• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some small additions to HBW Key (2 Viewers)

JustinJansen

Netherlands
Some additions to the Key:

HBW Key - Prof. Israel Aharoni (1882-1946) Lithuanian/Israeli schoolmaster, zoologist, collector in Palestine and Syria (syn. Bubo bubo interpositus, syn. Calandrella rufescens minor, syn. Eremophila alpestris bicornis).

Comm => Born as Israel Aronowitsch in 1880 in Vidzy, Braslau, Viciebsk, Lithuania

HBW Key - Gideon Daniël van der Henst (b. 1829-fl. 1873) Dutch zoologist, explorer, collector in Madagascar with van Dam 1868-1873 (Astur).

Comm => It is unclear if he either participate in the field or helping van Dam with sorting out the data gathered in the field. He was indeed born at 26 april 1829 at Leiden.

HBW Key - Josef Peter Audebert (1848-1933) German naturalist, collector in Madagascar 1876-1882 (Pachycoccyx).

Comm=> He was employed by 1875 by Francois Pollen, and most likely started in this year.

HBW Key - M. O. E. Baddeley (b. 1934) South African collector, taxidermist at the Durban Mus. 1952 (syn. Chersomanes albofasciata, syn. Hypargos niveoguttatus macrospilotus).

Comm => Montague Oliver Edwin Baddeley

HBW Key - Otto Bamberg (1871-1942) German oologist, natural history dealer, collector in the Caucasus and Mongolia (Björn Bergenholtz in litt.) (syn. Garrulus glandarius brandtii).

Comm => He also collected at Volgograd Region, Siberia, Lake Baikal and Kyrgystan

HBW Key - Oscar Theodor Baron (1847-1926) German engineer, collector in Peru and Ecuador (subsp. Atlapetes latinuchus, subsp. Cantorchilus superciliaris, Cranioleuca, syn.Eutoxeres aquila heterurus, Metallura, subsp. Phaethornis longirostris, syn.Sakesphorus bernardi cajamarcae).

Comm => He also collected in Mexico and California

G. van der Henst

here ... ?

Clearly this is a namesake ... any other additional info on Mr. van der Henst?

In my MS I have nothing, no birth, no death, simply nothing more than "fl. 1866-1870", in Madagascar ... and that he might have continued to North America, with a certain Mr. "Provo Kluit". But if he truly did? I have no idea.

Compare with the entry in The Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names Jobling 2010, attached.

PS. Earlier (2013) also discussed in the thread Henst's Goshawk (here)
---

Attachments

• henstii, Jobling 2010.jpg
    henstii, Jobling 2010.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
van der HENST, Gideon Daniel – Dutch. B. 26.04.1829, Leiden, ZH - D. X. Son from Cornelis Dirk van der Henst (1801; 1875), organ-builder and Geertrui Segaar (1805; 1881) and he married with Divertje Klein. Little is known from him, known is he studied at Leiden. He was acquitanced to Douwe Casparus van Dam, and assisted him either in the field or when completing the data when home, the latter from van Dam’s collecting trips.

But indeed the person i'm looking at is wrong, need to restart my researches again...

Last edited:
van der HENST, Gideon Daniel – Dutch. B. 26.04.1829, Leiden, ZH - D. X. Son from Cornelis Dirk van der Henst (1801; 1875), organ-builder and Geertrui Segaar ... [...]
But indeed the person i'm looking at is wrong, ...
That´s what I thought, since he died as an infant, 13. August 1829 ;) ... and any husband of "Divertje Klein" is unknown to me, that was new info.

Please keep us updated on any progress, small or large!

I´ll do the same on whatvever I (not knowing Dutch) can find!

Cheers!

Björn

PS. There´s a "H. J. van der Henst" in the List of Noord-Holland Landverhuizers 1870 (here). "H." for Heer?
In the same List is also a "mr. A. Provo Kluit"! Both on their way to North America in 1870 ... !?
---

Last edited:
Some small help ... or not?

