• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular pocket of good quality? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
Now, I am loking for a true pocket binocular, for randon,nature,some bird, architecture, with good optics and mechanical quality, I see somo binoculars like Leica 8x20,Zeiss 8x20,Swaro. 8x25 and Zeiss Terra 8x25..I think that a 10x25 model is not valid for my tremors...
Any recomendations are welcome...
Thanks for your opinions and advice..
Wachi

I'm quite new here so I don't have the experience that many others have but I did get a Terra 8x25 and will give my thoughts about it.

A few years ago I looked for a pocket bino and tried Leica 8x20 and Zeiss Victory 8x20 but didn't really like them because of the small exit pupil.
But they are really pocketable.

Later on I got a Nikon 8x25 but it had a rather dull image and a lot of veiling glare that bothered me.

In my search for a good and affordable bino I found the Terra ED 8x 25 that I got and like a lot. It is really a great bino IMHO.

I also had a look at the Swaro 8x25 that feels better quality wise and maybe also in image but much more expensive. Also had a brief look through a Zeiss Victory 8x25 that is a step up from the Terra but also more expensive.

The 8x25 size is for me the best compromise between being small for the pocket and giving good ergonomics. I'll guess it depends what you consider pocket size and what you feel works good for you regarding ergonomics and image quality.

If I should do this again I would still get the Terra unless I suddenly had a lot more money to spend on a pocket bino, then it would probably be the Swaro or Victory.

There is also a Kowa 8x22 Genesis that is nice and expensive but smaller exit pupil than 8x25.

Try them out before you decide!

Pocket Binos

I do not use this format too often, and have not tried the aforementioned models, but take a look at the Nikon LX L 8X20, nice little glass with very good optics, decent eye relief, water proof and weigh ~270 grams.

Andy W.

Last edited:
I went through this process recently and got the zeiss terra 8x25,
and am very happy with it.
I will concede that the SW and new Zeiss are better, and more expensive;
but for the $300 price the terra is much more practical

edj

Last edited:
If you want the best optics price no object it would be either the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P or the new Zeiss Victory 8x25. I have looked through both of them and IMO the Swarovski is a tad better. Quality wise the Swarovski is definitely better and there have been several complaints about the quality of the Zeiss Victory 8x25 here on Bird Forum. IMO the 8x20's are too finicky for me. I tried the Zeiss Terra 8x25 and thought it was a big step down from the alpha compacts both quality and optics. IMO it seemed cheap in build quality and the hinges were loose. I returned it.

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/Swarovski8x25CLPocket-126.htm

Last edited:
As a free gift for being a good customer my mother once recieved through the post a pair of 8x21 green rubber Armoured binoculars and also a 8x21 minocular by Helios perhaps next to nothing to buy now, but I,ve always found them useful Indoors and they are sturdy quality which I,m sure will make them last for many years.

I have both the Leica Ultravid 8x20 BL and the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. The Zeiss are definitely more comfortable, similar to 8x32s, but I wouldn’t call them truly pocketable.

Another contender is the new Swarovski 8x30 CL.

I have the new Swarovski 8x30 CL. It is a little jewel. Swarovski makes pretty good binoculars. Probably overall the best if you want to pay for that last 5% of performance when you consider optics and quality and customer service if they have their focuser issues solved. In every size they have either THE best or close to the best from the 8x25 CL-P, 8x30 CL, 8x32 SV, 8.5x42 SV and the 10x50 SV.

the terra 8x25 and 10x25 would be the best bang award winners in my book....or you could spend twice to three times as much.....

I'm on the same quest for a "pocket" bino lately, and struggling with its contradictions: the smaller and cuter, the less useful. In all kinds of ways. Not just finicky double hinges and tiny exit pupils, but eyecups so small they can no longer go around your eyes, and sadly limited fields of view. There is really no perfect solution, only compromises, and the choice whether even to make them. Perhaps a wise person would just be more willing to carry a "real" bino, especially if (as in my case) it's a 32mm which is fairly small already but thoroughly satisfying.

All that said, I lean toward the 8x25 experience. The one model I've actually tried is the new Zeiss Victory. In many ways, especially a wider field of view, I think it's the way to go at the moment (if you actually want to go). It's not shirt- or pants-pocket size, but folded up will easily fit in a coat pocket or small belt pouch (sadly not provided), and it delivers a viewing experience you can enjoy for some time. It also seems well built, if you can get a good one, without defects. I may try again at some point, if Leica doesn't make an 8x25 first, as I wish they would. Good luck!

Last edited:
8x20 can work well and not be too fiddly if you wear glasses (so eyecup size becomes irrelevant) and the hinges have positive stops (like those on the Leica Ultravid) so that one side can be unfolded all the way and the other side used to adjust IPD. I love the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL for its excellent optics, handling, and construction. The Zeiss 8x25 Terra is much larger and the first two units I've tried have been unacceptable (loose hinges and optical flaws). When I receive the next warranty replacement from Zeiss (currently pending), I'll let you know if it is good.

--AP

8x20 can work well and not be too fiddly if you wear glasses (so eyecup size becomes irrelevant) and the hinges have positive stops (like those on the Leica Ultravid) so that one side can be unfolded all the way and the other side used to adjust IPD. I love the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL for its excellent optics, handling, and construction. The Zeiss 8x25 Terra is much larger and the first two units I've tried have been unacceptable (loose hinges and optical flaws). When I receive the next warranty replacement from Zeiss (currently pending), I'll let you know if it is good.

--AP
"The Zeiss 8x25 Terra is much larger and the first two units I've tried have been unacceptable (loose hinges and optical flaws). When I receive the next warranty replacement from Zeiss (currently pending), I'll let you know if it is good."

What is it with Zeiss QA lately? I keep hearing about these QA issues with their binoculars even the new Victory 8x25's. The older Zeiss were high quality almost all the time. Do they need some management changes or what? New QA Director?

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=354369

Last edited:
denco...you may have a wait ahead of you...talked with Zeiss yesterday...they are not expecting the next shipment of 8x25 terra bins until the end of February.....they offered me a 10x25 instead for a 8x25 I sent back for loose hinge problems way back in May.....since we had 2 of the 8x25 terra model [mine and wife's] I told them to ship the 10x25 as long as its NIB....liked the 8x slightly better when I bought them, but was tired of waiting for a replacement.....what the hell the 10x will be fine as long as everything works.....

I continue to have mixed feelings about my pockets.

Small size is convenient but I see more/easier in larger binoculars.
Is the compromise worth it ???

Another reason to get the good enough Terras instead of spending 2X for the best.

edj

Last edited:
You may also want to consider the Kowa Genesis 8x22. They have pocketability that rivals the Leica Ultravid 8x20, a nice glass, and a much wider field of view. They also have a very solid build quality.

I continue to have mixed feelings about my pockets.

Small size is convenient but I see more/easier in larger binoculars.
Is the compromise worth it ???

Another reason to get the good enough Terras instead of spending 2X for the best.

edj
"Small size is convenient but I see more/easier in larger binoculars.
Is the compromise worth it ???"

No. Get an 8x30.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back