• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field guide for whole indonesia (1 Viewer)

Possibly a strategic agreement to avoid a negative affect on the imminent guide for New Guinea by the same publisher?

I'd think it would have more to do with not wanting to add to the guide 100s of additional species from what is usually considered a different biogeographic region (Australasia).

Is there any reason why Garrulax rufifrons is treated as monotypic? Why do they lumped the subspecies slatamatensis with the nominate race?

An interesting detail that I noted positively: The lettering on the spine is from the top down as customary in English language books. For a while Lynx did it that way, but then changed, claiming they wanted to follow the way it is done in Spain. Thus the Peregrine book has the spine text such that it is upside down when the book is placed horizontally (and front cover up). I have never understood why Germans and some few keep doing it in such a dumb way. But it is particularly absurd to have some English books done in that way, as it impedes quick searches in a bookshelf. So seeing this Lynx book done the "right" way is a small positive sign. They have not adjusted their Lynx name, however. I can live with that. :-O

Just had an initial delve into it and am really enjoying it. Some of the species names are going to take a little getting used to and with 20 species of Spangled Drongos plenty of armchair ticks to come if these get more widely adopted.

I got my copy yesterday (direct from Lynx - surely the way to go) and it is magnificent.

One early point, given the number of splits (Drongos! White-eyes!), it is then surprising where the conservative position is adopted, the obvious example being the Red-bellied Pitta group. One for the second edition perhaps!

cheers, alan

I got my copy yesterday (direct from Lynx - surely the way to go) and it is magnificent.

One early point, given the number of splits (Drongos! White-eyes!), it is then surprising where the conservative position is adopted, the obvious example being the Red-bellied Pitta group. One for the second edition perhaps!

cheers, alan

Good thing I don't care about species numbers. These things would drive me crazy! :-O

Received my copy yesterday so only superficial view so far but a couple of things:

1. above all else...a grand step forwards and money well spent
2. agree re. the plates: while it's nice not to open a new field guide and immediately reach for the marker pen to "segregate" the species more clearly, there is an awful lot of space and these tired eyes would've liked slightly larger figures throughout.
3. what are those five boxes on the left hand side of the maps for? Is it mentioned in the...
4. too small text...My eyes! My eyes! It's me that's old I know but a challenging read without a bright light overhead...
5. for all field guides: bolding or colouring the species AND sub-species names to make them stand out better please
6. Siberian Bluetail??? Seriously??? One record in the region gets it a new name??? On yer bike! Not even the "parent" (HBW) uses this name...yet...

So glad have it. Hope to use it sooner not later. Some things that pop out as "if only" or "if I were king for a day" items but I recognise and applaud the efforts involved to produce anything of this nature so a big :t::t::t: to all involved!

Cheers, Mark

.............4. too small text...My eyes! My eyes! It's me that's old I know but a challenging read without a bright light overhead..............., Mark

It's a problem for me as well (I'm 74). And I have compared it with the text in the new "Peterson" FG for Northern Central America. I find reading that text so much easier, but why? My impression is that Lynx uses a font that is tall but very narrow. Thus, the whole text looks like a compact block that tends to confuse where one is actually when reading. The "Peterson" instead, provides a number of "landmarks" that help along. The bold-faced print of some key features is part of the solution. The short bold dividers in the Lynx text are, apparently, not doing the same.

Some of the problems in printed sources come from the fact that people who do the layout and other graphic work are doing it on enlarging screens. And their own eyes are still young, and they readily adapt the focus when some small illustration is held a bit closer.

Last edited:
Good point Robert, how much control a writer has over "house style" would be interesting to know...not much I assume...

Good point Robert, how much control a writer has over "house style" would be interesting to know...not much I assume...

In the case of the second edition of the North American Sibley Guide, it seemed that the author had a lot of control. At least it was him who admitted pretty soon that there were some issues that would be taken care of in a second printing. And sure enough, things were straightened out.

But that is not part of a series like in the Lynx books. Nevertheless, the Lynx book on the Peregrine Falcons of the World has a completely different font that is much more legible.

Got my copy as well. Beautiful book! Makes me want to go there immediately....

Beautiful and good drawings I think. Also the rangemaps look good, wish Robsons' SE Asia guide had such maps...

Of course you can still complain about things, but that's minor issues compared to the overall quality of the book.

The main thing I don't like too much is indeed the arrangement of the range maps. Putting the maps with the text would be more in line with what other guides do. The white space in the text pages could be reduced much and the size of the drawings could be increased (some are really too small). Probably this would increase the number of the pages, but it's too big for a pocket guide anyway...

And yes, what's the purpose of the 5 boxes with the maps?

Font size is ok for me... makes me feel young when I hear you others complaining about this ;)

Some interesting renaming, e.g. first time I hear Shrike-babblers changed to Shrike-vireos... but I don't feel qualified enough to critisise this ...

first time I hear Shrike-babblers changed to Shrike-vireos... but I don't feel qualified enough to critisise this ...

Shrike-Vireos are a new World family, Shrike-Babblers are now classed with Vireonidae but I see no reason for the name change really?

I suppose a scientific name change will follow as well if they're now deemed Vireos?

Andy

Last edited:
Got mine too,
has the artwork been discussed somewhere?

The artwork is often the thing that holds up the production of a book and to say this title has happened quickly in relative terms is fair I think? Looking at the plates and the extensive list of credited artists, none of whom are named on the cover can I guess that existing artwork has been used for some species, one reason for the speed of production? Apologies if this is known or has already been discuseed.

This book will be the standard for many years to come I'm sure, at least until the second edition, I too struggle to read the font used as mentioned by a couple of people.

Many have mentioned the weight, I think it's fine, will easily go in a day bag.

Will Coates and Bishop lose it's value overnight I wonder?

Well done James

Andy

Last edited:
The majority of the illustrations are from the Lynx HBW and HBW alive set but there are obviously a large number of new illustrations for new taxa, split taxa and sub-species etc. James may know the exact number. A pity there was no repaint of some of the dreadful tubenoses - perhaps something for a future second edition.

Has anyone been through and worked out the 18 new (not split) species?

Without the book immediately to hand, I think they include:
Timor Nightjar
Alor Myzomela
Taliabu Myzomela
Roti Myzomela
Taliabu Leaf Warbler
Roti Leaf Warbler

cheers, alan

The majority of the illustrations are from the Lynx HBW and HBW alive set but there are obviously a large number of new illustrations for new taxa, split taxa and sub-species etc. James may know the exact number. A pity there was no repaint of some of the dreadful tubenoses - perhaps something for a future second edition.

Has anyone been through and worked out the 18 new (not split) species?

Without the book immediately to hand, I think they include:
Timor Nightjar
Alor Myzomela
Taliabu Myzomela
Roti Myzomela
Taliabu Leaf Warbler
Roti Leaf Warbler

cheers, alan

Mt Mutis Parrotfinch, Spectacled Flowerpecker

Really wish they had stuck to established names, Bornean Shade Dweller, Hoevell's Warbling Flycather et al.......!

A

Last edited:
Mt Mutis Parrotfinch, Spectacled Flowerpecker

Really wish they had stuck to established names, Bornean Shade Dweller, Hoevell's Warbling Flycather et al.......!

A

One of the main reasons is that the English names of the various Flycatchers were not aligned with their true relationships - the new English names sort that out.

cheers, alan

One of the main reasons is that the English names of the various Flycatchers were not aligned with their true relationships - the new English names sort that out.

cheers, alan

I'd like to see this done with the scientific name and just leave the common name alone?

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back