Justin …
Volgens de Leidsche courant hebben de heeren George Dreschler, adsistent-praeparator, en Gideon van der Henst, élève aan ´s rijks museums-van natuurliijke historie te Leieden, zich met den heer A. Provó Kluit ´s-Gravenhage, …
And onwards, seems like a trail to follow? If you know the language. From Middelburgsche Courant, 9 juni 1870 (here, page 4, bottom, first Column)

Note that there´s also a Gideon Van Der Henst, born 8th of September 1850 in Leiden, Holland, Netherlands (Father: Willem Van Der Henst. Mother: Johanna Kramers).

If him he was only 16 years old when he started to collect on Madagascar!? Today we would call it Child labour, but in those days? Young, yes, but not impossible. Note that he was called "den jongen praeparateur G. van der Henst" (here, p.22; 7 March 1867); also mentioned as; "Gideon van der Henst" (27 May, 1867). Surely, in that Era, someone born in 1829 (being 38 years old) wouldn´t have been called "jongen"?

Also compare with him being called a "former student" in the OD of Accipiter henstii SCHLEGEL 1873 as "Astur Henstii":
"Lʼepithète de lʼespèce est destinée à rappeler le nom dʼun ancien élève du Museum, M. [Monsieur, Mr.] G. van der Henst, qui a assisté M. van Dam lors de ses recherches à Madagascar "
That´s all I can find. Like I wrote in the earlier thread he is "a side-track of mine", thereby I will leave him here. But I sure will stay curious on what you can find!

Please share and: Good luck pin-pointing him!

Björn
---

Last edited:
Yes, he did, Laurent, see earlier Post (here). However I still wouldn´t count him out. But I agree, it looks more and more like a long-shot.

How many Gideon van der Henst can there be, born in Leiden, in that Era? Is that a very, very common name?
Volgens de Leidsche courant hebben de heeren George Dreschler, adsistent-praeparator, en Gideon van der Henst, élève aan ´s rijks museums-van natuurliijke historie te Leieden, zich met den heer A. Provó Kluit ´s-Gravenhage, benoemd honorair adsistent van dat museum verbonden, voor diens geheele rekening eene reis te doen naar Noord-Amerika en daar 5 jaren te verblijven. Het plan der reis is gemaakt tot San Francisco, in Californië; het doel is van daar langs de noord-westkust van dat land zich inzonderheid met het schieten en inzamelen van vogels te belasten en de huiden daarvan te verzenden naar de onderscheidene musea van Europa. Die heeren, jong en ondernemend, aanvaardden ll. Zaterdag de reis, zich van hunne plannen een gunstigen uitslag voorstellende. Naar verzekerd wordt moet dat gedeelte van Californië nog maar weinig tot het inzamelen van vogels zijn bezocht geworden en moeten zich daar zeldzame soorten bevinden.
Beware on any (several?) typos in the quote above! I don´t understand the full context, simply typing away.

"These gentlemen, young and enterprising" went to the US in June 1870 … for a 5 year long survey, with the aim of collecting birds, etc. etc. Surely that guy (whenver he was born), entering the ship to San Fransisco must be the same Gideon van der Henst that collected with van Dam on Madagascar? How many Gideon van der Henst can there be connected to Natural history and the Leiden museum, in that time? Maybe he simply got ill (or something else) and he turned back home. And died!? Or not? I´ve seen nothing indicating that van der Henst remained on Madagascar after the collection of the types of "his" Goshawk in 1870 (no dates).

If he (if it´s him?) died 10 Oct 1872, it´s not impossible that Schlegel could have been unaware of this (i.e. not commemorating him as "late"), when the OD was published in July 1873.

Who knows?
---

Last edited:
I´ve seen nothing indicating that van der Henst remained on Madagascar after the collection of the types of "his" Goshawk in 1870 (no dates).
Grandidier 1885 ([snippet view in Google]--I can't find this volume in BHL) listed several places that, according to him, were visited by "Van Dam, n[aturaliste], et Van der Henst, n[aturaliste]" in 1871, and where they would have "contribué au progrès de nos connaissances sur l'île de Madagascar" (contributed to the progress of our knowledge of the island of Madagascar).
Also, Schlegel 1876 ([snippet view in Google]-- you have quoted this yourself elsewhere) wrote (about Pollen) "Après son retour en Europe, son compagnon de voyage, M. van Dam, aidé du préparateur van der Henst, a poursuivi cette tâche jusqu'en 1871", which at the very least suggests that they both remained in Madagascar until 1871.

