• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Targets for 2019 (1 Viewer)

Congrats to Arch on his milestone. One that I am still lagging a little behind on for my UK list as I have unfortunately had little opportunity to get out this year do to various circumstances. The few occasions I have managed it, I have returned a pretty dismal records of serious dips so far. (at least my trip to France earlier in the year came up trumps!).
I think I will just have to write this year off, as it looks like the possibility of getting out and about anytime in the near future is fairly grim. Have a family holiday in Cornwall for the half term so hoping something might turn up there (hopes that the Booby might decide to hang around now seem dashed).

. Have a family holiday in Cornwall for the half term so hoping something might turn up there (hopes that the Booby might decide to hang around now seem dashed).

Whereabouts in Cornwall? We'll be near St Just Monday to Friday that week.

I sincerely doubt there's any chance of Brown Booby. Pretty sure they've reoriented after getting their bearings. They'll be back in the tropics by now, with no real reason to visit Cornwall again any time soon. On the plus side, Grey Catbird was near Land's End during half term last year, so there's a real chance of something special that week.

September 15th

Hadn’t decided what to do today, was thinking about checking out some sites around the Dee estuary for migrant waders, still needing Curlew Sand & Little Stint for the year, then heard that the American Golden Plover was back at Lunt (having flown off yesterday afternoon). Off we go then, less than an hour’s drive, and we were back at Lunt for the second time this year. The poor Plover, when the Lapwings weren’t pestering it the Canada Geese were having a go, it’s a wonder it hadn’t found somewhere quieter to hang out, but lucky for us it hadn’t, as this means that less than a week after Arch hitting 300, Sam’s done it as well!

So now instead of heading off to look for waders on the Dee we headed up the road to Marshside RSPB instead, knowing there had been a few Curlew Sands there recently. Things started off well, as within ten minutes of setting off on a circuit we connected with a pair of Ruddy Shelduck by Polly’s Pool. These are presumably part of the Euro Cat C population on its annual late summer dispersal, but I’m still torn as to whether to take the common sense view that these are as tickable as the Canada & Greylag Geese scattered across the marsh, or maintain a squeaky clean BOU list. That goes for me too, as I’ve yet to tick this species in the UK myself. I’m more and more inclined to make my own mind up, and not be such a milquetoast where rules are concerned. Sleep on it. Further round on Crossens Inner Marsh we picked up a quartet of Curlew Sandpipers hanging out with a load of Ruff. We spent the rest of the circuit checking through the Pinkfeet (felt very strange scanning through Geese in such mild weather; usually its an activity for the perishing cold) before making our way home.

Attachments

• IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3077.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_3206.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 33
And after a pretty decent first half, the rest of September kind of fizzled out. Managed to year tick Little Stint at Burton Mere wetlands last weekend, and Merlin at Burton Point today, but that’s been the best of it. Slightly disappointed that we’ve had a whole weekend off with nothing in the way, and there’s been nothing really to go for. We’ve dropped in on a couple of sites round the village, but have nothing really to show for it, and a bit further afield today we’ve had a few Great White Egrets, a couple of Spoonbill, a Green Sandpiper and a Little Owl, but given the time of year I’d hoped for more. It’s probably all lining itself up for next weekend when I’ll be in work.

Steady progress here through September.
On the 14th I did my WeBS count without either boy as it was windy and I didn't expect anything good. However on the way I stopped at a seasonal flood and found a green sandpiper. It was still there on my way back so I collected Daniel from home and we went and saw it - his 200th species for the year.
Last weekend on the Saturday afternoon Daniel and I went down to Fife Ness where seawatching proved unproductive, but a juvenile little stint showed very well on Balcomie beach. On Sunday a trip down to Guardbridge added spotted redshank to the yearlist. In the afternoon I took the boys to Fife Ness where a red-breasted flycatcher showed quite well alongside a pied flycatcher. Seawatching was quiet but included some category A barnacle geese for an upgrade! A search for yellow-browed warbler gave untickable views. Yesterday Daniel and I had a look for a lingering yellow-browed warbler at Kilminning and managed brief views. A barred warbler gave classic UTVs. We were back out there again this morning when the barred warbler gave itself up and a couple of yellow-browed warblers gave much more satisfying views. A seawatch from Fife Ness gave Daniel his long awaited first sooty shearwater plus a manx and a couple of bonxies.
Nothing that rare in September but some good birding.

