• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An interview with Gerold Dobler, leader of the SF design team (1 Viewer)

just noted that it's different then FL and HT, then whats the difference?
higher content of Calcium Fluorite?
Fluorite crystal is very difficult to work with as well, and expensive…
would be nice with some more info on the Ultra-FL glass,

Dobler says:

"The doublet is made from glass containing calcium fluorite, different from FL and HT but still supplied by Schott and it is very expensive and a challenge to work with as it can break more easily during manufacturing."

and some info from Takahashi web-site:

"..Other telescope manufacturers may claim that ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass is the equivalent of fluorite or that their older designs will work as well. Unfortunately, they are not being honest. While ED and fluoro-crown lenses can achieve Abbe-coefficients approaching fluorite, they tend to absorb more light in the visible spectrum. This means that fluorite yields a brighter, higher contrast image. Leica, Zeiss, and Kowa have all gone to fluorite in their spotting scopes and telescopes to achieve the maximum performance levels their customers demand. Most of them previously used ED glass. Obviously, they know the difference between fluorite and ED. You will too. ...
"
---

"To call lenses made of fluoro crown glass fluorite lenses is misleading and is a marketing attempt to sell on the back of the outstanding performance/ reputation of telescopes which used Calciumfluorit elements such as the Takahashi FS-102, FS-128, FS-150, the Vixen 102 and Calciumfluorit doublets of current production."

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-121155.html

Hi VB

The lenses referred to contain calcium fluorite as an addition to the chemical composition of the glass so they are not pure crystals.

Zeiss FL and HT also used this type of glass. The SF 'fluorite' glass is different from HT but I don't know in what way, but I suspect that it has to do with the objective system being a doublet + focuser system instead of the triplet of the HT, rather than any enhancement of the low dispersion characteristics which are already excellent in HT.

Lee

Lee, thanks a lot for this interesting interview! I agree that Herr Dobler and Herr Seil have taken the challenge of a very ambitious project, and surely something great has been achieved. Most notably an increase in field of view with, at the same time, high edge sharpness, that's something quite remarkable!

The doublet lens apparently contains one lens element made of CaF2, so it is a classical ED. These CaF2 lenses are not only hard to shape, but also difficult to coat, since not all of the anti-reflex layers are sticking well on that material. I guess this is an air-spaced doublet, with "super-thin" lens elements, one of them made of CaF2 - let's hope it won't break upon a strong mechanical impact.

I do not quite understand that explanation for the "Absam-ring", caused by a "kind of field stop" to reduce aberrations like coma. A field stop would affect the field of view, not the sharpness, and the effects of any other kind of stops should increase with the angle, thus affect the edges of field. But the Absam-ring is something that shows up in between. I would have guessed that it was a higher order field curvature effect, but anyway ...

Regarding the globe effect, note that Mr. Dobler claimed 5-10% of the users being affected by that effect. "Affected" may refer to more serious reactions than just noticing the effect. I would guess that, with distortion-free optics, at least 40% of the users would notice the effect, but certainly less than 10% are feeling seriously disturbed by that effect. It is great to know that they have taken the side effects of low-distortion serious and that they have conducted tests about them. I would be very much interested in the test results they have got, to compare them with those theoretical and simulation studies I have published a few years ago.

Cheers,
Holger

Thanks Holger

Regarding the Absam ring, I think Herr Dobler was using English very precisely by saying 5-10% are affected by it and not simply perceiving the effect.

And it was interesting that the chosen level of distortion was arrived at not simply by calculation and theory, but aided greatly by empirical observations by people, and that this method brought SF so close to the line on your graph postulating an optimum distortion.

As always this is a compromise between the desired field flatness and the freedom from perceived rolling ball.

Lee

Lee,

Thanks for the interview. A good read. Interesting to hear the take of the product manager and gain some insight into their thinking.

Holger,

I share your thoughts on the "Absam ring" explanation. It would be nice to hear a bit more about it, since the field-stop explanation does not sound quite right.

Incidentally, I'm a bit annoyed by the "Absam" part of the term that has gained hold on these forums. It was probably coined by Brock in his crusade against the RB-effects of the Swarovisions, but the phenomenon it describes I first saw in Nikon's SE 10x42 which I got in 1996 and still have. It has very good edge of field sharpness, but a little bit inwards from the edge the sharpness falls off before increasing again, very much like in the Swarovisions. So, for historical correctness, credit should be given to the inventors of this anomaly and it should be called the "SE ring," unless an even earlier precedent is found. I do not know if this effect is equally visible in the 8x32 SE, since that model I have not thoroughly tested or viewed with.

Kimmo

Hej Kimmo

Thanks for your welcome to the interview.
We will see if other observers and commentators begin calling this effect the SE Ring.
There is a saying that there is nothing new under the sun, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could find this effect in bins prior to the SE.

Lee

Vespobuteo, post 22,
The SF's were delivered on the spot and not preordered.