But, granted, Grandidier might conceivably have been misinformed. And Schlegel's account of the situation is somewhat off, as it also suggests that only Pollen went back to Europe, while van Dam stayed in Madagascar until 1871, which is certainly not what happened.

Well, as nobody seems to know, for sure, where "G. van der Henst" ended up after 1870 … this far I will stick to my (short and incomplete) conclusion (Post # 12) in the thread Henst's Goshawk (here)

henstii (in short)
= Gideon van der Henst (fl. 1870) collector in Madagascar 1866-1870.

That much I think we know.

Mr. van der Henst (again) … over and out!
---

Last edited:
HBW Key - Prof. Israel Aharoni (1882-1946) Lithuanian/Israeli schoolmaster, zoologist, collector in Palestine and Syria (syn. Bubo bubo interpositus, syn. Calandrella rufescens minor, syn. Eremophila alpestris bicornis).

Comm => Born as Israel Aronowitsch in 1880 in Vidzy, Braslau, Viciebsk, Lithuania

Vidzy is in current-day Belarus. I think at the time of this person's birth, it was part of the Russian Empire, but my history is a little shaky here :)

In a Lyon newspaper 9/15/1872 is notice of the return? of MM van Dam et van der Henst in Toulon from Bourbon? And Nosy be and Mayotte.
http://collections.bm-lyon.fr/PER00317389/PAGE0_PDF .
"On lit dans le Toulonnais que le transport la Seine, arrivé en rade à Toulon, le 9 du courant, venant de Bourbon, après avoir touché aux îles de Nossibé et Mayotte, a amené deux naturalistes hollandais, MM. Van Dam et Van Der Henst.
Ces intrépides voyageurs rentrent dans leur patrie après avoir exploré les régions les plus malsaines de Madagascar, le nord et l'ouest, ou aucun naturaliste n'avait encore pénétré, durant huit années consécutives qu'ils ont employées à enrichir les musées de l'Europe d'une foule d'objets d'histoire naturelle, mammifères et oiseaux principalement, la plupart jusqu'alors inconnus."

(We read in the Toulonnais that the carrier ship la Seine, that reached the harbor at Toulon, on the 9th of the current month, coming from Bourbon, after touching the islands of Nossibé and Mayotte, brought back two Dutch naturalists, Messrs. Van Dam and Van Der Henst.
These intrepid travellers are returning to their homeland after having explored the most unhealthy regions of Madagascar, the north and the west, that no naturalist had yet entered, for eight consecutive years that they used to enrich the museums of Europe with a host of natural history objects, mostly mammals and birds, most of them previously unknown.)

:t: Good find.

So, if this is correct, the Gideon van der Henst who travelled to Madagascar cannot have been the one who was planning a trip to North America in Leiden in 1870.
But he could still be the one who died on 10 Oct 1872 (31 days after having reached Toulon) in Leiden...?

-----
PS - I've attached the death registration from the site I linked above, but straightened up and restored to a positive to make it more easily readable. Perhaps a native Dutch-speaker might have a look? I think I see he was a smith? (..."in het huis op de Cellebroersgracht, binnen deze gemeente overleden is: Gideon van der Henst, oud twee en twintig jaren, Smid, geboren te Leiden", etc.) I so, he is another wrong track. But I'm not sure I'm reading this word correctly.

Attachments

• death registration Gideon van der Henst.jpg
    death registration Gideon van der Henst.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Vidzy is in current-day Belarus. I think at the time of this person's birth, it was part of the Russian Empire, but my history is a little shaky here :)
...and not only yours, I think. ;)
According to Wikipedia, within the Russian Empire, Vidzy was in the Kovno governorate, most of which now make up the northern part of Lithuania.
On the 1888 map [here], Vidzy is the lowest marked town in the green area on the right-hand side of the map (Видзы in Cyrillic; but it's written in cursive, which I can't reproduce here and looks a bit different [perhaps closer to "Вuδзы"]).