Rob

Ah, the benefits of an East coast location Rob! The Flycatcher and both Warblers would be ticks for my two so that would represent a definite extension of our purple patch! Nice one on the Sooty Shear, very smart, and done old school on a sea watch, not like our pelagic list-hack.

Should have mentioned, I have decided to allow the boys their Ruddy Shelduck. What the hell, life's too short to wait for the BOU, they'll catch up in their own sweet time I have no doubt. Puts Arch on 223 for the year, will try and get this up to 240 if we can.

I believe they are increasing. Certainly I have started seeing them in St Andrews in the past two or three years when previously I'd only seen greys.

Rob

I had three targets this year: Greater Prairie-Chicken, Black-billed Cuckoo, and European Goldfinch. The first one I got on the lek. The second I did end up seeing (twice, on separate occasions). But the goldfinch still evades me.

October 12th

A whole weekend to play with, had wondered whether a two-day road trip would be in order, but as it turned out the obvious bird to go for on Saturday morning was a nice local Kentish Plover up at Southport. We got there nice and early, and found the bird already under scrutiny. It was soon flushed by a dog walker, but didn’t go far, and we were soon on it again, in amongst a scattering of Ringed Plovers and Dunlin, always standing out as the palest bird of the flock. We returned for another look after treating ourselves to a full English nearby before continuing on our way.

Not wishing to return via the Mersey Gateway and have to pay the parasitic scoundrels who run the toll (may embarrassing illnesses plague the lot of them) for a second time today I was looking for a good reason to loop east before heading home, so we swung by High Rid Reservoir where we easily picked up the Little Gull there, leaving us very conveniently placed to drop in on Pennington Flash as we passed it on the onward route home. Here we enjoyed frequent visits from a Willow Tit to the feeders at Bunting Hide, giving us the day’s third addition to the year list before making our way home.

Attachments

• IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4333.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4373.JPG
    IMG_4373.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5104.JPG
    IMG_5104.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5331.JPG
    IMG_5331.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 45
October 13th

Shame about the weather. A mid-October day in the Spurn Easington area can be birding gold, and I had hoped to capitalise on any breaks in the rain to try and catch up with some avian goodies once we’d sorted the main event out but, alas, breaks there were none. The main event was Red-eyed Vireo on Vicars Lane, and that was hard enough work as it was. The light drizzle pinging off leaves, leaving them gently bouncing on their stems, allowing feeding birds to go unoticed against a background of constantly quivering foliage. Sam did well, picking up a feeding Yellow-browed Warbler, but Arch couldn’t quite get the views required to nail it as a lifer. Then the Vireo showed at the car park, but not to all, ourselves included, and the cat and mouse continued. I managed to pick it up in the trees along the road, and in no time at all we were surrounded by birders, most of whom connected, including Sam, but again not an increasingly overwrought Arch, who was having a pretty grim day and was beginning to panic. God knows, we’ve all been there, and a brief (hopefully reassuring) pep talk was required to get him to maintain focus.

Another sighting, another miss (all three of us this time) and by now it seemed that the best strategy was to wait at the car park, where the bird seemed to show every fifteen to twenty minutes. So Arch staked that out while Sam and I continued to slowly work our way up and down the road. As we turned from the furthest point of our walk we could see that the crowd had tightened up a little, clearly onto something, so we started to head back. Half way there and the crowd dispersed slightly (bird clearly now moved on, body language of twitches can be very easy to read sometimes). I saw Arch in amongst it, he beckoned, I shrugged in reply and he responded with a big thumbs up! Phew! Sounded like he got better views that us too. After last year's Catbird, Red-eyed Vireo is their second American passerine; a bit more bread and butter maybe, but most welcome all the same.