Lee,
I understood from Dobler during his DBA lecture that Konrad Seil and he himself were inspired by the Erfle and the Ethos design eypieces to obtain a large aberration free FOV. Therefore the SF eyepiece, which is an excellent piece of work, could , as far as I am concerned, get the name of Seil-Erfle-Dobler (SEB-eyepiece for those who like abbreviations) eyepiece to honor the work of the designers.
Dobler also told me when asked, that all problems with the focusser, flare and eyepieces were resolved in the production process. The grey rubber mantle, althogh very thin was shown to be very shockresistant considering the projected graphs. Color reproduction of the SF should be excellent and comply perfectly with the DIN-standard for it. At the Dutch Birdfair I noticed that the SF had a tiny advantage of the Swarovski SV as far as the reproduction of whites is concerned, but the difference is very small and it will probably not be observed by the great majority of observers.
Dobler also told that a group of approx. 20 people were involved in the SF development and that the whole process took about two years. Stefan Bühring told me at the Dutch Birdfair that it took 3 years, but what is a year in view of eternity.
Gijs

Vespobuteo, post 22,
The SF's were delivered on the spot and not preordered.

Lee,
I understood from Dobler during his DBA lecture that Konrad Seil and he himself were inspired by the Erfle and the Ethos design eypieces to obtain a large aberration free FOV. Therefore the SF eyepiece, which is an excellent piece of work, could , as far as I am concerned, get the name of Seil-Erfle-Dobler (SEB-eyepiece for those who like abbreviations) eyepiece to honor the work of the designers.
Dobler also told me when asked, that all problems with the focusser, flare and eyepieces were resolved in the production process. The grey rubber mantle, althogh very thin was shown to be very shockresistant considering the projected graphs. Color reproduction of the SF should be excellent and comply perfectly with the DIN-standard for it. At the Dutch Birdfair I noticed that the SF had a tiny advantage of the Swarovski SV as far as the reproduction of whites is concerned, but the difference is very small and it will probably not be observed by the great majority of observers.
Dobler also told that a group of approx. 20 people were involved in the SF development and that the whole process took about two years. Stefan Bühring told me at the Dutch Birdfair that it took 3 years, but what is a year in view of eternity.
Gijs

Gijs

Thank you indeed for this update which are a nice addition to the interview.

Lee

I guess this is an air-spaced doublet, with "super-thin" lens elements, one of them made of CaF2 - let's hope it won't break upon a strong mechanical impact.

Cheers,
Holger

Holger and Gijs

This characteristic of CaF2 lenses has been taken into consideration by Herr Dobler and Zeiss looked carefully for a better rubber armour to help with this.

The armour fitted to SF is actually not quite solid, there are 'ribs' moulded into the underside of the armour, separated by small air spaces. Although solid armour might feel a bit more tough to some people this SF armour is significantly better at absorbing mechanical shocks.

Lee

Holger and Gijs

This characteristic of CaF2 lenses has been taken into consideration by Herr Dobler and Zeiss looked carefully for a better rubber armour to help with this.

The armour fitted to SF is actually not quite solid, there are 'ribs' moulded into the underside of the armour, separated by small air spaces. Although solid armour might feel a bit more tough to some people this SF armour is significantly better at absorbing mechanical shocks.

Lee

Lee,

Then it seems that the new design was a tradeoff between a higher risk of damage potential caused by the new objectives vs an overall lighter weight for the binocular along with moving the balance point of the binocular back toward the oculars?

Do you know much weight was saved by not using the triplet objectives the HT/FLs used?

Bob

Lee,

Then it seems that the new design was a tradeoff between a higher risk of damage potential caused by the new objectives vs an overall lighter weight for the binocular along with moving the balance point of the binocular back toward the oculars?

Do you know much weight was saved by not using the triplet objectives the HT/FLs used?

Bob

Hi Bob

Nice to hear from you. I am not a spokesman for Zeiss so what follows is my understanding based on conversations with Her Dobler.

Zeiss do not consider the fragility of the objectives to be a great concern due to their experience in using this material in the FLs and HTs and felt confident in using it even in this ultra-thin design. Biinoculars are nothing more than a truck-load of trade-offs anyway and this includes the weight saving vs robustness question although material choices can help this.

However, mindful of not only the objectives but also of the weight saving done throughout the SF they felt that looking for additional protection was a natural thing to do and also part of an organic process of improvement from FL to HT to SF. So they looked for cleverly designed armour that was also economical with regard to weight.

I'm sorry I don't know the precise weight saving by dumping one objective and thinning the other two.

The final machined magnesium alloy body, prior to mounting of lenses, prisms and other stuff is a thing of beauty and feels as light as an egg-shell and yet is really robust.