...and not only yours, I think. ;)
According to Wikipedia, within the Russian Empire, Vidzy was in the Kovno governorate, most of which now make up the northern part of Lithuania.
On the 1888 map [here], Vidzy is the lowest marked town in the green area on the right-hand side of the map (Видзы in Cyrillic; but it's written in cursive, which I can't reproduce here and looks a bit different [perhaps closer to "Вuδзы"]).

This link summarizes the history a little, also mentions your Yisrael Aharoni - maybe he considered himself an ethnic Lithuanian (?), but it was Russian Empire at the time of his birth and is it certainly is not part of northern Lithuania today (about 30 km wrong side of the border).

Surely the sentence "Born as Israel Aronowitsch in 1880 in Vidzy, Braslau, Viciebsk, Lithuania" can not be correct by any definition.

Incidently they give his birth as 1882, not 1880.

... and any husband of "Divertje Klein" is unknown to me, that was new info.
Civil registration of marriage [here].
"In het jaar achttien honderd zeventig, den achttienden Mei"; "Gideon Daniel van der Henst, jongman, oud vijfentwintig jaren, timmerman, geboren te Leiden"; "Divertje Klein, jongedochter, oud eenendertig jaren, zonder beroep, geboren te Amsterdam".
("In the year 1870, on the 18th of May"; "Gideon Daniel van der Henst, bachelor, aged 25, carpenter, born in Leiden"; "Divertje Klein, maiden, aged 31, without profession, born in Amsterdam".)
The "10 February 1845" added in pencil at the level of his name is presumably the date of birth of this Gideon van der Henst.

The marriage took place in 1870, so this won't be "the man of the goshawk" if the latter did not return from Madagascar before 1872. (Not to mention that it would be odd, to say the least, to see him presented as a carpenter.) Nor can this be Gideon the smith(?) who died in Leiden, unmarried, aged 22 in 1872, as neither ages, nor marital status coincide. And it would also be pretty surprising, for a student at 's rijks museum van natuurlijke historie, to get married as a carpenter, barely more than two weeks before his participation in a five-year collecting trip to North America is announced in the Leidsche Courant ([original article here], 6 June 1870); thus Gideon the 1870 student is presumably still another person...

By the way:
PS. There´s a "H. J. van der Henst" in the List of Noord-Holland Landverhuizers 1870 (here). "H." for Heer?
In the same List is also a "mr. A. Provo Kluit"! Both on their way to North America in 1870 ... !?
There's also a G.A. Drechsler on the same list, hence it looks like the three of them were on their way to North America in 1870... But as, in this source, the initials of this van der Henst do not include any "G.", maybe he wasn't named "Gideon", after all? The only source that calls him by this name is a newspaper article, and the way the news item is introduced suggests second-hand info ("We vernemen dat": "We hear that").

-----
PS -
"On lit dans le Toulonnais que ... etc."
Original news item in le Toulonnais: 12 Sep 1872; [here], navigate to view 433 (/ 619), right-hand page, first column, second item under "Chronique locale". Adds nothing in comparison to the note in the Journal de Lyon.

Last edited:
"On lit dans le Toulonnais que le transport la Seine, arrivé en rade à Toulon, le 9 du courant, venant de Bourbon, après avoir touché aux îles de Nossibé et Mayotte, a amené deux naturalistes hollandais, MM. Van Dam et Van Der Henst.
Ces intrépides voyageurs rentrent dans leur patrie après avoir exploré les régions les plus malsaines de Madagascar, le nord et l'ouest, ou aucun naturaliste n'avait encore pénétré, durant huit années consécutives qu'ils ont employées à enrichir les musées de l'Europe d'une foule d'objets d'histoire naturelle, mammifères et oiseaux principalement, la plupart jusqu'alors inconnus."