We turned out attention to trying to find Yellow-browed warbler next, but to no avail. Heard occasional calls but never got a clear line on it, just picking up Blackcaps, Chiffies, a Brambling and a Reed warbler as we searched. The rain was worsening now, so we decided to head off to seek shelter and warmth. Both could be found at the Visitor Centre, where we recharged with coffee & hot chocolate, picked up a couple of in flight Beardies, and then headed back out into the rain. A couple of distant Ring Ouzels from Canal Scrape hide, some very close showing Knot and a Med Gull at Kilnsea, and then we were back at Easington for another go at Yellow-brows. By now the rain was worse, and the Yellow-brow seemingly silent, along with everything else that had been calling earlier in the morning. The situation remained the same after we’d stopped and had lunch. By now we were soaked through and cold, but having seen our main target we decided to cut and run.

With a three hour drive home there was no way we would have stuck it out long enough to still be around when the Great Snipe was found at four, not in those conditions, so I wasn’t too perturbed on learning of it when I got home. Ho hum, way it goes.

Significantly, this now means the boys have achieved list parity. Ever since May 2016, when Arch got Corncrake and Sam didn’t, he’s been one ahead. With Sam’s Yellow-browed Warbler they’re now neck and neck on 304, but with a couple of weeks of October remaining I wouldn’t count on that state of affairs lasting long. We’ll see.

Good stuff. We were down visiting my mum for the wrong few days... Our near annual visit to Spurn failed to net any year ticks at all. Rb fly, black redstart, Sibe chiffchaff (and a yellow-browed for Daniel) were nice but it could have been much better. We missed Sibe stonechat by an hour or so.

Rob

28th October - 1st November

It seemed like a good idea at the time. October half term in Cornwall, staying a stone’s throw from Kenidjack, plenty of potential for finding something out of the ordinary, even of being in easy striking distance of something a bit special. This was also a family holiday, so time would be spent doing the tourist thing too, which I won’t be regaling you with here.

We started with a very early depart, delivering us to Porthgwarra at a decent enough time to have a hunt about, in particular for Yellow-browed Warbler, much desired by Arch. Unfortunately, the weather had other plans, and we were hampered throughout the week by strong, occasionally very strong, winds, with rain in a wide array of makes & models. We drew a blank on Yellow-brows, just picking up Snow Buntings for the year, and a flighty Ring Ouzel. We ended the day dipping Red-breasted Flycatcher at Land’s End, where we picked up the boys’ first Firecrests since they saw their first in Suffolk over three years ago.

In spite of trawls up and down Kenidjack each morning (in some truly atrocious conditions) we really didn’t prosper. A few more Firecrests, Black Redstart was a year ick for Arch, and most frustratingly a calling Phyllosc we were put onto by another birder that was either Radde’s or Dusky, but only ever showed as a moving shape lurking deep in cover, or as a blurry silhouette darting off and away. We soon lost track. Another Snow Bunt, a really nice showy one on the beach near St Michael’s Mount was the only other thing of note.

Until Friday that is. I’d already decided to go looking for the reported Richard’s Pipit at Sennen before embarking on the long drive home, but was astonished when, with the car packed and ready to hit the road, I checked on RBA…. What the actual?! Hardly seemed credible, must be a mistake, surely. As we headed over it was clear that the weather had one last trick up its sleeve; fog. Hmm, don't remember that in the forecast - can you spot the two birders in the last pic attached? The bird had apparently been heard that morning, but it seemed an impossible task to track it down in those conditions, so I made one of the worst decisions in my birding life, and headed home. Thinking back its hard to recall why, but there were a few contributory factors. We had two non-birder waiting in the car; a weak reason, they know me, and would have understood. It was a long drive home; well wasn’t going to get any shorter just by leaving earlier, so another weak reason. The weather looked massively non conducive to finding a small bird in a huge field; couldn’t hurt to try though, surely? I think the main reason though was that birding had been such a gruelling slog throughout our stay that I had been pushed into a rather pessimistic frame of mind, and without another grown-up birder on the team I lacked anyone to bounce scenarios off, and who could have talked me into sticking with it. So, an opportunity missed. A big one. Better luck next time.

Attachments

• IMG_5657.JPG
    IMG_5657.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5828.JPG
    IMG_5828.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6034.JPG
    IMG_6034.JPG
    292.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6312.JPG
    IMG_6312.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6374.JPG
    IMG_6374.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 48
'If our foresight was as good as our hindsight we'd all be better off a darn sight!'
Don't beat yourself up about it too much, these things happen to us all!

