posture is that of a grey heron and the colouring closest to a 1st year juvenile, although obviously still far too dark. The legs seem a bit darker than normal and (to me at least) rather short. Has anymore been seen of this bird over the past month? The records described here suggest an elusive bird who likes to hide. The note about the bird pointing its bill upwars also indicates a wary animal: this is typical bittern behaviour, trying to disappear in the reeds.

The notes about a (different) dark heron in the area last year suggest this bird could be its offspring. If so, a hybrid is possible, as an abnormal animal may not do well in competing for mates and so plausibly has a higher chance of hybridizing. Bittern comes to mind. There is a story about an imported group of dark-morph reed egrets being released n Germany a long time ago, and this could play a role in dark hybrids.

The posture is that of a grey heron and the colouring closest to a 1st year juvenile, although obviously still far too dark. The legs seem a bit darker than normal and (to me at least) rather short. Has anymore been seen of this bird over the past month? The records described here suggest an elusive bird who likes to hide. The note about the bird pointing its bill upwars also indicates a wary animal: this is typical bittern behaviour, trying to disappear in the reeds.

The notes about a (different) dark heron in the area last year suggest this bird could be its offspring. If so, a hybrid is possible, as an abnormal animal may not do well in competing for mates and so plausibly has a higher chance of hybridizing. Bittern comes to mind. There is a story about an imported group of dark-morph reed egrets being released n Germany a long time ago, and this could play a role in dark hybrids.

Hi thanks for you reply!

This bird still seems to have some people torn, It hung around for a couple of weeks think it is maybe gone now. There are some photos and video of the bird out there but seems it will forever just be labeled a Ganky grey heron.

To me the bird is was and still is plain bizarre, I have seen the "good" photos and the video, Would love to nail this for sure but hey not going to lose anymore sleep over it!:-O

Karpman

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back