(We read in the Toulonnais that the carrier ship la Seine, that reached the harbor at Toulon, on the 9th of the current month, coming from Bourbon, after touching the islands of Nossibé and Mayotte, brought back two Dutch naturalists, Messrs. Van Dam and Van Der Henst.
These intrepid travellers are returning to their homeland after having explored the most unhealthy regions of Madagascar, the north and the west, that no naturalist had yet entered, for eight consecutive years that they used to enrich the museums of Europe with a host of natural history objects, mostly mammals and birds, most of them previously unknown.)

:t: Good find.

So, if this is correct, the Gideon van der Henst who travelled to Madagascar cannot have been the one who was planning a trip to North America in Leiden in 1870.
But he could still be the one who died on 10 Oct 1872 (31 days after having reached Toulon) in Leiden...?

-----
PS - I've attached the death registration from the site I linked above, but straightened up and restored to a positive to make it more easily readable. Perhaps a native Dutch-speaker might have a look? I think I see he was a smith? (..."in het huis op de Cellebroersgracht, binnen deze gemeente overleden is: Gideon van der Henst, oud twee en twintig jaren, Smid, geboren te Leiden", etc.) I so, he is another wrong track. But I'm not sure I'm reading this word correctly.
It is indeed Smid (= Blacksmidt)

It is indeed Smid (= Blacksmidt)
Thanks, Justin. Then I think it is extremely unlikely that this man had just returned from Madagascar, where he had spent several years collecting birds and mammals...
"Gideon van der Henst" really seems to have been a very common name back then in Leiden. ;)

Last edited:
Just try to reopen thta thread with what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds states:

Henst's Goshawk Accipiter henstii Schlegel, 1873
Gideon van der Henst (DNF) was a former student at the Leiden Museum who assisted Douwe Van Dam (q.v.) on his second expedition to Madagascar (1868–1873).

At least here we can read:

According to a notice in the annual report for 1866-1867 , van Dam was to be accompanied by Gideon van der Henst, an "élève" at the Museum; however, as in 1870 G. van der Henst and the son of Mr Drechsler, the custodian of the Museum, were to accompany a Mr A. Provó Kluit on a collecting expedition to NW America, van der Henst's trip to Madagascar evidently did not materialize or was cut short.

But sure already discussed here (I think)

HBW Key - M. O. E. Baddeley (b. 1934) South African collector, taxidermist at the Durban Mus. 1952 (syn. Chersomanes albofasciata, syn. Hypargos niveoguttatus macrospilotus).

Comm => Montague Oliver Edwin Baddeley

Chersomanes albofasciata baddeleyi Clancey, 1959 OD here
Remarks: Named for Mr. M. O. E. Baddeley, taxidermist of the Durban Museum, by whose energy so much valuable lark material was obtained in the Asbestos Mountains during the recent Durban Museum Expedition.
Hypargos niveoguttatus baddeleyi Wolters, 1972 OD here
Eine von Mr. M. O. E. Baddeley bei Nacala im Küstengebiet Nord-Mocambiques gesammelte kleine Serie...
Nach ihrem Sammler benenne ich die neue Rasse.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims
Spike-heeled Lark ssp. Chersomanes albofasciata baddeleyi Clancey, 1959 NCR [NUI C. albofasciata albofasciata]
Peters's Twinspot ssp. Hypargos niveoguttatus baddeleyi Wolters, 1972 NCR [JS Hypargos niveoguttatus macrospilotus]
M. O. E. Baddeley (b.1934) was a South African collector and taxidermist at the Durban Museum (1952). He was in Mozambique (1960).

The Key to Scientific Names (as of today)
Montague Oliver Edwin Baddeley (b. 1934) South African collector, taxidermist at the Durban Mus. 1952 (Justin Jansen in litt.) (syn. Chersomanes albofasciata, syn. Hypargos niveoguttatus macrospilotus).

I found he was/is married to Petronella Gertruida Baddeley and a son is Mark Vincent Oliver Baddeley. If he is still alive or not is unknown to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back