• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wintering hummingbird (1 Viewer)

bobky

Is it true that hummingbirds only exist in the Americas? None in Europe? You are missing a special treat if you have never seen one in flight.

We have a little (Rufous?) wintering over here in Kentucky, which is very rare. The weather is expected to start getting well below freezing temperatures at night, so I hope for the best.

This picture was taken out our kitchen window today, 4 Jan 2004,with a Panasonic FZ1 camera (12x optical zoom).

Attachments

• 4jan04ca.jpg
    4jan04ca.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 269
They don't exist in the wild outside of the Americas.

I have seen Ruby throated in the wild - great!

There are some places where people can see hummers - heated butterfly houses for example. But they're like zoos :-(

Andy.

I think satrow is right about hummers being endemic only to the Americas.

But I find it amazing that this little beauty has chosen to stick around this far north this late!! Amazing!

Are you providing any warmth at all around the feeder?

Glad he's not up here -- we're having sleet on top of snow, with more snow and ice predicted. Ick!

Weve got our own version - The Hummingbird Hawkmoth. Not a bird.......but most people think they`ve seen a hummingbird afterwards!!

Yes, Rufous Hummingbird, female.

Make sure you have some fresh sugar solution available for it at first light every morning through the freeze!

Michael

I have seen tiny hummingbird-like birds in the Middle East - but I can't remember what they were. Has anyone else seen them?

Sunbirds I should think Scampo

hummers are beautiful
from sea-level in the tropics to the snow-fields of the Andes - incredible little birds and damn hard to pick up in the forest - u just hear a large buzzing sound zipping thru the trees - then sometimes they'll just sit motionless.

I saw several Ruby-throated Hummers in Canada. Mostly just fly-bys, but one perched obligingly on a branch and allowed itself to be 'scoped at leisure. Amazing how the throat changed from red to black and back as the bird turned its head. Even the wife enjoyed that one! What price one of those turning up on the Scilles one day?

Jason

Now I know my memory is failing... That's the one! A beauty - in the centre of Tel-Aviv, too.

Last edited:
Nice picture. I have been hosting one for a couple of weeks now but I'm no good at photographing hummingbirds. She is a Rufous/Allen's but when the bander came by, the bird took off until she left with her trap, so the bird escaped without being fully identified. We do get Allen's so you aren't really sure what you have here unless they're banded and measured; I'm pretty sure up in Kentucky they are all going to be Rufous.

Thanks to all for the comments. Consensus seems to be that she is a Rufous. Whatever she is, she is one tough little bird. The air temperature when I just took this picture was 14F/ -10C. We are feeding her the sugar water solution and in another feeder a product called Nektar Plus,which is designed for nectar feeding birds and moths.

Here is my photo album of her:

http://home.insightbb.com/~bstaib1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

Attachments

• 6jancan.jpg
    6jancan.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
There was an article in our local Wilmington, NC newspaper last year about a banded rufous hummingbird that has hung around this area for the past three years in the winter. The family who "hosted" the hummingbird called a lady who is an ornithologist and licensed bird bander who works as a research affilitate with the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. After catching the hummingbird in a special cage trap, she was able to match the band number and know that this was the same hummingbird that she had banded three years before when it was just a juvenile. Not only is it a rarity to see a hummingbird here in the winter, but usually only the ruby-throated ones are this far east. However, it was noted that more and more rufous hummingbirds are making their way east. Good luck with your little hummer. Now that the weather is really cold here, he will need all the necter you can provide.

Hi NCLady,

Pretty amazing isn't it !! We had about 3 inches/75mm of snow last night,but she was up early this morning-about 15 minutes before sunrise.
Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 9jan04da.jpg
    9jan04da.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 368
She's still here;pretty amazing. This picture was from two days ago. Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 20Jan04ga.jpg
    20Jan04ga.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 170
Bob, I'm absolutely amazed that you still have a hummer hanging about!

The last ones known in Indiana departed within the last week or so. And to the best of my knowledge, all of them were rufous.

I'd been wondering about yours, so I'm glad to see you post. Take care of the little one!!

Hi Bobky

Great pics. Lucky for you that you've got the little bird to brighten up your winter. I'm just interested how/if Allens hummingbird has been ruled out?

streatham said:
Hi Bobky

Great pics. Lucky for you that you've got the little bird to brighten up your winter. I'm just interested how/if Allens hummingbird has been ruled out?

Thanks Michael ,Beverly and Streatham,

That has not been ruled out;however, consensus opinion seems to be that any wintering hummingbird east of the Mississippi river is likely a Rufous.

The snow is all gone,but the temperature tonight is going to be 9F/-13° C; I'm worried.
This picture is from today.
Cheers,bob

Attachments

• 22jan04.jpg
    22jan04.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 181
Hi Bob,

People immediately seem to leap to the conclusion that any selasphorus hummer on the east coast in fall/winter must be an Rufous whereas perhaps Allen's are here more commonly (a very relative term) than they are given credit for. This page has a discussion of various recent vagrant hummers in NY including possible Allen's which people may find interesting http://users.rcn.com/pjeffrey/Hummingbirds.html#CPK02

Also bobky if it was an Allen's I think you would find yourself with the first Allen's hummingbird record for Kentucky - I would try and get some serious opinions on the bird if I were you.

Luke

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back