• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish Pyrennes (1 Viewer)

Anyone thinking of visiting the Pyrennes would be well advised to consider staying at Boletas Birdwatching Centre near Huesca,
http://www.boletas.org
Comfortable accommodation, great food (and wine), friendly and knowledgeable hosts,

I have just returned from there, the highlights of the week were:
11 Lammergeier, 3 Wallcreeper, 28 Snowfinch, plus Alpine accentor, Alpine chough and Crested tit in the mountains.
Hundreds of Griffon vulture, Chough, Red and Black kite everywhere, Golden Eagle seen nearly every day, 2 Bonelli's Eagle, Eagle Owl and Goshawk.
A lack of summer migrants due to the cold weather, but migrant thrushes everywhere, one small field containing all 6 species.
Good flocks of Great Bustard, Little Bustard, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Black-bellied Sandgrouse and Callandra lark on the steppes, plus Dupont's lark.
But best of all, thousands and thousands of Cranes roosting and then migrating over the mountains - what a fantastic sight!
I hope to post some photos later but the cold and windy conditions were not favourable for digiscoping!

7 lifers in there for me. Sounds an incredible place. I can see I will have to save a few penny's if I am to try it out.

I have yet to do the Pyrennes and a trip to there is high on my agenda. You have wetted my appetite even more.

Thanks for the link Nick,were the birds 'self found'(with local advice) or on organised trips? I am embarassed to admit spending a week in the area searching for Wallcreeper and missing out so must make a return visit sometime.

Hi Nick, Can only endorse your sentiments re: Boletas. Was there this time last year and it was brilliant, Josele , the owner, really knows the area and it's birds ( we only dipped on Gt Bustard, a fast declining species for that area ). The food was excellent, and the local wine went down a treat.

nick scarle said:
Anyone thinking of visiting the Pyrennes would be well advised to consider staying at Boletas Birdwatching Centre near Huesca,
http://www.boletas.org
Comfortable accommodation, great food (and wine), friendly and knowledgeable hosts,

I have just returned from there, the highlights of the week were:
11 Lammergeier, 3 Wallcreeper, 28 Snowfinch, plus Alpine accentor, Alpine chough and Crested tit in the mountains.
Hundreds of Griffon vulture, Chough, Red and Black kite everywhere, Golden Eagle seen nearly every day, 2 Bonelli's Eagle, Eagle Owl and Goshawk.
A lack of summer migrants due to the cold weather, but migrant thrushes everywhere, one small field containing all 6 species.
Good flocks of Great Bustard, Little Bustard, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Black-bellied Sandgrouse and Callandra lark on the steppes, plus Dupont's lark.
But best of all, thousands and thousands of Cranes roosting and then migrating over the mountains - what a fantastic sight!
I hope to post some photos later but the cold and windy conditions were not favourable for digiscoping!

I too can endorse Nick's comments. My wife and I stayed with Esther and Josele last June. Marvellous food, accommodation and company. Nothing was too much trouble for Esther and Josele. Josele not only knew the best bird areas but also those for Alpine plants- my wife's speciality. I shall be birding with Josele in Extremadura in four weeks time. Can't recommend Boletas too highly.

Roy Ledgerton

nick scarle said:
Anyone thinking of visiting the Pyrennes would be well advised to consider staying at Boletas Birdwatching Centre near Huesca.

Sounds wonderful Where is the nearest "cheap flight airport?" I am having a bit of trouble with that link though!!

Keith

Last edited:
To answer a couple of points ... I was on an organised trip, mainly because I hadn't been to the area before, but having now seen the area I think you could do an independent trip (with local advice), but you may miss some of the Steppes specialities as they can be difficult to locate.

I flew to Barcelona (many cheap flights from various UK airports). It's about 2 1/2 hours drive to Boletas. The nearest airport is Zaragoza; Ryanair fly there from Stansted I think.

Nick

We went on an independent trip last June. With Josele's helpful advice and doing some research before leaving we had no problems. I am going on Josele's organised trip to Extremadura in four weeks time.

Roy Ledgerton

PS: Should have said that we had not been to this part of Spain before. To get to Boletas we used the motorways which were relatively quiet compared to ours. Josele says this is because they are tolled!

Last edited:
Nutcracker said:
What's the options on doing it by bus/train?

I know of people who've gone to the Pyrenees (not sure which part) by train, but don't have any details.

Ferry from Portsmouth-Bilbao is pleasant and good for birds and cetaceans at the right times of year.

James

I may not be too objective since Josele is a good friend... He is an excellent birding guide not only for the Pyrenees and Eastern steppes, but also for Morocco. Last December 4 of us went on a scouting trip to Southern Morocco to explore some locations for his organized trips. You can see report and photos at my website: www.iyufera.com

regards from Madrid,

Ignacio
www.iyufera.com

Ignacio Yufera said:
I may not be too objective since Josele is a good friend... He is an excellent birding guide not only for the Pyrenees and Eastern steppes, but also for Morocco. Last December 4 of us went on a scouting trip to Southern Morocco to explore some locations for his organized trips. You can see report and photos at my website: www.iyufera.com

regards from Madrid,

Ignacio
www.iyufera.com
I have just come back from staying at Boletas 20th March had an excellent 4 days birding.The Pyrenees area we went to many of the passes were closed.Some of the highlights were Duponts Larks Wallcreepers Lammergiers Black Woodpecker lesser Kestrels,just to name a few.I beleive now you can fly into Zarragossa,which is a lot easier than driving from Barcelona.At Le Lobreget we had a very rare bird for Spain I beleive Marsh Sandpiper,this rounded off the trip nicely.

POP

Attachments

• AA12.jpg
    AA12.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 120
POP said:
I have just come back from staying at Boletas 20th March had an excellent 4 days birding.The Pyrenees area we went to many of the passes were closed.Some of the highlights were Duponts Larks Wallcreepers Lammergiers Black Woodpecker lesser Kestrels,just to name a few.I beleive now you can fly into Zarragossa,which is a lot easier than driving from Barcelona.At Le Lobreget we had a very rare bird for Spain I beleive Marsh Sandpiper,this rounded off the trip nicely.

POP
Wrong photo before.

POP

Attachments

• AA126.jpg
    AA126.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 144
Hi Ignacio

Splendid web site. I left a message in your guest book. Hope you received it. If not send me a private message via BIRDFORUM. I am glad to see that Josele is receiving the praise he rightly deserves.

Best wishes

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back