• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where will you be starting your 2013 list (1 Viewer)

Brian2

I have been visiting Titchwell as my annual new years day tick venue and with a day to go I'm just wondering where others plan to start their new year list.

Do you have a ritual?
Do you plan it around any rarities that have hung around for new years day?
Do you visit your patch or do you just not bother with a new list at all?:eek!:

I have a two-centre century run planned, local patch in the morning and Selsey area in the afternoon. Given decent weather I should make the hundred and pick up a few mammals to start that list off as well.

John

Have a ritual for a few years now,Assiniboine Park and feeders nearby.My first try at it produced a cardinal and saw-whet owl!I was hooked then on!Basic reason is a good list of species can be found here,compared to the rest of Manitoba,unless you drive hundreds of miles!A nice rarity was close by a few days back,Northern Hawk Owl,will try for it.

https://www.facebook.com/events/104905393017619/

Unfortunately nowhere glamorous for me, Hilfield park Reservoir in Hertfordshire, simply because I haven't been there for a while and it's in cycling distance from the house.

Elton Reservoir as soon as I surface (hangover not necessarily included but ususually present).

I am sure most people start on their local patch and therein lies the real fun because some of the tastiest ticks will be elsewhere. Here's hoping everyone has a mega on their local patch in 2013. Cheers everyone and good luck!

Lucky Hammock just outside of Everglades National Park, where I will start my run for breaking the Big Day record for Miami-Dade.

Carlos

Usually I start with birding around the village and then I head in the general direction of Venus Pool. It's been a bit dead there lately so I might head up north Shropshire way to the Meres and Mosses area.

Lucky Hammock just outside of Everglades National Park, where I will start my run for breaking the Big Day record for Miami-Dade.

Carlos

Sounds like an appropriate place to start... best of luck with the record-breaking attempt. What is the current record?

John

My ritual is to go to bed early on New Year's Eve so I can get up early on New Year's Day. (My days of staying up late are long gone). I usually start by spending an hour or so checking out what comes to the feeders in the back yard, and then hit as many good birding sites as I can during the day to see as many species as possible.

This will be the first time I'll be spending the first day of the new year birding in West Virginia. I have a route planned out and a target list of around 40 species. Birding this route should take most of the day. When I was in Indiana, I was usually able to see up to 60 species, but the habitat isn't as varied here and it's therefore not quite as birdy.

However, tomorrow's forecast calls for one to three inches of snow, so my plans may be foiled.

Dave

Interesting to see I'm not alone in this dilemma of where to go or even should I go?
do I have targets? surely everybody wants to see 100 on 1st Jan....or is that just me?

If asked why I couldn't begin to tell you..... why I need to see the Robin again that's been in my garden all year......it's just the nature of the hobby and I remain convinced it's just a reason for me to get up and out to some great places..the birds are there and give me the reason to go but it's much more than counting birds!

anyway..whatever you do, wherever you go...may the force be with you!

Seeing as I am working all night as a taxi driver I am hoping a barn/tawny or little owl will be first up on my list just after midnight

Well as I am in the Frampton RSPB Visitor Centre tomorrow I suppose I will start there, but I don't bother keeping any list nowadays! Not that there was ever very much on one anyway.:-C

Interesting to see I'm not alone in this dilemma of where to go or even should I go?
do I have targets? surely everybody wants to see 100 on 1st Jan....or is that just me?

If asked why I couldn't begin to tell you..... why I need to see the Robin again that's been in my garden all year......it's just the nature of the hobby and I remain convinced it's just a reason for me to get up and out to some great places..the birds are there and give me the reason to go but it's much more than counting birds!

That sums it up perfectly :t: It's like every January 1st is a clean sheet and a chance to achieve and/or catch up with whatever you missed the previous year.....and believe me, I have missed some VERY easy birds :eek!:

Tomorrow will be the first New Years Day I've had off in nearly 7 years so I plan to get out at first light and stay out until dusk o:) Can't decide whether to go to the meeting at Beadnell of my local bird club OR, as in previous years, have a day out on my own and find my own birds.....edging towards the latter o:) Forecast is dry & sunny all day so I think I might just be heading down to Cresswell first and work my way up the coastline. I'll be happy with 50 birds......tho' wouldn't say no to more ;)

My 2012 Year List ended on 145 but that was caused A LOT by my being stuck in a job which often had me working 6 or 7 days a week :-C I quit 10 days ago so am now free to do a lot....an OBSCENE amount....of birding until finances dictate my scouring the job ads once more ;)

My 2012 Year List ended on 145 but that was caused A LOT by my being stuck in a job which often had me working 6 or 7 days a week :-C I quit 10 days ago so am now free to do a lot....an OBSCENE amount....of birding until finances dictate my scouring the job ads once more ;)

Good for you..have a cracking 2013 B :)

I could never see the point of keeping a list. I will be out tomorrow , keeping well away from poplar bird watching sites and anything interesting will be recorded , but making a list or chasing rare birds , I do not think so.

Last edited:
I could never see the point of keeping a list. I will be out tomorrow , and anything interesting will be recorded , but making a list , I do not think so.

It's funny you should say that, I have never seen the point of keeping lists either, yet I always have. I suppose it is a way of motivating myself to do what I already enjoy but particularly on the days when it would be easier to stay in bed or watch Time Team re-runs on More4. ;)

My New Year resolution is to go back to collecting information properly for the GMBRG and Birdtrack, which involves...keeping lists. 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back