• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mocking Bird Singing at night (1 Viewer)

Danielbirdwatcher

Danielbirdwatcher
My wife and I have been experienced Mocking Birds singing at night lately. I read they will sing at night during the breeding season but this is keeping us up sometimes. Crazy huh?;)

Next question to ponder - Mockingbirds are well-known for imitating other birds.

But how & where did they learn to do a note-perfect imitation of a European Song Thrush??

I've experience just this thing lately from a Mockingbird and all night long...same bird too. But it's starting to be very comforting to hear for me now because I know he is just doing what he does best.
Also I have grown very fond of this one bird for weeks now..always good to see him sitting on his favorite perch and he is doing ok.

This brings back memories as a kid on the farm sleeping with windows open on a hot summer night and listening to the Mocking bird sing his tunes while perched high on his favorite perch, the windmill.

We had an experience this summer with a Mockingbird singing all night.
We stopped in a town along the St Johns River to visit with a niece who lived there.
We parked our RV overnight (with permission) in a Wynn Dixie parking lot.
We were under a street lamp along the edge, next to a rather large Crepe Myrtle.
No sooner than we shut our eyes, this fellow started up with song.
He was quite remarkable. I had never heard so many riffs and variations from a single bird.
While feeling a bit irate with him keeping me awake, I was fascinated.

I remember from when I was a youngster in Florida, Mockingbirds could imitated the audible part of an Alligator's mating bellow.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back