Lee

Last edited:
Ceasar,
Dobler emphasized over and over that the goal was: a lighter binocular than the Swar. SV, a larger FOV, a lighter weight (which came down to 780 grams for the 8x and 10x SF's) , improved ergonomics (better grip due to more space for the hands (the SF advertising book says 15% more then the SV), improvement of the balance by bringing part of the bodyweight to the 7 lens eyepiece, which has a weight of 150 grams versus 130 grams for the 3 lens objective. The objective consists of a doublet and a separate focussing lens which is part of the objective group, very close focus (1,5, m), fast focus (1,8 rev. from close focus to infinity)
To compare it with the HT: the eyepiece system of the HT weighs 90 grams and the objective system weighs 208 grams.
Zeiss also tried to give the SF a high transmission of 92%, therefore the Schmidt-Pechan prisms have a 70 layer dielectric coating. The field flattener is designed so as not to yield a fully sharp field up to the very edge to decrease the globus effect. On my question whether the resolution is constant over the whole FOV Dobler told that this was the case. A special case was designed for the SF for quick and easy access to the binocular.
NB. These are not my test results, but a summary of the advertising book, Zeiss supplies with the SF.
The book says over and over that the SF is the world's best birding and wildlife observation binocular: in short simply the best (quotations, not my words).
Dobler emphasized frequently that the SF was specially designed for birders and wildlife observation.
Gijs

improvement of the balance by bringing part of the bodyweight to the 7 lens eyepiece, which has a weight of 150 grams versus 130 grams for the 3 lens objective.

Gijs

Gijs just to be clear, when you say 130 grams for the 3 lens objective do you mean the SF objective which is a doublet + focus lens system??

Lee

I am not a chemist but calcium fluoride is CaF2.
The mineral fluorite, fluorspar is often deeply coloured due to impurities.

These crystals and glasses are difficult to work with and coat especially multicoat.

Many special glasses must be immediately coated when made as they quickly tarnish.

Thin elements are difficult to make, but are less susceptible to heat changes.
Some tea glasses are made very thin of ordinary glass as they can withstand repeated boiling water shock. A thicker glass would crack.

The Absam, SE ring effect, I think exists in photographic lenses over 100 years old, I will check, but if memory serves me correctly it is very old.

I do hope that if the SF has Erfle eyepieces is does not show any ghost images at all, as older Erfle eyepiece binoculars such as Swift HR5, Soviet 6x24 and many other are plagued by ghosts from bright light sources.
Multicoating does not help much, but careful design might.

The doublet lens apparently contains one lens element made of CaF2, so it is a classical ED. These CaF2 lenses are not only hard to shape, but also difficult to coat, since not all of the anti-reflex layers are sticking well on that material. I guess this is an air-spaced doublet, with "super-thin" lens elements, one of them made of CaF2 - let's hope it won't break upon a strong mechanical impact.

Kowa has been using CaF2 lenses in the objectives of their top scopes for many years now, staring with the venerable TSN3/4. I haven't heard of any problems at all with these lenses.

Hermann

Hermann,

You are right about the Kowa scopes. I don't think I've heard of a single one where the lens would have broken, but I have seen a few of the TSN3 and 823 models that have been just about battered to pieces otherwise, due to very rough use. So yes, it would be rather a surprise if lens durability would become an issue.

Kimmo

Kowa has been using CaF2 lenses in the objectives of their top scopes for many years now, staring with the venerable TSN3/4. I haven't heard of any problems at all with these lenses.

Hermann

Canon have used it in photographic optics for many decades. Nikon have started using it, along with their ED and super ED glasses. And the lenses are not even protected with rubber armour, so shock will be worse. This link is interesting:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/lenses/fluorite_aspherical_and_ud_lenses.do

Canon claim a flourite element takes four times as long to grind, adding to the cost, although having only two objective elements will reduce costs a bit.

Very interesting thread by Lee. :t:

I look forward to Dennis's authoritative review.

Canon have used it in photographic optics for many decades. Nikon have started using it, along with their ED and super ED glasses. And the lenses are not even protected with rubber armour, so shock will be worse. This link is interesting:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/infobank/lenses/fluorite_aspherical_and_ud_lenses.do

Canon claim a flourite element takes four times as long to grind, adding to the cost, although having only two objective elements will reduce costs a bit.

Interesting that Nikon finally decided to use Fluorite in camera lenses. It seems to save a lot of weight in long telephoto lenses. Canons latest lenses are so much lighter than nikons corresponding ED-versions. Though the prices have become ridiculous on the new versions…

seems to be a lot of work though, making lenses:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=canon+lens+production

wouldn't it be easier to sell sausages instead?

Last edited:
Like Dennis or not, he will step up to the plate and buy cutting edge glass that a lot of other only talk about. What he does with them after he buys them ?:-O
If the SF is by consensus of many credible opinions a true advancement over the latest SV, then I will more than likely buy one myself. It's all totaly speculatively at this point.

I look forward to Dennis's authoritative review.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back