Chris

Oof. That's a bit rough. Just convince yourself it can't be a real vagrant and you're all sorted!
Autumn has rather fizzled out here with only a few year list additions over the last month. Over half term a fairly unproductive jaunt down south produced nice bearded tits in Lincolnshire and the boys added dubious category C red-crested pochard in the Cotswold water park (eugh!). Recently Daniel and I have seen a nice great grey shrike in Angus and a few little auks last Saturday (plus 5 jack snipe on my WeBS count). A few more outings planned in search of year ticks but that's about it.

Rob

November 9th: part I

Fair to say it chafed, somewhat. So, when my weekend off came around, we went back. Not sure I’d have done a trip like that cold, not without there being unfinished business, but as the scale of my cock-up became apparent I became resolved to seek atonement, and at a little before six, after a seven hour overnighter, we pulled up outside the chippy in Sennen and waited for the light to improve and the rain to desist. Both came to pass by around 07:30, so off we set, down the side of the maize field, to see what we could find.

We were the only birders on site, and with half a kilometre of field to search it was quite the daunting task, but we had to start somewhere I guess, so a few yards along the track we stopped to scan. First bird in the bins, boom, Paddyfield Pipit! What a start to the weekend! Right by the path, we all managed great views before it headed, bit by bit, off across the field, as a few more birders turned up, to a big thumbs up from us, swiftly followed by directions onto the bird.

No sign of the Buff-bellied Pipit, and although the weather was a sight better than on our half term trip, it was still pretty windy, cold too, so we headed off to find some more sheltered birding to do, starting with a look for Purple Sandpipers at Jubilee Pool in Penzance. No sign, but a feeding flock of Turnstone was fun to watch, never come across such vocal Turnstones, trilling away as they fed.

Back to Sennen then, where there was some confusion about whether, when and where the Buff-bellied had been seen, and this kind of became a theme of the weekend, as we seemed constantly to miss this bird by minutes each time we tried for it. Never mind, can’t see everything, and we did manage to catch up with much better views of the Paddyfield, which was no hardship at all!

Attachments

• IMG_6598.JPG
    IMG_6598.JPG
    300.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6663.JPG
    IMG_6663.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6670.JPG
    IMG_6670.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6759.JPG
    IMG_6759.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6722.JPG
    IMG_6722.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 72
Can't say I'm envious of that one! Forgot to mention my find of the autumn - which I almost screwed up. On a lunchtime walk I found a confiding dipper so I went back the next day and took a few photos. Whilst looking at the photos on the computer a couple of days after that I realised that it looked rather good for black-bellied! Sue, Daniel and I saw it with some difficulty later that day, though it was rather elusive. It was trapped the following day and measurements proved inconclusive, though the appearance suggests black-bellied. Recent rain has made looking for it rather pointless...

Rob

November 9th: part II

Can't say I'm envious of that one!

Yeah, I can totally understand that! I think, having been to Cornwall hoping to be on site if something special turned up, when it did and I totally screwed it up, it just felt like a loop that needed closing. I certainly don’t regret going, but probably would have regretted not.

We swung by Jubilee Pool again on our way to Helston. Two significant changes here; the tide was much further in, and there was nowhere to park! In the end we found a spot a short distance away, but it only allowed half an hour. I’m sure we could have spun it out for longer, but in the end didn’t need to, as we had two Purple Sandpipers point blank when we got to the rocks below the pool, and after watching them, and the Rock Pipits & Turnstones still present, and a couple of scans of the sea, we still made it back to the car with time to spare.

The Lesser Scaup at Helston couldn’t have been easier, loafing with the Tufties bare yards away when we got there, although by the time we left he had headed off across the lake to feed and was spending a lot of time under water, and often travelling a fair distance when he was. We had a good look around the sewage works and along the track to Penrose in our continued quest for a Yellow-brow for Arch, but again came away with nought but Firecrests, which fortunately remain a delight to see, so we didn’t feel too denied. One last Buff-bellied dip before turning in at Camborne Travelodge.

Attachments

• IMG_6920.JPG
    IMG_6920.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6938.JPG
    IMG_6938.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_7165.JPG
    IMG_7165.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7197.JPG
    IMG_7197.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7237.JPG
    IMG_7237.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back